No announcement yet.

Why didnt Tyson Vs. Bowe happen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxingnut712 View Post
    This is the accurate answer above. By the time Tyson was released from prison, and had got some fight experience under his belt again Riddick Bowe had taken somewhere between 700 & 800 punches from Andrew Golota. Bowe was shot, and brain damaged. Bowe was so far shot that Eddie Futch wanted nothing to do with him anymore for the Golota rematch. It would have made no sense for Tyson to fight Bowe instead of Holyfield, Seldon, or Bruno again.
    Bowe was never in the picture for Tyson ,those who say he AVOIDED Bowe really don't know what they are talking about.

kind of like the other imbecile claiming Tyson avoided Lewis because he was paid side step money to a situation he wanted to get past,but has no answer why Lewis couldn't agree to the money deal after the Seldon fight.
    Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-17-2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

A far more likely situation would have been Bowe avoiding Tyson.

However it is clear, they were never actually on the others radar at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post

However it is clear, they were never actually on the others radar at the right time.
        Neither would have the time to avoid each other...Bowe didn't fight 8 years after Golota mugged him.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post

Actually this is true.

There was no collision course where these two were destined to meet. Profile wise, left to his own devices, Bowe was often driven by animosity....for example, he really wanted to destroy Gonzolez. Then you had the management which, made the decisions and had their own agenda, which did not include a bowe tyson match up... you had the alphabet soup which wanted to maintain their respective champs, You had lewis in the picture and...Tyson was a mentor like figure to Bowe who is on tape as saying as much. The friendship was paramount and given the other considerations no doubt Bowe's personal attitude was to cross that bridge when he came to it, despite never coming to it!

Comment

Originally posted by juggernaut666 View Post
            The problem is Lewis fought Mercer after Tyson had already defeated Seldon....
            1996-05-10: Lewis-Mercer
            1996-09-07: Tyson-Seldon

Lewis balked AND SO Tyson MADE THE Holyfield fight
            Mike Tyson was not a Floyd Mayweather figure, he was more Manny Pacquiao. Tyson was told who he would fight - his input was close to zero.

Don King announced the Tyson-Holyfield contest in June, prior to Tyson-Seldon being fought.

So what does Tyson do?He fights Holyfield which is the true money maker...shame on him....
            Tyson-McNeeley: $25 million
            Tyson-Mathis: $10 million (Network)
            Tyson-Bruno: $30 million
            Tyson-Seldon: $15 million
            Tyson-Holyfield: $30 million

Tyson was the money, Holyfield despite his name brought no more money than Frank Bruno did.

One can speculate this guy did this and that guy did that,the one thing that is clear is Lewis walked out on a huge pay day which was substantiated above.
            Don King claimed he offered Lewis in the region of $18 million, Frank Maloney claimed it was closer to $12 million.

The point of contention here is that the contest should of went to purse bids, Lewis' team were intending to bid $45 million.

Lewis share at 30% would of been $13.5 million - more than King's offer and he would of had the advantage of being the promotions "home" fighter.

For King to retain promotional rights he would of have had to bid more than $45 million, which would of increased Lewis' purse.

--

It never came to be so Lewis fought the man who had dethroned him, Oliver McCall, for the title he had lost.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
              1996-05-10: Lewis-Mercer
              1996-09-07: Tyson-Seldon

Mike Tyson was not a Floyd Mayweather figure, he was more Manny Pacquiao. Tyson was told who he would fight - his input was close to zero.

Don King announced the Tyson-Holyfield contest in June, prior to Tyson-Seldon being fought.

Tyson-McNeeley: $25 million
              Tyson-Mathis: $10 million (Network)
              Tyson-Bruno: $30 million
              Tyson-Seldon: $15 million
              Tyson-Holyfield: $30 million

Tyson was the money, Holyfield despite his name brought no more money than Frank Bruno did.

Don King claimed he offered Lewis in the region of $18 million, Frank Maloney claimed it was closer to $12 million.

The point of contention here is that the contest should of went to purse bids, Lewis' team were intending to bid $45 million.

Lewis share at 30% would of been $13.5 million - more than King's offer and he would of had the advantage of being the promotions "home" fighter.

