Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Anyone from 154 to 168"...Canelo is actually doing it.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lion81 View Post
    Oh come on, Canelo was fighting at Junior Welter not long ago. An entire career where he decided to stay at 160lbs.
    Golovkin started late, man, and had the JMW division been where the fights where in Europe at the time he turned pro he probably would have started at 154. And he did try to get fights at 168 (Froch, Chavez Jr, even Ward if he is to be believed)... difference is, like Floyd, Canelo brings enough money to pick and choose his opponents whereas Golovkin was never in that position till his prime was pretty much gone.

All of which is not to somehow try to elevate GGG over Canelo, merely to point out that their situations ain't really comparable. One came late to the pro game and after promotional difficulties in Germany never really got going til he was 31 (and then with an insignificant promoter in a country with little interest in his division), the other started young and was well backed and promoted from an early age and was a star by the time he was 22. Both are fine fighters, of course.

Comment

I doubt people on here would be giving Golovkin props and celebrating like they’re doing for Canelo if he jumped up to 168 and fought a fighter of Feildings pedigree for a meaningless title

Comment

damn inside what? a year and a half Canelo has destroyed everything GGG has stood for.

Canelo showing him real Mexican Style!

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          Golovkin started late, man, and had the JMW division been where the fights where in Europe at the time he turned pro he probably would have started at 154. And he did try to get fights at 168 (Froch, Chavez Jr, even Ward if he is to be believed)... difference is, like Floyd, Canelo brings enough money to pick and choose his opponents whereas Golovkin was never in that position till his prime was pretty much gone.

All of which is not to somehow try to elevate GGG over Canelo, merely to point out that their situations ain't really comparable. One came late to the pro game and after promotional difficulties in Germany never really got going til he was 31 (and then with an insignificant promoter in a country with little interest in his division), the other started young and was well backed and promoted from an early age and was a star by the time he was 22. Both are fine fighters, of course.
          Golovkin started at 24 years old. He chose to stay in Germany until 31. That is 100% his doing.

Gennady drug fighters up and down weight classes and got sparked by JMW Ca$hnelo

L M F A OOOOO

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
            Golovkin started at 24 years old. He chose to stay in Germany until 31. That is 100% his doing.

Gennady drug fighters up and down weight classes and got sparked by JMW Ca$hnelo

L M F A OOOOO
            Clearly you ain't really clued in on all the bullch1t that went on with Universum, Sturm ,Zbik and the legal injunction that prevented Golovkin from fighting in the US til mid 2012 so there ain't really much point in discussing that until you clue yourself in.

Let me ask you a question... do you believe that having the backing of a major promoter, a major sanctioning org and a built in fan base who bring a high ratings is advantageous in getting the best fights?

Like I say, both are fine fighters, but their situations ain't really comparable.
            Last edited by Citizen Koba; 12-16-2018, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion81 View Post
              Not asking to praise him.

Just dont say GGG would have done this or that.

GGG, nothing against him, but I feel he was too scared to touch 168lbs.
              Ggg fans are sad i actually feel bad for them.......

or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjl12 View Post
                Yeah, why didn't just move?

It's easy as pie. Tell me about when you moved from one country to another, without any safety, and not speaking the language.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                  Especially if he goes on to fight for other belts at 168.
                  I know how much **** you would have given GGG if he'd moved up for Fielding. Two faced kunt.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthradon View Post

It's easy as pie. Tell me about when you moved from one country to another, without any safety, and not speaking the language.
                    He couldn't fight in the US (or Germany) anyway until mid 2012 when Universum finally released him from contract... that **** held up his career for 3 years of his prime (if you include the time being stalled for a Sturm fight) and meant that bigger US promoters, Arum in particular, wouldn't touch him for fear of getting involved in a legal battle.

It's not a reflection on their abilities as fighters (and both are very, very good), but Canelo has been groomed from his early 20s to be the next Mexican superstar, whereas Golovkin has had many more obstacles in his path. His only real break was HBO picking him up as a new KO star who could be had on the cheap as they gradually wound down their boxing schedule... without his reputation as a KO artist he would almost certainly stayed as a smalltimer with a cult following on the undercards of bigger stars.

Like I say on the regular, resume is every bit as much to do with opportunity as it is to do with ability.
                    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 12-16-2018, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stealthradon View Post

No safety needed in America unless you are Mexican.

White Muslim Gennady wouldve been welcomed with open arms by the white supremacists. He CHOSE not to come to USA sooner. He CHOSE Vanes over Andrade, Dervenchenko, ducked BJS, ducked Cotto and Canelo at catchweights, ducked Lara, etc.

Permanent BUM

Comment

Working...
                      X