Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the most overrated hype job you've seen since you've been watching boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
    You're just ignorant enough to think that they're no-hopers when they beat everybody else in the division except for Rigo. They were no-hopers only against him. Which makes him not underrated. So I've made my point quite clear. It was a bad choice for this list. Bye
    You're not being reasonable. We can agree to disagree but it just sounds like you're in complete denial of Rigo's lack of good names on his thin resume outside Donaire. Let's take a glance:

Ricardo Cordoba: decent but B level fighter who lost to Bernard Dunne. And he still gave Rigo a tough fight and only losing by SD.
    Rico Ramos: Undefeated at the time but a fake champion who only won the title by a lucky punch against Shimoda when he was losing
    Agbecko: decent fighter but had 3 Losses prior (I'm not counting the first Mares fight because of the constant low blows and shameful referee)
    James Dickens (British level)
    Drian Fransesco (who? C level fighter... at best)
    Hisashi Amagasa (tall clumsy fighter who got outboxed by Josh Warrington..)
    Anusorn Yotjan (Thai no-hoper with lots of wins against poor fighters and loses every time he faces someone with a pulse)
    Last edited by Flo_Raiden; 11-15-2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flo_Raiden View Post
      That's the issue I have, though. He was considered one of the top rated P4P fighters for years because of his big win over Donaire, but who exactly did he fight afterwards that was worth a damn? The only fighter I can think of was Agbecko, who wasn't really rated that much to begin with after losing to Mares. The reason why he was being considered as a top fighter to many people back then was because they created this illusion that he was this nightmare fighter with incredible boxing skills who couldn't be touched, a boogeyman that struck fear to guys such as Frampton, Santa Cruz, and no one wanted to fight him. But just because fighters supposedly avoided him doesn't mean he deserves to still be rated highly as this top P4P fighter if he didn't fight anyone else noteworthy after Donaire.

People overrated Rigo to no end based on the Donaire win and his aura of being this feared fighter, but once he finally stepped up to fight a legit opponent he decides to give a shameful performance followed by a disgraceful quit job. Loma exposed Rigo as a one dimensional fighter who didn't have the heart to step it up when the going got tough for him.

You don't just rate a fighter highly based on one great win and in the end Rigo just couldn't cut the mustard.
      I’ve had my issues with Rigo over the years, but not everything has been his fault. Guillermo started his pro career late, and his own promoter sabotaged him because of his style. Which brings me to one of my issues: most of Rigo’s fights are unbearably boring to watch. He is a supremely gifted boxer, but he doesn’t step it up unless he feels like it...which isn’t often.

As for the Lomachenko bout, I have mixed feelings. Rigondeaux was in over his head. I think he was pressured into taking that fight. Rigo was matched with a bigger, younger, equally skilled and talented opponent. On fight night, Lomachenko weighed 137.4 pounds (there was a re-hydration clause of 138) and Rigondeaux weighed 130. Guillermo had never weighed that much for any previous bout. (His next fight will be at 118!) What bothered me most is that Rigo didn’t even try.

Comment

• Since I joined this site in 2009 I would say Alexander Dimitrenko or David Price when they were coming up. Both were hyped as the next great HW. Denis Boytsov & Lucas Browne were 2 others that got more love then I thought they deserved.

The funny thing is I never once hopped on any of their bandwagons because I had always said the same thing about all of them. They were untested at the time & were beating the regular euro journeymen & none of them had a real step up fight to the next level. Every one of them lost their first true test.

Dimitrenko lost to Eddie Chambers & really never beat anybody after that until his win over Granat. Boytsov never got the chance after he lost to Leapai. Price never recovered from the Thompson losses & Browne never beat anyone other than a semi retired & fat Chagaev who clearly gassed in the fight.

Tyson Fury & Wilder were the 2 guys that got a lot of hate & were expected to fall on their faces early. Fury did get a gift over John McDermott in their first fight & who can forget him punching himself in the face? Wilder was so raw nobody thought he would go anywhere including myself then you add him fighting Charlie Zelenoff on youtube. Who could take either of them seriously? Fury would dance to the ring FFS! He was calling out the Klitschkos after his 2nd fight. I started taking him seriously when out of nowhere he fought Martin Rogan in the southpaw stance the entire fight & stopped him. That was the first time he showed some real skills that I don't think anyone saw coming.

I predicted Wilder to get KO'd in the 1st round against Stiverne. He was still somewhat unproven at the time (had a few decent wins though) & I never gave him a chance against a hard hitting/granite chinned HW like Stiverne. Wilder had a lot more fights than Price when he stepped up but he had beaten all the usual journeymen like Harrison, Gavern, Firtha & Manswell. I started taking him seriously when he KO'd both Scott & Liahkovich in the 1st rd but I was still skeptical because both were on the decline but still were known as durable guys with skills. Nobody had done the job on either of those guys like Wilder did. I recall the Showtime team of announcers in silence when he destroyed Liahkovich. They were all surprised that it ended so quickly especially Steve Farhood.

The 2 guys most thought would never go anywhere turned out to be 2 of the best of this era.
        Last edited by joe strong; 11-15-2019, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by New England View Post
          does it make floyd mayweather a hype job?

