Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you consider Joe Gans as the Greatest Lightweight of All Times???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
    “Joe Gans was the greatest fighter of all time.” -Sam Langford in 1935.

“The greatest fighter of all time was Joe Gans.” –Abe Attell in 1949.

“There was never anybody like Gans and there probably never will be.” -Harry Lenny, boxer and trainer.

“Gans is the cleverest fighter, big or little that ever put on the gloves.” – Bob Fitzsimmons

“Joe Gans was the best fighter I ever saw” –Tad Dorgan, sportswriter.

“As a counterer he was second to none”- Billy Duffy, veteran boxing observer in 1926.

“There never was a fighter who could block with such skill and precision as Gans.” –Ben Benjamin, sportswriter.

“The amazing and wonderful and immortal Joe Gans! What a fighter!” -Jim Coffroth, boxing promoter in 1943.

“A marvel of speed and science.” – Sep 4, 1906 SF Chronicle.
    How much did those accolades help when he met McGovern?

Comment

Originally posted by louis54 View Post
      Gans might have been tops....he had everything...punch to ko a horse, footwork, defense, counterpunching, infighting, tremendous endurance....what more could anyone nwant
      I dunno, maybe PROOF?

Comment

Nice video with slow motion replays illustrating Gans skills.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=DXjqO_lo4ak

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Tromboni View Post
          I dunno, maybe PROOF?
          When have you ever, since posting here, posted any proof of your absurd Trombonisms? When have you cited one source... Even a bad source?

Comment

How much did those accolades help when he met McGovern?
            I personally believe Hand threw the fight, and there is plenty to back that.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/?cl...g-6JCS-vaohKCI

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

- -Gotta watch the fight.

McG a fast starter took away Gans legs with the first KD. Joe swinging for the fences now, none of this straight punch nonsense knowing his legs are betraying him.

Because boxing was and still is corrupt, that give an opening for drunken boxing writers who often paid others to lift their account of the fight with some whipped cream and cherry adornments for the rubes then and now.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                When have you ever, since posting here, posted any proof of your absurd Trombonisms? When have you cited one source... Even a bad source?
                Crazy Ex-girlfriend strikes again.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Too bad the fight's available, even refurbished. McGovern won fair and square. Just like he had against fellow Gans Conqueror, and Lightweight Champion, Frank Erne recently before that.

Comment

Originally posted by QueensburyRules View Post
                    - -Gotta watch the fight.

McG a fast starter took away Gans legs with the first KD. Joe swinging for the fences now, none of this straight punch nonsense knowing his legs are betraying him.

Because boxing was and still is corrupt, that give an opening for drunken boxing writers who often paid others to lift their account of the fight with some whipped cream and cherry adornments for the rubes then and now.
                    I'm not claiming it as fact, only what I believe. I've read many accounts of this fight and have seen it many times. It is what it is. The article I posted was from 1914, many years later. No reason keep calling it a fix if it wasn't. But that is just my opinion.

Comment

Too bad the fight's available, even refurbished. McGovern won fair and square. Just like he had against fellow Gans Conqueror, and Lightweight Champion, Frank Erne recently before that.
                      He absolutely won fair and square, just like Billy Fox beat LaMotta fair and square. That doesn't mean he was the better fighter or Gans was really trying, does it?

Comment

Working...
                      X