Collapse
No announcement yet.

What No One Is Saying About Saturday

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pretty valid question. as most of you know, im team "white". but i think its just right to let a fighter finish his fight. this fight is fairly controvesial. did kovalev want out, yeah..maybe, only him and ward know. did he deserve the 5 minute recovery? yeah. was he gonna lose? probably. but dont deny him an epic ending.

me personally, i wouldnt have bent over and milked it. i'll eat shit and lick my plate clean, my boy bitched out.

Comment

Originally posted by koolkc107 View Post
      Hey, I will go on record as saying I thought the stoppage was premature.

I thought Weeks should have found a way to give an 8 count (ie claim the ropes held him up from a KD).

But, I am told this was not an option.

I also did not see any punch Ward threw that was an obvious foul.

A bit low, maybe the very last one before Weeks stepped in but that was as much Kova bent over as anything else.

So, here's the question...

What happens if Weeks just lets it go on?

Doesn't stop anything, just lets Ward keep butchering Kovalev?

Would y'all be in here today wondering why Weeks didn't step in sooner?

Can we agree that Tony Weeks probably saved the rest of Kova's career if not his life?
      i think this is overlooked. if the ropes hold you up, its a knockdown that warrants a count in most situations. kovalev should have gotten at least a count at best or a low blow recovery time at best

Comment

but also, everyone is talking about this "8 count". its not part of the unified rules. if you wanna say the ropes held him up, yeah. recovery from low blows, yeah. but there isnt this standing 8 count rule in CHAMPIONSHIP FIGHTS.

in championship fights its the unified rules of the association of boxing commissions

Comment

Originally posted by gauze View Post
          i think this is overlooked. if the ropes hold you up, its a knockdown that warrants a count in most situations. kovalev should have gotten at least a count at best or a low blow recovery time at best
          I thought Weeks was going to start counting when he moved in.

And honestly, in a fight like that, good refs usually find a way to leave no doubt yet keep folks safe.

But, I will always be a safety first guy.

Good stuff in this thread so far folks, pro and con.

Comment

if Kovalev would've been Duran, the outcome would have been different (imagine if they were the same size)

Durán would have bitten off Wards balls just for trying to get dirty.

We need another Durán in the sport!

Comment

and you are all making it look like the big bad wolf Ward was destroying Kovalev while in reality it was a close fight, until the 3 shots to the balls.

I am sure now Ward likes men.

Comment

I thought Weeks was going to start counting when he moved in.

And honestly, in a fight like that, good refs usually find a way to leave no doubt yet keep folks safe.

But, I will always be a safety first guy.

Good stuff in this thread so far folks, pro and con.
                yeah, he was hurt. i think ward was looking for the call on whether it was low or not. he should have went in for the kill there. i would have.

im not a huge fan of the ending. i'll give ward his props but it wasnt the cleanest of endings.

personally, i dont care for a trilogy. i picked ward to win this rematch (wanted kov to win obviously), but its only gonna get worse for my boy if they fight again haha.

Comment

Originally posted by gauze View Post
                  yeah, he was hurt. i think ward was looking for the call on whether it was low or not. he should have went in for the kill there. i would have.

im not a huge fan of the ending. i'll give ward his props but it wasnt the cleanest of endings.

personally, i dont care for a trilogy. i picked ward to win this rematch (wanted kov to win obviously), but its only gonna get worse for my boy if they fight again haha.
                  I think that until Kova learns to either negate Ward inside or fight back hard enough so its a war of attrition (ie takes something out of Ward the way Ward takes it out of him) he will always lose to Ward.

But, against Adonis, Kova's style is still plenty lethal enough.
                  And, if he gets to the young guys (Beiterbiev, Bivol) sooner rather than later, he beats them too.

Comment

I think that until Kova learns to either negate Ward inside or fight back hard enough so its a war of attrition (ie takes something out of Ward the way Ward takes it out of him) he will always lose to Ward.

But, against Adonis, Kova's style is still plenty lethal enough.
                    And, if he gets to the young guys (Beiterbiev, Bivol) sooner rather than later, he beats them too.
                    If they fight again, it should be with them standing face to face, handcuffed to each other by the left hands, and punching each other in the nuts with the right, until one goes down.

Comment

What no one is saying is that If the ref did his job kovalev would have one the rd 10-8 and be given a 5 minute break to recover.

Comment

Working...
                      X