No announcement yet.

Will we ever see another Mike Tyson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roscoe337 View Post
    This is a good description. People tend to underestimate WHY Tyson was so good when he was at his best. Heres a clue: Watch tapes of Dempsey. Tyson was a good study! There are guys in the martial arts who pick up a technique the first time they are taught it, and guys who cannot ever get it exactly the way the teacher does it. I picture Mike being a guy who has that body intelligence to look at a tape and get the technique, and then be able to apply it. People forget that Dempsey wrote a book as well, the info is out there for a poor kid from brooklyn
    This is why its easier to refine techniques that have already been in place , theres no greater weapon than video footage really ,personally for me it has helped me learn techniques more than hands on you also have the privaleage of stop /slow motion and rewind backwards play , of course you have to apply it at some point . I entered a grappling tournament just on watching video footage for a few days to what i was going to be dealing with grappling tournament champions of the jui jitsu style and never got submitted and was not allowed to use certain techiques under the no gi rules. Point being this is why i say modern eras have a significant advantage on that aspect alone.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Plat View Post
        Prime Iron Mike, that is. The combination of raw God given talent, power, speed, quickness, punching combos and aggression, especially in the HW division. Personally I think the NFL is making sure that we wont see another one for a while.

I could watch this all day long

http://youtu.be/g-478QGV9pc
        We already have Golovkin and Kovalev, they provide that same kind of magic, that same kind of exitement.

I loved watching Tyson put people away, but I prefer Tyson Fury as a champion, he is a complete fighter which I don't think we've ever seen at HW. His peak is limitless.

Comment

• There will never be another Mike Tyson because there will never be another Cus D'Amato to create one.

Trainers nowadays seem to be more concerned with muscles and body fat percentages than actual boxing skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
            We already have Golovkin and Kovalev, they provide that same kind of magic, that same kind of exitement...
            Not exactly. Their KO records is where the similarity ends. There has never been a fighter with the same sense of urgency to dispatch an opponent before or since Tyson. At least not at his rate of success. GGG and Kovalev would take at least a few seconds to size-up an opponent before pouncing. Not Tyson... At the sound of the bell, he was all over his opponents like white on rice!

Comment

• Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
              Not exactly. Their KO records is where the similarity ends. There has never been a fighter with the same sense of urgency to dispatch an opponent before or since Tyson. At least not at his rate of success. GGG and Kovalev would take at least a few seconds to size-up an opponent before pouncing. Not Tyson... At the sound of the bell, he was all over his opponents like white on rice!
              You're exaggerating here, he didn't always pounce on his opponents immediately, and GGG and Kovalev look for the KO pretty immediately themselves, just more patience with the aggressiveness sometimes depending on the person, but still coming forward and looking to end it early.

Comment

• Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                We already have Golovkin and Kovalev, they provide that same kind of magic, that same kind of exitement.

I loved watching Tyson put people away, but I prefer Tyson Fury as a champion, he is a complete fighter which I don't think we've ever seen at HW. His peak is limitless.
                Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                You're exaggerating here, he didn't always pounce on his opponents immediately, and GGG and Kovalev look for the KO pretty immediately themselves, just more patience with the aggressiveness sometimes depending on the person, but still coming forward and looking to end it early.
                There's no where near the amount of excitement around Kovalev and GGG. Their levels of popularity pale compared to Tyson. Tyson was a phenomenon in the 80's. Ask random people if they know who Kovalev and GGG are.

Don't get me wrong, Kovalev and GGG are big power punchers and are dominate, but they lack that classic Mike Tyson style of power, agility, head movement, and aggression all in one.

And that might not be Kovalev and GGG's fault. Maybe if it was the 80's or 70's, Kovalev and GGG would've been bigger in popularity. Let's face it, boxing's become a vary niche sport. It's highly unlikely we'll have another fighter reach the level Mike Tyson did.

Comment

• Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                  Jesus fuckin' Christ...
                  I could watch your Quigg sig for a lifetime

Comment

Working...
                  X