• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When do you think wilfred benitez was at his peak

I am going to say the duran fight.

yeah, at 154...

Comment

He had a couple of peak periods, but his best form overall was at 154 from Hope to Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        He had a couple of peak periods, but his best form overall was at 154 from Hope to Duran.
        Yep.

He looked great against Hearns as well, but Hearns was simply too much.

Comment

When he embarrassed Duran, for sure.

Comment

The Duran bout was a great one for Benitez. I remember Leonard commenting during the fight that 154 was too high a weight for Duran and he couldn't be affective above 147. Duran did prove him wrong in time however.

I personally believe Benitez was best between 140 and 147 but I was impressed with his big wins over Maurice Hope and Duran at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
              When he embarrassed Duran, for sure.
              That fight was for the latin pound for pound crown and wilfred trained hard knew how to frustrate duran and carried out his fight plan to a tee.

Comment

Winning the 140 title defeating an old Cervantes is his claim to fame. After that he beat good and great fighters who were long after their prime. When he stepped up against decent fighters that were current then he lost! He had little power and to me was a boring fighter. Counter punching is a fine art but after you land a couple of combinations you have the chance to follow that up but he rarely did. Solid fundimentals and a talented boxer but a very lazy guy who sometimes had no heart for the sport. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Winning the 140 title defeating an old Cervantes is his claim to fame. After that he beat good and great fighters who were long after their prime. When he stepped up against decent fighters that were current then he lost! He had little power and to me was a boring fighter. Counter punching is a fine art but after you land a couple of combinations you have the chance to follow that up but he rarely did. Solid fundimentals and a talented boxer but a very lazy guy who sometimes had no heart for the sport. Ray
                  Some people just don't appreciate defensive fighters I guess but Benitez was a throw back to an era when fighters fought everybody to prove their skills and did not worry about protecting their undefeated records like todays lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X