Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fantasy: Would a Welter Andre Ward do well VS Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy: Would a Welter Andre Ward do well VS Floyd?

I personally think his smarts, speed, jab, timing, aggression and strength would be a good match up VS Floyd. Like I can see him jabbing Floyd's shoulder roll like Cotto, and bullying him the same way too. However Ward gets hit flush a lot less. He has a busy style that hits flush and clean. Stamina is also excellent. One thing you need VS Floyd is to never get tired. At minimum!

Ward knows how to score a round himself as he fights to win a round, which Floyd advocates for Broner.

Would he do well? Of course he would, does he win though, I don't see it. Floyd is an all around better boxer, all around.

As a Ward fan one of the things that really bother me is that he's never faced anyone who can throw short compact punches on the inside. I understand that Ward can neutralize that but the fact remains he's never been in with someone who can do that. I want his inside game to get truly tested because from what I've seen, his inside game is more based around locking an opponent's arm and working with his free hand. That's an art within itself but when your in there against some who knows how to apply himself in close, that style of infighting is not gonna work.

Comment

He'd be the toughest opponent Floyd has ever fought but I don't think think he'd win.

Comment

Floyd would duck Ward so unfortunately the fight still wouldn't happen. =(

Comment

Ward would have the height advantage but they have the same are length. It would be a 50-50 fight IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
            Sad but true.

Toss up fight in my honest opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by dc3383 View Post
              Ward would have the height advantage but they have the same are length. It would be a 50-50 fight IMO.
              I think even though it's a fantasy I would like to cut some size out of Ward too.

I am more basing it off styles, and perhaps super strength in the division. For example at any weight that he was comfortable in, I think Ward would be strong.

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
              Would he do well? Of course he would, does he win though, I don't see it. Floyd is an all around better boxer, all around.

As a Ward fan one of the things that really bother me is that he's never faced anyone who can throw short compact punches on the inside. I understand that Ward can neutralize that but the fact remains he's never been in with someone who can do that. I want his inside game to get truly tested because from what I've seen, his inside game is more based around locking an opponent's arm and working with his free hand. That's an art within itself but when your in there against some who knows how to apply himself in close, that style of infighting is not gonna work.
              I wouldn't say Ward would win, but I know that roughing up opponents can get you that edge. Ward wins those rough tie up battles because he knows how to not stop and always get a shot in. They do help play a role to scoring IMO. That's where Froch started to win something VS Groves for example. It gives momentum. Under Snr Floyd is more focussed so perhaps even the Cotto example is obsolete by now. Then again Floyd can have a relatively bad night like he did Castillo 1 where his face showed signs he was roughed up or something.

Good point on short shots, but I believe if Ward could not out hustle a fighter, he would certainly smoother them. He's a very strong guy. If he couldn't then his boxing ability from his jab would most likely be a huge key. Ward does say he tries to do everything, which I like. He never just focussed on what is working and rinse and repeats. Sometimes he will try something different and it will catch and hurt you.

Ward certainly has skills but also the style and athletic ability to follow a game plan. He has a chin and can adjust which is great.

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
              He'd be the toughest opponent Floyd has ever fought but I don't think think he'd win.
              I believe so. Unfortunately there isn't anyone that you can say has the skills and athletic ability to compete at 147. I do believe Pac would pose problems, but ultimately, he is a little too short and his reach is also not too long. No one likes fighting south paws tbh.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
              lol

Comment

I think Floyd would win easily. Ward's illegal wrestling and holding and hitting won't work on Mayweather. Floyd knows all the dirty tricks and how to prevent them from working. Overall Floyd is faster, sharper, and more skilled than Ward on offense and defense.

Comment

bahahahahahahahahaha, a WW Ward??????? Floyd would duck that man like his life depended on it. Making me laugh OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rights4Gays View Post
                    I personally think his smarts, speed, jab, timing, aggression and strength would be a good match up VS Floyd. Like I can see him jabbing Floyd's shoulder roll like Cotto, and bullying him the same way too. However Ward gets hit flush a lot less. He has a busy style that hits flush and clean. Stamina is also excellent. One thing you need VS Floyd is to never get tired. At minimum!

Ward knows how to score a round himself as he fights to win a round, which Floyd advocates for Broner.
                    Floyd would dominate. Ward is good but everything he learned he got from obsessively watching Floyd fights his entire life. Floyd learned his stuff from preciously aged boxing minds. But also self-discovered a few veteran tactics just from being in the ring. Things that go back before his time, he just figured out on his own. Like a wild boxing creature that reveals itself when placed there. Ward is good but he makes mistakes and gets out of position. He's slow, but because he's so good he can get away with it. Roy Jones used to do the same thing. But Roy is fast and sharp as hell. Ward is muddy feet when he does it. That type of stuff would be bad against a special athletic fighter like Floyd. The reflexes, naturality, and speed of Floyd would overwhelm Ward completely. Trying to outbox Floyd with his style, would be a no no. I think Floyd would walk him down tbh.

Comment

Working...
                    X