Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 PM #21
Interim Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Terry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 7,670.00
Start you off mate your first gift.. - The Gully Gad To one of boxingscenes best - JAB5239 Thanks for the boxing mags! - hunkysoupbone get well soon - NewYork For Quality posting and for being such a genuine dude! - The Surgeon 
Missed having you around, Have a beer pal - McGoorty A true historian. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I got Frazier stopping Rocky late. You?
Frazier is 1 inch taller and roughly 16 lbs heavier. And Frazier also fought (and beat) 3 guys with styles similar to Rocky's...George Chuvalo (KO), Ron Stander (KO) and Jerry Quarry twice (KO, KO). Frazier fought other sluggers and prevailed.

Marciano had just as much heart as Frazier, more experience (although Frazier's amateur background bodes well for him) and was just as dangerous late as early.

To me, the deciding factor here is Archie Moore was able to knock down (not out) Marciano, and who disputes that Frazier hits way harder than the Mongoose? Plus, only Foreman was able to KO Frazier (Manila was more wore down / TKO) And Foreman (6'3" 225) beats Rocky (5'10" 189) every time, so, I would say that if they ever fought in their prime, my pick would also be Frazier, say in about 8-9 rounds. Frazier would put too many heavy shots on the Rock for him to be able to withstand the slow beat down. I don't see Rocky landing too many on Frazier, who's defence was under rated.

This would have been a great fight.
Terry A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 11:35 AM #22
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond reputehemichromis has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 8,767.00

Quote:
Of course Dempsey has his place in history. But it would have been a great deal higher if he didn't fail to fight some of the greatest fighters of his day - whatevever the reason. The reason doesn't matter to me. Demspey didn't prove himself better than many cracking fighters from his era (and one in Wills who may well have beaten him) so this makes it harder to rate him above other great fighters since then.
which fighters are you talking about?
dempsey did fight at least one black guy he was a huge guy but i don't remember his name.

a fighter can only be judged against the fighters he fights. the public didn't want to see black vs white so it never happened
hemichromis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:11 PM #23
Contender

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
McGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 6,424.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjay's Ghost View Post
Welcome to BS McGrain.
Thanks bud.
McGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 PM #24
Contender

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
McGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond reputeMcGrain has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 6,424.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemichromis View Post
which fighters are you talking about?
dempsey did fight at least one black guy he was a huge guy but i don't remember his name.

a fighter can only be judged against the fighters he fights. the public didn't want to see black vs white so it never happened

Interesting that you say the public didn't want to see black v white fights - but point out that Dempsey fought in one. Why? I think the public did want to see these fights.

Mcvey and Wills would have been the main ones. Jack Johnson was campaigning for a shot at the title I beleive. Though a lot of that may have been hokum, he certainly would have got one these days.

Interestingly though it is a white fighter, Harry Greb, who may feel most hard done by after Wills.

Anyway, fighting any of these guys is certainly better than what he did - very little. Wasn't he the most inactive champion ever? Any one of these guys would be better than "no-one".

Last edited by McGrain; 05-25-2007 at 01:33 PM.
McGrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:32 AM #25
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 3764 Post(s)
QueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,010.24
Total Points: 169,109.12
Autism - Marchegiano 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayjay's Ghost View Post
It's funny that you mentioned Klitschko, because that proves my point exactly. All the top heavies today are from the eastern bloc, so if Dempsey's record is tainted by the color line, so is Ali's, Foreman's etc. by the Iron Curtain. But none of their records are tainted.
- -Ye aulde my shyte don't stink, U doodoo do paradox.

Jack has two black fighters on his record and interminable unrecorded in a SaltLake City gym he worked in, trained in, and fought out of run by a black contender whose name escapes me at the moment.
QueensburyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 11:47 AM #26
Undisputed Champion

QueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond reputeQueensburyRules has a reputation beyond repute
Autism - Marchegiano 

Quote:
Interesting that you say the public didn't want to see black v white fights - but point out that Dempsey fought in one. Why? I think the public did want to see these fights.

