Weeks saved Kovalev's career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He saved Kovalev's balls

Comment

Fight should not have been stopped except to give Kovalev 5 minutes to recover. In fact at the time I assumed Weeks was stopping the fight to give a warning or take a point and give Kovalev recovery time.

Weeks is among the worst referees in boxing, second only perhaps to Lawrence Cole.

Comment

This fight always has extreme opinions because of the stoppage. The truth is there were body shots and low blows, and Kovalev was hurt by BOTH, I think at the time of the stoppage, there were 3 shots, first one was legit, second one was border line and the third one was low. Problem is Kovalev was as much to blame by bending over the way that he did, and the referee should have jumped in and given him a standing count, because after the first shot he was already sitting on the ropes.

Weeks didn't do that, and than after he should be breaking up the action and warning Ward for the low shots, but he seemed to miss that window too. Even after that point, why not give Kovalev the count at the very least, and after the count, call a timeout and warn Ward for the shots which strayed low. Stopping the fight was a crap decision in that moment.

Having said all that, Kovalev was in a world of trouble, hurt and gassed. You might be right, it possibly prolongs his career and the controversy will always be there. But I think overall the lack of a definitive conclusion hurt a classic rivalry, it hurt Weeks, it hurt Kovalev, and hurt Ward. So all round bad call.

Comment

Originally posted by Mukuro View Post
          I'll be honest, I went too far with that one. Apologies.

I'll take the L on that. Those shots were low though.
          Takes a man to admit he is wrong✌🏿. .... Now just Muz to go

Comment

Working...
          X