No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Anthony Joshua-Alexander Povetkin: Afterthoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluemax View Post
    Stop trying to put lipstick on a pig!!! In the end Joshua once again fought a 39 year old guy he towered over and outweighed by almost 30 pounds!!!! He beat him and had a hard time doing it. All this fight did was to show why Joshua avoids any real punchers his own size like Ortiz or Wilder.
    Yes, Joshua struggled with 39 year old Povetkin, but Wilder almost got KO'd by 38 year old Ortiz! Both Povetkin and Ortiz are dangerous fighters, despite their age. Joshua's record is at least as good (but actually a bit better) as Wilder's. Until these two meet in the ring, we won't know which one is the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
      Tell me which rounds Povetkin won?
      I had him winning 4 rounds

Comment

Yet Joshua should go to the most corrupt country on the planet which is the US?

Ortiz was clearly winning their fight, yet the judges had Wilder winning. So yeah.
        Wilder getting jobbed at Wembley sounds like a dead cert, as does Joshua getting jobbed in Vegas or Texas.

Is it my imagination, or does New York have a better record in recent years ? I'm sure back in Don King's heyday it didn't, but I don't remember any howlers coming out of NY for a while (compared to Vegas and Texas at least). Germany also seems to have cleaned up its act a bit - wasn't too long ago that to beat Sturm you had to knock him out at least twice, but some recent results have been surprising in how the judges reflected hat actually happened in the ring.

So for me its a hit-list of places to avoid at all costs for fair judging. Vegas, Texas, UK are pretty much up there.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
          I had him winning 4 rounds
          I asked you which rounds, not how many.

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
            Wilder getting jobbed at Wembley sounds like a dead cert, as does Joshua getting jobbed in Vegas or Texas.

Is it my imagination, or does New York have a better record in recent years ? I'm sure back in Don King's heyday it didn't, but I don't remember any howlers coming out of NY for a while (compared to Vegas and Texas at least). Germany also seems to have cleaned up its act a bit - wasn't too long ago that to beat Sturm you had to knock him out at least twice, but some recent results have been surprising in how the judges reflected hat actually happened in the ring.

So for me its a hit-list of places to avoid at all costs for fair judging. Vegas, Texas, UK are pretty much up there.
            Has New York cleaned up it's act recently even though The Wilder/Ortiz fight happened there? Erm, no. Garcia/Peterson and Thurman/Porter happened there with the winning fighter not getting the decision. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any fights happening there off the top of my head.

If the UK is corrupt, then you'd have no problem giving me a few fights that were robberies.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickmerch1990 View Post
              I thought povektein fought brilliantly and would beat Ortiz no problem if that fight happens who has Ortiz ever beat. Jennings is the only half decent name on the record of the Cuban. joshua now besides the other champion in wilder beaten the n2 povektein n3 whyte n4 Parker and took most the belts of the n1 of the past decade in klitschko. the guy is on the cusp of becoming one of the greats once he's wiped out lady legs Beyonce wilder
              Ortiz would have smashed that Povetkin.

Comment

If the UK is corrupt, then you'd have no problem giving me a few fights that were robberies.
                Well, without using the C-word, you just have to look at some of the scoring to come out of the UK to see its biased as fook (I'm British by the way......).

The Joshua/Povetkin cards are a good start, but have a watch of the first round of Golovkin/Brook again and tell me where else on the planet the majority of judges would give that to Brook ! I think they gave him the round just on bravery alone as he actually fought back after getting his knees buckled early in the round, never mind that Golovkin also outnumbered him in punches thrown, landed, percentage, let alone almost knocking him senseless (clean round for Brook in the second if my memory serves though).

Comment

Originally posted by angkag View Post
                  Well, without using the C-word, you just have to look at some of the scoring to come out of the UK to see its biased as fook (I'm British by the way......).

The Joshua/Povetkin cards are a good start, but have a watch of the first round of Golovkin/Brook again and tell me where else on the planet the majority of judges would give that to Brook ! I think they gave him the round just on bravery alone as he actually fought back after getting his knees buckled early in the round, never mind that Golovkin also outnumbered him in punches thrown, landed, percentage, let alone almost knocking him senseless (clean round for Brook in the second if my memory serves though).
                  I had Joshua 4-2 up after 6 against Povetkin, so I don't see what is wrong with those scores.

Can't remember who won the first round in Brook/Golovkin fight. But even if Brook did get the round after losing it, it's hardly evidence for it being dodgy over here. In America you lose rounds you won all of the time. You have American fighters cheating with illegal tactics but the crooked ref allowing it to happen. And that's before we bring in all of the robberies that have happened over there.

Comment

Originally posted by thabanga510 View Post
                    Ortiz would have smashed that Povetkin.
                    Can we please stop with the Ortiz hype, the guy beat frickin no one, held nothing, had not even had a proper title fight until he was in his 40s ffs and his much idolised amateur heritage includes nada, didn’t even get onto the olympic team bus.

Comment

I had Joshua 4-2 up after 6 against Povetkin, so I don't see what is wrong with those scores.

Can't remember who won the first round in Brook/Golovkin fight. But even if Brook did get the round after losing it, it's hardly evidence for it being dodgy over here. In America you lose rounds you won all of the time. You have American fighters cheating with illegal tactics but the crooked ref allowing it to happen. And that's before we bring in all of the robberies that have happened over there.
                      I would need to dig deeper for more examples, and this one goes a while back, but try watching Hagler/Minter and explain how the referee (who was scoring the fight) had Minter up after 2 rounds lol !

As for Joshua, I didn't see anything in rounds 1,2,3,5 to give to him. 4,6 yes. 4-2 Povetkin for me. Anyway, kind of irrelevant given the ending. Its an odd fight as it feels like if they fought 100 times it would end the same way every time - I thought Povetkin was up, but he was never going to get the ko he was looking for (imo - credit to Joshua there, Povetkin was never going to get him clean enough to end the fight), and Povetkin was never going to keep it up after 6. Maybe 1 in 100 Povetkin gets that good-night punch home, but the rest he fades and gets clocked himself.

Comment

Working...
                      X