Mcvey and Wills would have been the main ones. Jack Johnson was campaigning for a shot at the title I beleive. Though a lot of that may have been hokum, he certainly would have got one these days.

Interestingly though it is a white fighter, Harry Greb, who may feel most hard done by after Wills.

Anyway, fighting any of these guys is certainly better than what he did - very little. Wasn't he the most inactive champion ever? Any one of these guys would be better than "no-one".
- -McVea died in a flu epidemic circa 1919 or so. Langford lobbyied for a title fight, but half blind by then. Wills the only viable as the youngest black champion left standing, but initially Rickard refused after the Jeffries/Johnson riots leaving dozens of corpses and uncounted property damage sorta like 2020!!!

JJOHNSON came closest and the media actually announced that bout in Mexico City, but again , JJ had been virtually booted out of Mexico when he surrendered to US Feds to serve his one year prison sentence.

Net result is no one in Mexico ever wanted to see him again, so deal nixed.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:09 PM #27
Interim Champion

Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Willie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond reputeWillie Pep 229 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 26,660.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensburyRules View Post
- -McVea died in a flu epidemic circa 1919 or so. Langford lobbyied for a title fight, but half blind by then. Wills the only viable as the youngest black champion left standing, but initially Rickard refused after the Jeffries/Johnson riots leaving dozens of corpses and uncounted property damage sorta like 2020!!!

JJOHNSON came closest and the media actually announced that bout in Mexico City, but again , JJ had been virtually booted out of Mexico when he surrendered to US Feds to serve his one year prison sentence.

Net result is no one in Mexico ever wanted to see him again, so deal nixed.
What you say about JJ is all true (regarding Mexico) but I don't think the Mexico City fight was ever really on the table. I believe Doc Kearns was just using JJ as leverage to keep Dempsey away from Rickard. Kearns understood Rickard would never promote a Johnson or a Wills-Dempsey fight so he kept the prospect alive to keep Rickard stymied.

The Mexico fight was proposed during 1922 when Kearns was out beating the bushes looking for any defense he could find that wouldn't include New York or Rickard. He of course found that fight (mistake) in Shelby MT.
Willie Pep 229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:18 PM #28
Contender

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
louis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond reputelouis54 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,283.23
Total Points: 9,191.30

Dempsey would slaughter wills and everone who bboxed both... Knew it
Jack kearns manager of harry wills and jack Dempsey " dempsey could have taken two of him (wills) before breakfast "
Wills got screwd but you could blame the brioters in 1910
louis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 05:44 PM #29
Undisputed Champion

Autism - Marchegiano 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Pep 229 View Post
What you say about JJ is all true (regarding Mexico) but I don't think the Mexico City fight was ever really on the table. I believe Doc Kearns was just using JJ as leverage to keep Dempsey away from Rickard. Kearns understood Rickard would never promote a Johnson or a Wills-Dempsey fight so he kept the prospect alive to keep Rickard stymied.

The Mexico fight was proposed during 1922 when Kearns was out beating the bushes looking for any defense he could find that wouldn't include New York or Rickard. He of course found that fight (mistake) in Shelby MT.
- -Remember this.

More later.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:37 PM #30
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 54,164.21
Total Points: 62,967.76
To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler 
To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner 
For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr 
Thanks for your continued friendship & for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Thanks for the tip. - Big Dunn Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 Merry Christmas - TBear 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by louis54 View Post
Dempsey would slaughter wills and everone who bboxed both... Knew it
Jack kearns manager of harry wills and jack Dempsey " dempsey could have taken two of him (wills) before breakfast "
Wills got screwd but you could blame the brioters in 1910
Everyone knew he would slaughter Miske as well, but he fought him twice. Everyone knew he'd beat Brennan, but he fought him twice. Hell, he fought little Willie Meehan 4 times I believe. Why fight them and not the best available contender?
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends