No announcement yet.

After rewatching cotto vs martinez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phillyeagl2014 View Post
    I don't care what anybody says if martinez was 100% healthy, that first left hook that landed from coto put him on wobbly legs for the rest of the fight, then he landed the same hook again for the second knock down. That hook took his legs away even martinez said he couldn't recover from it.
    Cotto is shot, past his prime, and cant throw the left hook anymore. That initial punch you're talking about landed on Sergios knee,ok? It was very clear to see.

In the 7th round Martinez was not chasing Cotto around and missing badly due to Cotto's effective slipping and movement. That was the frame-rate on your TV giving the illusion that Sergio could move.

Comment

Originally posted by phillyeagl2014 View Post
      I don't care what anybody says if martinez was 100% healthy, that first left hook that landed from coto put him on wobbly legs for the rest of the fight, then he landed the same hook again for the second knock down. That hook took his legs away even martinez said he couldn't recover from it.

Well said, Cotto destroyed Martinez with that left hook. Even Martinez said it after the fight. Cotto took Martinez legs out after the first hook also Martinez does not have chin to hold a hard punch, he has been showing it through his lasts fights. Martinez is was a great fighter but I think he should start doing something not related to boxing.

Comment

Martinez have looked like **** for some time now, just watch the films from his training camps the last 6 years, 5 years ago he looked hard and buff, explosive, now like looks skinny fat,and weak.

Everything is worse now, he can't counterpunch properly anymore, he dose not bend at the waist like he used to, he used to move his head and whole body back and forth making it hard to him him flush, that is completely absent in the cotto fight.
        His power also seem gone, he is not explosive, almost like he extends his arms, but no snap.

Even in the Charvez fight, he was not the same as a few years back, in the murry fight he simply looked like ****.

Inactivity is the worst thing you can do at that age

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          dude, martinez looked 900 years old. watch what he looked like in his prime, and then watch the fight that happened on saturday.

was there catastrophic knee failure? no. was he on 39 year old legs that had been looking old for years? yes.

martinez needs to retire.
          What you seem to forget is Martinez never in his career had good defense and Freddie repeatedly said this. He always carried that right hand down and any fighter with a great left hook such as Cotto would land that all night. Martinez could not counter because of it he was scared once he felt that could touch him.

The Cotto that fought Saturday night wins this fight with Freddie as his trainer no matter when this fight would have happens even in Martinez prime. Freddie Roach was key in this victory.

Excuses are not acceptable

Comment

Martinez: "He caught me cold and I couldn't recover. My legs and knees are ok."

I believe Martinez who put tons of excuses against Murray but graciously took his L against Miguel recognizing the first round hook messed him up.

Yesterday on a local radio show, Miguel mentioned he saw Martinez bleeding out of his ear. If he broke anything, Martinez was going to lose balance for the rest of the night, specially being counter with the same punch. No age, no legs, no knees, it was Cotto breaking his drum ear.

Comment

Rewatching it, every single KD is questionable. The first he got hit behind the head twice. Number 2 and 3 looked more like pushes/slips. The last one he did get rocked but never touched the canvas. I'm not saying he would have won the fight because he looked like **** but that ref was certainly trigger happy imo.

Comment

Working...
              X