For King to retain promotional rights he would of have had to bid more than $45 million, which would of increased Lewis' purse.

--

It never came to be so Lewis fought the man who had dethroned him, Oliver McCall, for the title he had lost.
              'Tyson was the money, Holyfield despite his name brought no more money than Frank Bruno did."

One cannot predict the future if you telling me lewis was thought to be a bigger attraction than holyfield you would be wrong.Everyone wanted the holyfield match up that was missed in 1991.

Not sure what lewis purse was,however it is clear lewis did not make more money without Tyson. and knew he never would so the so called I want this amount is just an excuse as I can see.i have no doubt lewis was not confident in beating Tyson at that time and maybe vice versa but its all question marks,coming off the Mercer fight I find that hard to believe the advantage goes to Lewis.
              Last edited by juggernaut666; 11-17-2015, 03:59 PM.

Comment

One cannot predict the future if you telling me lewis was thought to be a bigger attraction than holyfield you would be wrong.Everyone wanted the holyfield match up that was missed in 1991.
                Don King paid Tyson and Holyfield less than he would of had to have paid out on a Tyson-Lewis purse bid.

King also deemed Holyfield an easier opponent than Lewis - it was the right business move from King's prospective.

Even when Tyson lost, King still won as his contract with Holyfield ensured he had future options on his contests.

Not sure what lewis purse was,however it is clear lewis did not make more money without Tyson. and knew he never would so the so called I want this amount is just an excuse as I can see.
                Yes Lewis did not make as much in the immediate contests that followed but his career followed a pattern where he was not prepared to take the short money in exchange for greater perceived future earnings.

I don't think it is an excuse, it is a valid point in the negotiations.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
                  Don King paid Tyson and Holyfield less than he would of had to have paid out on a Tyson-Lewis purse bid.

King also deemed Holyfield an easier opponent than Lewis - it was the right business move from King's prospective.

Even when Tyson lost, King still won as his contract with Holyfield ensured he had future options on his contests.

Yes Lewis did not make as much in the immediate contests that followed but his career followed a pattern where he was not prepared to take the short money in exchange for greater perceived future earnings.

I don't think it is an excuse, it is a valid point in the negotiations.
                  'King also deemed Holyfield an easier opponent than Lewis - it was the right business move from King's prospective."

^^^^^
                  This may be true
                  however ppv records were broke on the Holyfield fights, lewis loses money in the long run, not sure where you see him making more? Had he defeated Tyson and beat Holyfield he would have made much more money than fighting Vitali and so forth...Holyfield/Tyson were the biggest boxing draws.

Taking greater perceived future earnings is making more money...the only time I actually see where he is in the right somewhat is with Bowe.

I think it comes down to Lewis stalling and King hoping for Holyfield but I think it was for financial reasons to make more money.

Comment

however ppv records were broke on the Holyfield fights
                    Only my opinion, but I believe Tyson vs. either Holyfield/Lewis/Bowe would of broke the PPV buy record Tyson-McNeeley set.

lewis loses money in the long run, not sure where you see him making more?
                    Lewis would of had the WBC title.

King planned to match Tyson, once he beat Holyfield, with IBF champion Michael Moorer, in the final fight of the six-fight MGM Grand deal.

Expectations were that Tyson-Lewis would met in a unification contest - with leverage of site fee, unified championship and fighters involved, record numbers were being looked upon.

Had he defeated Tyson and beat Holyfield he would have made much more money than fighting Vitali and so forth...Holyfield/Tyson were the biggest boxing draws.
                    That is correct, but not route they decided to take.

Taking greater perceived future earnings is making more money...the only time I actually see where he is in the right somewhat is with Bowe.
                    Whether it was right I cannot say, but there is a pattern of behavior.

Comment

Bowe was never in the picture for Tyson ,those who say he AVOIDED Bowe really don't know what they are talking about.

kind of like the other imbecile claiming Tyson avoided Lewis because he was paid side step money to a situation he wanted to get past,but has no answer why Lewis couldn't agree to the money deal after the Seldon fight.
                      Or kind of like how you said Lewis fought Mercer after Tyson beat Seldon. Another lie that you can't get away with.

Comment

Working...
                      X