No announcement yet.

When did marvin hagler peak as a fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did marvin hagler peak as a fighter

I know he was tested by the philly fighters prior to winning the title but gave away the vito fight by not finishing the fight strong. When was he at his ultimate peak?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I know he was tested by the philly fighters prior to winning the title but gave away the vito fight by not finishing the fight strong. When was he at his ultimate peak?
    I would say '80-'83. His skills and strength were at their zenith. I would say the one fight that was him at his peak was against Tony Sibson.

Comment

Which people probably couldn't tell, even a few years after that, since it was hard to find a Hagler fight on TV then, wasn't it, until he became a middleweight contender?

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
        I would say '80-'83. His skills and strength were at their zenith. I would say the one fight that was him at his peak was against Tony Sibson.
        Good shout.

Hamsho I for me but he looked better due to Hamsho's come forward style which meant he could play the boxer-puncher role very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Which people probably couldn't tell, even a few years after that, since it was hard to find a Hagler fight on TV then, wasn't it, until he became a middleweight contender?
          Many of Hagler's fights were telecast earlier in his career. Although some were telecast in and around the north east US. There was a time a bit before the Brisco Bout when he was drawing alot attention.
          Many people here might not have known this but he was the #1 contender for quite awhile before Vito gave him that shot. So long that the Ring Magazine even labeled him the "Uncrowned champion" as he waited for a shot. Amazing but he didn't just sit around and wait like fighters might do now, as the #1 contender he fought and beat five top ten contenders forcing the title shot.
          Last edited by TBear; 10-09-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Absolute peak for me was the Hearns fight in 1985!

Comment

I thought someone might say that too. He did look great in that fight and wasn't the same afterwards, so a case could be made for Hearns.

Comment

Somewhere between Minter and Hearns.

Comment

I think he was already slowing down by the time of the Hearns fight.

1981-1982 sounds about right.

But I often watch Hagler-Hearns :-)

Comment

Probably about 82-83.

Comment

Working...
                    X