No announcement yet.

Canelo's Future as a Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -GDS- View Post
    Canelo's FAR better at 160 than I thought.
    Perhaps you weren't expecting much from him at 160. I was surprised that he managed to go the distance against GGG.

If he beats GGG next time, and I think he will, he'll be the best at 160, surprisingly.
    Assuming GGG doesn't age overnight, Canelo's gonna have to dramatically improve his conditioning if he wants to beat him. Beating GGG would make Canelo the guy with the most belts at 160, but he'd also be a very vulnerable champion. Jacobs, Charlo, Andrade and Saunders are in their prime, and are arguably tougher, stylistically, for Canelo.

If he didn't have power, GGG would had KO'd him.
    Canelo's defense kept him from getting slept. If Canelo has power at 160, GGG wouldn't have been able to walk him down for most of the fight.
    Last edited by Slicc; 11-26-2017, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Diva gonna be challenging 154 pounders from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy View Post
        I didn’t bother reading your post but is that really ggg after the fight? That’s crazy

Yes that's GGG , CANELO turned him into "The Toxic Avenger".

Comment

Hey Slicc, It's like this. No matter what argument you give to represent GGG, the pro Canelo clan will toss up whatever reason and rationale they can come up with to defend their fighter for receiving his gift draw. All anyone has to do is watch the fight over a few times with the volume muted to see who really won. I can't justify punch count or "judges" score cards on this one because the Byrd fiasco automatically discounts any credibility to that argument to begin with. This fight and a lot of todays modern fights almost have that feel of being scripted out like a professional wrestling match. About the only way to get a clear (and fair) winner and loser now days is to see either one boxer totally dominate another man into submission (ref intervening), or simply one guy ko'ing the other guy. Only after GGG KO's Canelo in the rematch will you be able you stifle your critics.

Comment

Originally posted by Floyd's Mask View Post
            you donT think it's smart? Yet Abel Sanchez said ''when Gennady moves up in popularity, he's going to have to move up, and it may be at 175....'' (2014)

''not now, Ward is too much for me...'' - Lil'G

I don't which one I like to believe more, that Lil'G was a puss-y to never own up to his capibilities, or they just lied....

I doubt they would lie, Gennady is good enough, has amazing response time on attacks when he's not trolling against weaker opposition as seen against Jacobs and Nelo...

Therefore, it's most likely they're just scared, and feeding off some Mexican legacy that Alvarez brought to him.

If you were Canelo Alvarez, you'd see exactly what LiL'G and Loeffler and Abel have been doing, as Chepo Reynoso said to Abel, ''Abel, you said Tirple G has a Mexican style, but I'm telling you, I, Chepo Reynoso, says that Canelo has style, and HE's Mexican.''

THat's the most classic response, professionally and diplomatic that made Abel shıt in his pants forever on video, and Abel brought that on himself. Reynoso was saying, ''we see what you're doing, but as long as we've coached, I've got the Mexican fighter.''

that shıt just destroyed Abel's pride...and he knows it!'

The Hate is real

Comment

Originally posted by REYESdelBOXEO View Post
              Yes that's GGG , CANELO turned him into "The Toxic Avenger".
              I still think ggg won but damn never seen him that bruised

Comment

Originally posted by Slicc View Post
                Perhaps you weren't expecting much from him at 160. I was surprised that he managed to go the distance against GGG.

Assuming GGG doesn't age overnight, Canelo's gonna have to dramatically improve his conditioning if he wants to beat him. Beating GGG would make Canelo the guy with the most belts at 160, but he'd also be a very vulnerable champion. Jacobs, Charlo, Andrade and Saunders are in their prime, and are arguably tougher, stylistically, for Canelo.

Canelo's defense kept him from getting slept. If Canelo has power at 160, GGG wouldn't have been able to walk him down for most of the fight.
                I’m not sure canelo can beat Jacobs. That is a real test for him cause Danny is prime and much bigger

Comment

If G beats Canelo by KO the detractors won't stop. Its personal for them..

Comment

Originally posted by Slicc View Post
                    To be frank, I think Canelo's stamina will really screw him over at 160. He started off strong against GGG, but his activity took a major hit going into the middle rounds. It got so bad, that the judges had to save him. He has the size of a middleweight, but the other top level middleweights don't gas out like Canelo does. This isn't the first time this has happened, either. Canelo was putting in work on Austin Trout, but slowed himself down to the point that Trout wound up walking him down in the late rounds. If it weren't for the knockdown, the judges might've had to rob him blind. GGG was walking Canelo down too, but for much longer than Trout did. Against GGG, Canelo gave away rounds, because he could only manage to fight hard for like a minute, before going back to getting tagged on the ropes. Canelo was even slouched on his stool, during one of the breaks. I don't think he's gonna be able to deal with guys like Saunders, Jacobs, and Charlo. Hell, if he gasses out against even Lemieux, things could get ugly. If he doesn't do something about his conditioning, even the judges won't be able to help him. Tell me what you guys think, below.

Predictions for potential Canelo matchups

Daniel Jacobs, Demetrius Andrade and Jermall Charlo: I was initially going to do separate sections for each of them, but they all have many of the same advantages over Canelo. All three of them are around 6ft tall, have reaches ranging from 73-74in long, have knockout power, and are technically sound boxers. Canelo's also technically sound, but he's 5'9, and his reach is 70.5in long. If I had to list them from most to least powerful, It'd go like this: Jacobs, Charlo, then Andrade. Canelo's gonna have to work his way past their jabs, land effective punches on the inside, and move out before getting countered. 65-35 Jacobs. 60-40 Charlo. Canelo 50/Andrade 50.

Billy Joe Saunders: Saunders is a slick boxer, but according to his match against Monroe Jr, may get a bit wild with his punches. His reach is longer than Canelo's by an inch, and he's 2 inches taller than him too. I think this would be similar to Canelo vs Lara. Canelo, being the shorter man overall, would probably be the one pressing the fight. Saunders would probably be looking to counter Canelo coming in. Saunders looked pretty bad against the guy he fought before Monroe Jr, and hasn't been very active either, so I think Canelo has the edge. 55-45 Canelo.

David Lemieux: Lemieux's an inch taller than Canelo, and his reach is a 1/2 inch shorter. Lemieux's a pretty basic boxer. He pretty much just applies pressure until he knocks his opponent out, or vise-versa. GGG and Lemieux are similar in terms of power, but GGG couldn't stagger Canelo, so I doubt Lemieux would either. Lemieux has a solid chin, so I don't think he'd be afraid of Canelo's power. I think this match would go similarly to Canelo vs GGG, except Lemieux would probably take many more hits than the latter did. 60-40 Canelo.

GGG (rematch): GGG chased Canelo onto the ropes, and tagged him a bunch of times. Canelo did take the early rounds pretty easily, but he gassed out. He also did land some clean shots throughout the fight, but they were mostly few and far between. If Canelo doesn't gas out so early, he has a good chance at beating GGG by decision. However, stamina has been Canelo's issue for a while, so I don't think it's gonna be improved. I see a rematch going similar to how their actual fight went. 60-40 GGG.

Interesting! Let's let them fight again. GGG looked no so spectacular getting hit wit 4/5 piece combinations.

Latin Latin Lalin loves Carlito's way.. I'll refrain from picking sides.. Go to war homie!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                      If G beats Canelo by KO the detractors won't stop. Its personal for them..
                      Tony, let the best Jan win! You my brother! Best man win!

Comment

Working...
                      X