Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to defend against such an unorthodox offense as Deontay Wilder's?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to defend against such an unorthodox offense as Deontay Wilder's?

He has limited boxing skills and questionable punch resistance himself. But looking beyond that, is it possible to effectively nullify his offense? I laugh when I watch where he throws punches from but in truth it's probably impossible to predict or be prepared for what's coming at you.

Looking at it from a purely technical viewpoint, what could be done to effectively defend against those attacks and to nullify his offense? The sort of range Anthony Joshua likes to stand at seems perfect for Wilder. I imagine getting in close and fighting short-range inside and tying him up would work. This wouldn't be as effective though for the taller fighters.

I suppose making him too weary to launch big assaults would also be effective. Make him have to think about what's coming back at him. Offense being the best form of defence, etc. That's possibly the approach AJ would have to take.

Comment

Watch Mark Breland vs Aaron Davis (I think that's the name) and you basically have the makings of your answer.

Sturdy chin/punch resistance, good stamina, punch from inside the range of that heavy jab, ability to put Wilder on the defensive (where he still has that stigma of pulling straight out).

Punch in between the shots on a trade, and you'd have your opportunity

Comment

Jab, he gets uncomfortable on the back foot. Also i think hes weak on the inside. And joshua has a good inside game.

As far as the windmill attack i think the best bet is to stay at range then close in on him once hes off balance from throwing such wild shots

Comment

I think Erik Morales in his first fight with Danny Garcia provides a good blueprint: Get inside Deontay's windmill range and throw compact jabs/punches.

Comment

Basically you'd need to be a heavyweight-sized Mayweather.

Comment

Yes close the distance and throw compact shots, something AJ is actually good at. Wilder can be outboxed and has been in a few of his fights, somone with real power will KO him

Comment

many top heavy weights would gove him trouble. Huey Fury would have him confused and Jarell Miller would have him scared

Comment

Originally posted by Deontay Wilder View Post
                  Basically you'd need to be a heavyweight-sized Mayweather.
                  Bronze Bomber in da house!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kilojay505 View Post
                    many top heavy weights would gove him trouble. Huey Fury would have him confused and Jarell Miller would have him scared
                    Lmaoooo Hughie Fury another drug cheat?

Comment

Working...
                    X