Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it too late for Golovkin to become a star?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late for Golovkin to become a star?

According to reports, last weekends PPV did around 150,000. GGG is approaching 34 years of age, is he too old to become a household name? A PPV star?

I think so. Part of it is age, the other is the demographic he belongs to (Eastern European isn't a big demographic), and another is outside of Cotto/Canelo there's really no other big fight for him that would attract casuals. Boxing hardcores will flock to a potential Ward fight but Ward isn't popular outside of those who follow boxing and GGG isn't a star so that would do moderate numbers. Unless a Broner/Mayweather type of character comes out of 160/168 that casuals would want to see fight GGG, then I don't see how it happens. Best he can hope is to get a Bernard Hopkins type of starpower. Kinda known to casuals but not a huge draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
      According to reports, last weekends PPV did around 150,000. GGG is approaching 34 years of age, is he too old to become a household name? A PPV star?
      This is why K2 needs Canelo or Cotto. Yes GGG is getting older, anything in the double digit ballpark and retire is ideal. Any good boxong career comes once, so just go with the flow of what.mgmt wants best for you and their pockets. However, as everyone has stated, going up in weight is the best thing for GGG. Assuming he is great he should in theory have wins against several 168 kats. He doesn't have to take the top 5 at 168, but he would be criticized for not doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
        I think so. Part of it is age, the other is the demographic he belongs to (Eastern European isn't a big demographic), and another is outside of Cotto/Canelo there's really no other big fight for him that would attract casuals. Boxing hardcores will flock to a potential Ward fight but Ward isn't popular outside of those who follow boxing and GGG isn't a star so that would do moderate numbers. Unless a Broner/Mayweather type of character comes out of 160/168 that casuals would want to see fight GGG, then I don't see how it happens. Best he can hope is to get a Bernard Hopkins type of starpower. Kinda known to casuals but not a huge draw.
        Times like this you wish Ward had an attracting character, like Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
          This is why K2 needs Canelo or Cotto. Yes GGG is getting older, anything in the double digit ballpark and retire is ideal. Any good boxong career comes once, so just go with the flow of what.mgmt wants best for you and their pockets. However, as everyone has stated, going up in weight is the best thing for GGG. Assuming he is great he should in theory have wins against several 168 kats. He doesn't have to take the top 5 at 168, but he would be criticized for not doing so.
          What are some suitability names for him to fight at 168, other than Ward? Fights that you'd look forward to watching?

Comment

What are some suitability names for him to fight at 168, other than Ward? Fights that you'd look forward to watching?
            Any top 10 at 168. Anything less he would be criticized too heavily. Look at Martin Murray. Dude already moved up to 168 and top 10. There's no reason why GGG still needs to be at 160. The only obvious reason is because they want the WBC from Cotto or Canelo. That's the money ticket. I'm sure he'll vacate after that. No need to fight Lee or Quillin from there. Risk is too much to tarnish the 160 record. Just my theory on all the bull K2 and Sanchez have ran with, plus GGG has never ever verbally stated he wanted a piece of Ward. Only thing we get is from his mgmt word of mouth, not GGG. Practical

Comment

Times like this you wish Ward had an attracting character, like Floyd.
              Ward doesn't have to be a heel like Floyd was but at least charismatic with a hint of trash talking, kind of like what Keith Thurman has.

Comment

Not at all, no one can touch him at MW for years.

Golovkin is going to blow up, he's just getting started.

Comment

No way, he has an exciting style and that would always sell but he also needs the right fights.

Comment

Originally posted by SugarKaineHook View Post
                    Any top 10 at 168. Anything less he would be criticized too heavily. Look at Martin Murray. Dude already moved up to 168 and top 10. There's no reason why GGG still needs to be at 160. The only obvious reason is because they want the WBC from Cotto or Canelo. That's the money ticket. I'm sure he'll vacate after that. No need to fight Lee or Quillin from there. Risk is too much to tarnish the 160 record. Just my theory on all the bull K2 and Sanchez have ran with, plus GGG has never ever verbally stated he wanted a piece of Ward. Only thing we get is from his mgmt word of mouth, not GGG. Practical
                    Lee or Qullin would not be a risk but it would add to his middleweight legacy if one of them is a beltholder.

As far as the thread topic, golovkin is already a star in boxing. To become a superstar is another story.

Comment

Working...
                    X