Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao in a historical perspective

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think pacquiaos youth may allow him to win as a fight loke this will motivate him and he has always done well under the lights. You can't really get into his head. Mayweather struggled with maidana twice and I figured maidana would have been easy for him. Prime for prime though im not sure. Down the stretch may would grab rounds but early on it would look like the Zab fight even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
      I think pacquiaos youth may allow him to win as a fight loke this will motivate him and he has always done well under the lights. You can't really get into his head. Mayweather struggled with maidana twice and I figured maidana would have been easy for him. Prime for prime though im not sure. Down the stretch may would grab rounds but early on it would look like the Zab fight even worse.
      I know pacquiao got koed by jmm but that was 4 fights in the making and it looked as though he was going to stop jmm.

Comment

Originally posted by likeamulekick View Post
        - Can the belated timing of the fight compare to previous superfights and what is the significance of that?
        I don't think there has been another superfight that seemed so straight forward to make that took as long to materialise.

Tyson-Holyfield suffered two injury postponements, a fight cancellation and a 3 year prison sentence - and it still took less time than this one to get made.

Hagler-Leonard was made some time after it was first seriously discussed - eventually when both were on the slide, though again the circumstances forced the gulf in time, Leonard's detached retina, retirement and originally fighting in different weight classes.

- How will the outcome affect the Winner/loser in an all-time perspective?
        For those who do lists, maybe a few places if it plays out as it's expected. If the unexpected happens - Pacquiao stops or dominates Mayweather - then he jumps up that bit more I would guess.

- Is this the globally most significant fight of all time?
        Probably, the same way the next big one will top this. I think it'll definitely hold the attention of the worldwide media and it's the first real superfight of the social-media age.

This is still the best match-up in the weight class, it's maybe no longer my top fantasy pick of what's out there but I've thought about how these two would fare against each other more than any other potential fight I can think of and I can't wait for the opening bell and seeing how it plays out.

I understand the delay downplay talk, who didn't want to see the Pacquiao of '09 up against a Mayweather who was coming back into the sport after a short break.

But what we got is still an interesting and exciting contest, though the style-clash expectation has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
          For those who do lists, maybe a few places if it plays out as it's expected. If the unexpected happens - Pacquiao stops or dominates Mayweather - then he jumps up that bit more I would guess.
          Lets be realistic. If Pacquiao stops or dominates Floyd, his status will be bumped way more than a bit.

I can't forget how quickly Holyfield went from being regarded as washed up former cruiserweight to one of the greatest heavyweight champions ever in the eyes of many when he beat a faded Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            Lets be realistic. If Pacquiao stops or dominates Floyd, his status will be bumped way more than a bit.

I can't forget how quickly Holyfield went from being regarded as washed up former cruiserweight to one of the greatest heavyweight champions ever in the eyes of many when he beat a faded Mike Tyson.

I remember the Holyfield situation well. He only became washed up again after the first Lewis fight which he was favored to win lol.

I think the legacy of either fighter goes up a lot with a decisive win.

Comment

Call me ridiculous but we are seeing a May who was touched up by a brawler and a Pacman who is physically vulnerable compared to a few years back. Its window dressing and the real fans, not the fanboys will laugh at the notion that a prime Mayweather would lose to Pacman. Its better than no fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM-2010 View Post
                Lets put it this way, I believe they have declined about an equal amount. Pacquiao doesn't destroy his opponents anymore with his youthful style(and is now more skilled and technical and intelligent to make up for it) while Mayweather doesn't completely shut-out and make his opponents look like amateurs anymore in every fight.

This is why it's not that much of an issue. You'd have a point if one guy was much more past his prime than the other but it's not. How can some people not be extremely excited for this fight I don't know, maybe some kind of bitterness.
                Its not bitterness in my case....I will assume I am not the only one. Its the realization that we are seeing whom father time is more kind to, more so than settling any great fighting debate. BTW it is still no doubt an exciting event, but I would much rather see the Floyd who could check hook the fleet footed Hatton deal with pacman. And I would rather see the pacman who had been in a few less wars.

Hey look at this smilie....know something interesting? we can't say the F word but the smilie can!!!! never noticed that

Comment

I think both guys have lost a step, but about equally. They are both speedy guys so its kinda even in how they have declined if you know what i mean. The winners stock will go sky high and they will be known as the greatest fighter of the 21st century. If Pacman stops Floyd, that would be incredible. 100 million + Filipinos around the world go insane, Floyds "0" finally goes, his flashy "money" persona all built around that 0 finally gets cracked.

I cannot wait for this fight. Like absolutely cannot wait.

Comment

Will it be an exciting event? Yes. Ali and Frazier were north past their best at the Thrill a in Manilla; but it wasn't "The Fight". Leonard and Hearns still had a "War" in 1988; but it would a been better in 83, had Leonard not been retired.

These guys could have had three rights by now. That's my point. Are they still ranked? Are other still "belts" involved? Yes and yes....is this current "business" of boxing as gold for the fans as the sport of boxing was a few years ago? ..............

Still, at least they're finally getting into the ring......too damn late......but at least they're doing it./ It is better than never

Comment

The winner of the fight will be unquestionably the best of their generation.

The winner will get a big bump in the legacy catergory, both both bring passed their best days.

Comment

Working...
                      X