No announcement yet.

I was never sold on Sergio Martinez the guy contradicts himself bad

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hectari View Post
    huh insane to move up? Yet Marquez can move up and dominate Pacquiao, Pac and Floyd can move up and be outweighed and still win they came from lower divisions.

Stop dude, why are you protecting Sergio, and he was the goods he never had skill to begin with his last fight proved it, he is clumsy and awkward, he would hunch low with his hands down backing out and throwing that wild over hand punch, and than occasional snot out some boogers pressing his nostril with his glove.

His style is atrocious, no fundamentals at all. the guy should move up seriously what else is left for him if he is so great. Roy Jones and James Toney and B hop moved up.
    I'm not defending Martinez's words, a lot of crap came out of his mouth and he is a hypocrite but I don't care for none of that. I'm simply saying that arguably losing to an average fighter in Murray, that in itself should keep him away from 168. Also, you do know Martinez started at 147 right?

Originally posted by Wenger Is God View Post
    The age and injuries are an excuse. Sergio is one of my favourite fighters and I thought he'd wipe the floor with those three who are quite average boxers but they exposed his flaws.

Sergio looked great against guys like Williams and Pavlik cos they walked onto his shots all night. Barker/Macklin/Murray showed that if you stay cautious with a good defence, Sergio becomes predictable with his combinations and you can time him with straight punches up the middle.
    Ok...

Comment

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
      Ok...
      They are. Why did he struggle with three guys who adopted similar strategies? Its not a coincidence.

Comment

Sergio Martinez answers when asked about going up to 168 to challenge the top guys an going up in weight, Sergio tells ESPN:

"But going up directly to 168 would be suicidal. I walk around at less than 168 when I'm not even training, usually at about 165. I'm definitely not ready for that division."

Sergio Martinez on fighting Manny Pacquiao at 150 pounds , Sergio tells Ring magazine:

"It's an incredible effort for my body. I walk around at 178 with a maximum of 3.2 percent body fat. I have very little body fat and I'm very muscular. To go down to that weight can be fatal to my health."

I was never sold on Martinez. People bigged him up because he wasn't Floyd or Pacman and they needed a guy to praise because they didn't want to praise either guy. His footwork is so ugly, his hands down style is clumsy and atrocious not in a nice way either. Plus he keeps saying Golovkin isn't worthy or his people have been saying that, his promoter has been doing his fair share of cherry picking, just like when they didn't want to fight Pirog after he KO Danny Jacobs.

Also them not willing to go up to 168, saying he is too small, well too small yet you walk around at 180 and than lie about it saying you are too small for 168 which is it? if Floyd, JMM, and Pacman can fight at 147 and basically only put 2 pounds above the limit on fight night and dominate against guys who weigh more why can't Sergio? If he is great he should challenge Ward at 168 he will be fresh and not have to cut much weight which is taxing on his aging body at this point.

Sergio seems to be getting a pass, 168 is not too big for him at this stage in his career if there is nothing left for you if you don't want to fight Golovkin go up to fight Ward or Froch or one of those top guys. Why go back down to 154 when you already have a drained out face with no meat on it?
        Never sold on Pac. Never sold on Hologram Tupac either.

Comment

His style is atrocious, no fundamentals at all. the guy should move up seriously what else is left for him if he is so great. Roy Jones and James Toney and B hop moved up.
          Roy Jones, B hop, and Tony are also much larger men especially when 2 out of the 3 fought at Heavyweight and won titles.

I know it's hard for you to grasp this but weight classes were invented for a reason. And sergio has already fought in 3 diffrent weight classes. Im sure if any fighter moves up in weight enough times they will eventually get to a division where they are way to small and will get beat so that it's really lame criticism if all you got is "Sergio should move up in weight". Come on man Im sure if Floyd or Pac kept moving up in weight they would eventually get to a weight class where they would be ineffective.

And I also wouldn't be talking about fundamentals and then Mention Roy Jones jr in the same breath. If anyone had sheeety fundamentals it was Roy.

Comment

All 3, Martinez Floyd and Pacman are walking contradictions. All 3 are cherrypickers and I cannot wait for all 3 to retire. I don't really support Martinez anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
              All 3, Martinez Floyd and Pacman are walking contradictions. All 3 are cherrypickers and I cannot wait for all 3 to retire. I don't really support Martinez anymore.
              Do you really want to start calling another fighter a cherry picker? You only need to look at your avatar homeboy!

Comment

He does contradict himself often. When Canelo fought on the same day he did he told Canelo he was going back to 154 to KO Canelo and teach him a lesson. Soon after that Canelo tried to get a fight with him at 154 and he told Canelo 160 or no fight. He is always giving himself the #2 spot PFP. right behind Mayweather. I don't rate him in the top ten pfp. anymore after his last fight. I don't think he is the best middleweight in the world either. I think GGG. is the best at 160 and Martinez knows it and won't ever fight GGG.

Comment

Sergio Martinez answers when asked about going up to 168 to challenge the top guys an going up in weight, Sergio tells ESPN:

"But going up directly to 168 would be suicidal. I walk around at less than 168 when I'm not even training, usually at about 165. I'm definitely not ready for that division."

Sergio Martinez on fighting Manny Pacquiao at 150 pounds , Sergio tells Ring magazine:

"It's an incredible effort for my body. I walk around at 178 with a maximum of 3.2 percent body fat. I have very little body fat and I'm very muscular. To go down to that weight can be fatal to my health."

I was never sold on Martinez. People bigged him up because he wasn't Floyd or Pacman and they needed a guy to praise because they didn't want to praise either guy. His footwork is so ugly, his hands down style is clumsy and atrocious not in a nice way either. Plus he keeps saying Golovkin isn't worthy or his people have been saying that, his promoter has been doing his fair share of cherry picking, just like when they didn't want to fight Pirog after he KO Danny Jacobs.

Also them not willing to go up to 168, saying he is too small, well too small yet you walk around at 180 and than lie about it saying you are too small for 168 which is it? if Floyd, JMM, and Pacman can fight at 147 and basically only put 2 pounds above the limit on fight night and dominate against guys who weigh more why can't Sergio? If he is great he should challenge Ward at 168 he will be fresh and not have to cut much weight which is taxing on his aging body at this point.

Sergio seems to be getting a pass, 168 is not too big for him at this stage in his career if there is nothing left for you if you don't want to fight Golovkin go up to fight Ward or Froch or one of those top guys. Why go back down to 154 when you already have a drained out face with no meat on it?
                  I don't agree with that. Sergio's been touting for AGES about how he wants to secure a mega-fight with either Floyd or Manny, even at 150 CW. I'm pretty sure he's brought that up again, just last Fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    I'll never understand you then, recently you commended Martinez for getting down with a much larger man in Chavez Jr. You don't think Martinez will fight Golovkin in the future? I am almost certain he will, I also feel that he will inevitably get knocked off but still square up with the man. I think your problem is that your looking for a Roberto Duran, in the sense of a fighter who isn't looking to gain an advantage, and that in itself is a rarity. Even Paul Williams asked for a catch weight against Martinez, and Paul had balls.

Comment

Lol some of you guys in here seen a little slow. im almost positive Martinez does not walk around at 178 lmao.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X