FFS tell me with a straight face that floyd mayweather, literally one of the best boxers to ever put on a set of gloves, who fought 20+ championship fights without hardly losing a round, is a hype job.

go to canastota and call floyd mayweather a hype job. go to gyms where people know boxing. go f#cking anywhere, and you'll get laughed out of town.

you guys just don't like the guy for.... reasons. let's just leave it at that. take your L and **** off with that ****.

floyd mayweather is a hype job, guys. floyd f#cking mayweather.

do you guys think, and i mean , DO YOU ACTUALLY THINK AT ALL, before you open your stupid f3cking mouths?
          So, I think you are a pretty decent poster, Mr. New England, but if you went around telling everyone that you were in fact, THE BEST BOXINGSCENE POSTER EVER, then you would invite criticism and backlash. Floyd is great, he's one of the very best of his generation, but he goes waaay too far in insisting that he's the GOAT. People like you believe him. They really think that Floyd beats Duran, Tommy Hearns and SRL in the same weekend. When you raise the bar that stupidly high, yes, you make yourself a hypejob.

Comment

• Originally posted by NachoMan View Post
            So, I think you are a pretty decent poster, Mr. New England, but if you went around telling everyone that you were in fact, THE BEST BOXINGSCENE POSTER EVER, then you would invite criticism and backlash. Floyd is great, he's one of the very best of his generation, but he goes waaay too far in insisting that he's the GOAT. People like you believe him. They really think that Floyd beats Duran, Tommy Hearns and SRL in the same weekend. When you raise the bar that stupidly high, yes, you make yourself a hypejob.
            Obviously TBE acronym is a joke or hype if you will.
            In all likelhood, SRR, SRL, Hearns, Duran would have defeated and probably KOed him.
            WE all know Castillo defeated him, many of us including his dad and one judge had Oscar winning a close fight.

But re Floyd it's far worse, he's been allowed to repeatedly fight dirty and to juice up [IV] while opponent who had genuine medical problems was not allowed to get treatment.
            That's just the beginning.

Comment

i don't think floyd is the best fighter of all time. have you asked me that?

what i'm saying is that he's not a hype job. nevermind "the most overrated hype job," as the thread asks you to identify.

that's f#cking crazy talk. and if you don't get that you don't deserve five minutes of my time.

Comment

Agree. The problem is most people don't understand a fighter can be great and still be a hype job.
                In fact most fighters are hype jobs because boxing is a business and you have to sell your fighter.
                Floyd was a great salesman and he sold himself as TBE. But how many times did Floyd promise an action fight and then put people to sleep with a snooze fest. Floyd was a great defensive fighter who was cautious with his offense.
                His trash talk was always more entertaining than his fights.

Comment

To each their own. I still stand by what I said about Rigo. Could have made better career choices but he wasted it away.

It's a shame because he was so talented and I really appreciated his skills. But he was way overhyped for years. This feared fighter ended up turning into a myth.
                  How tho.... He was ducked by everyone and only lost to Loma. I get the way he lost to Loma took alot from his reputation. But how does that effect him being ducked by like 4 champions years before

Comment

Originally posted by ruedboy View Post
                    Agree. The problem is most people don't understand a fighter can be great and still be a hype job.
                    In fact most fighters are hype jobs because boxing is a business and you have to sell your fighter.
                    Floyd was a great salesman and he sold himself as TBE. But how many times did Floyd promise an action fight and then put people to sleep with a snooze fest. Floyd was a great defensive fighter who was cautious with his offense.
                    His trash talk was always more entertaining than his fights.
                    Good posts guys...as you guys hit on, the only way you can still be a hype job if you are still having some good success...once you lose/'get exposed', well then the hype is off somewhat, and you are no longer overly hyped.

The guys who would naturally be the 'biggest hype jobs' are those who are still having success/had success...but guys that you feel maybe achieved that success by a little bit of smoke and mirror etc.

Comment

You're not being reasonable. We can agree to disagree but it just sounds like you're in complete denial of Rigo's lack of good names on his thin resume outside Donaire. Let's take a glance:

Ricardo Cordoba: decent but B level fighter who lost to Bernard Dunne. And he still gave Rigo a tough fight and only losing by SD.
                      Rico Ramos: Undefeated at the time but a fake champion who only won the title by a lucky punch against Shimoda when he was losing
                      Agbecko: decent fighter but had 3 Losses prior (I'm not counting the first Mares fight because of the constant low blows and shameful referee)
                      James Dickens (British level)
                      Drian Fransesco (who? C level fighter... at best)
                      Hisashi Amagasa (tall clumsy fighter who got outboxed by Josh Warrington..)
                      Anusorn Yotjan (Thai no-hoper with lots of wins against poor fighters and loses every time he faces someone with a pulse)
                      It's easy to go over a list and try and discredit a fighter's resume'. You can do it with anyone. Even all time greats. the fact is that he beat multiple defense world titlists who didn't just get titles out of cr@cker jack boxes and were ranked at the top of their divisions. That's all a fighter can do. So what if he moved up and got outclassed.

We'll agree to disagree.
                      Last edited by Boxing Goat; 11-15-2019, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X