Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Roy Jones Retires 49-1 in 2003 where would you rank him all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    Yeah but I think the Tarver and Johnson losses definitely affected his legacy in particular. Roy was past prime in those fights even the first Tarver fight I would say, but his fall from grace was so steep and dramatic that I'm wondering how people would rate him up to and before those losses happened.

Its interesting because at that point Roy was basically undefeated (bogus DQ loss) so you can draw parallels between 49-1 and 49-0 that Floyd is, although Floyd achieved more later and retained his consistency longer, I don't think he was quite as impressive as Roy at his peak.
    He was actually frustrated by Griffin and clearly smoked him when he was down. Obviously it was an off night for Roy, as he destroyed him in the rematch, but the DQ was fair you can't hit someone like that when they take a knee. Similar to the Abraham Dirrell fight.

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
      Well he would have the same meaningful wins that he has now so.......
      I agree. Just because he fought way way way past his prime shouldn't take away from what he had already accomplished

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        Yup.

I don't get topics like these. It doesn't matter how many cans beat him in the twighlight of his career as a broke fighter. It doesn't change what he did in his prime and what he accomplished as a whole.

If you have short term memory, if you only care about the moment, then that's your problem as a person and how you look at a fighter, not about the fighter themselves.
        Exactly let's say 3 years from now Floyd comes back and gets knocked out by Canelo it wouldn't diminish anything he accomplished

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          His best win would still be Hopkins. He still would not hold wins over anyone else of note other than Toney. He would still have a tonne of b or c list guys on his resume. He would still have the most useless heavyweight title win at the time.

However, that image of invincibility and that unique athleticism would probably have him ranked a little bit higher. The losses to Tarver and Johnson really hurt his legacy imo.
          Absolute nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
            What if he dropped down to CW and won a title there after beating Ruiz?
            He probably wouldn't have gotten much credit.

It was an unglamorous division, and it wouldn't have topped winning a version of the HW title.

Comment

Originally posted by don larryx View Post
              Well he would have the same meaningful wins that he has now so.......
              This is typical nsb gobbledy****.

"Yeah guys...lets just ignore every time this dude got knocked the fcuk out and focus on his wins."

Lmao

Comment

Same as today. Prime for prime the most unbeatable fighter in history.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Shawn View Post
                  Same as today. Prime for prime the most unbeatable fighter in history.
                  Harder Joe LMAO :gay:

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                    Agree to disagree. I think had he retired 49-1 pretty much undefeated, taking into consideration how imperious he was at his best I think he would have been regarded higher for sure. I think that because his decline was so sharp and swift and clearly linked to his athletiscm, it kind of counts against him, like he didn't have the versatility or you could say the tools to change and adapt. I have heard a lot of people call it that way, respected boxing people. There is no doubting that his peak though was the highest I have personally seen, he was an absolute phenomenon.

I didn't watch the entire video but did Naazim say n the video that Hopkins tries to imitate Mayweather? That's what it sounded like.

Comment

Working...
                    X