Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When a Name Fighter Has Another Name Fighter Hurt in a Big Fight...and backs off

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When a Name Fighter Has Another Name Fighter Hurt in a Big Fight...and backs off

I think Keith Thurman really put on the running shoes in what could have been a hell of a fight with a huge audience tuning in. He's not the only one, but I feel like in a big fight with so much on the line, isn't it best to go for the KO and give the fans what they want? Most likely he could have done it without taking any kind of beating or anything. The fans deserve better than that. And legacy wise, that flat out sucked.

He got touched up a few times with Danny's counters and then decided to play it smart. I mean, he'll tell you he got the W and that's all that matters - but I think he missed a chance to become the first PBC guy to really break out.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
      I think Keith Thurman really put on the running shoes in what could have been a hell of a fight with a huge audience tuning in. He's not the only one, but I feel like in a big fight with so much on the line, isn't it best to go for the KO and give the fans what they want? Most likely he could have done it without taking any kind of beating or anything. The fans deserve better than that. And legacy wise, that flat out sucked.
      Right... And then if he gets stopped or loses those same fans he tried to put on a show for will turn their backs on him cause that good precious "0" is gone. No thanks. Whoever likes him will tune in whether he One Times someone or just boxes their ears off.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post

I completely disagree with your analysis of Thurman, in really any fight, he doesn't back down, he boxes smart at times but running? Only a casual calls boxing off the backfoot and moving, running.

As far as the title goes, Pac/Margarito comes to mind.

Tito/ODLH is another one.

Comment

I see it a lot though specific instances are hard to name off the top of my head. Fighters get worried about expending too much energy and punching themselves out. It's easy to judge but not being in there, face-to-face with the other guy, it's hard to say.

BIW, nice sig. Don was a unique one for sure.
          Last edited by Redd Foxx; 04-06-2017, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Pac /Moseley....Vitaly/Briggs

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
              I see it a lot though specific instances are hard to name off the top of my head. Fighters get worried about expending too much energy and punching themselves out. It's easy to judge but not being in there, face-to-face with the other guy, it's hard to say.

BIW, nice sig. Don was a unique one for sure.
              Yes he was, man.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia's Dad View Post
                He got touched up a few times with Danny's counters and then decided to play it smart. I mean, he'll tell you he got the W and that's all that matters - but I think he missed a chance to become the first PBC guy to really break out.
                Yes I agree. I think playing it safe is smart but not inspiring. He'll make his money anyway, but he won't get the kind of respect down the line of say a Trinidad. That guy kept gunning the whole fight every fight and got Vargas out of there among others.

Comment

Sutherland had Rainford hurt bad after his first cat paw jab -- that **** rocked Rainford. Rainford was full-on queer street after that. But then Brian eased off because he was paid under the table to throw the fight, paving the way for Rainford to become one of the biggest stars in boxing.
                  Last edited by Mike D; 04-07-2017, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Crawford vs Postol

That fight was just plain stupid. Postol was feeling them punches and crawford just backed away. every opportunity he got.

It was infuriating.

Comment

Working...
                    X