Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
    Hi,

Sorry for not posting back.

I have taken a break from everything online, social media, forums, youtube etc

Am I depressed? i don't know.
    Have I felt this down before? Absolutely never.

What is my problem? Mood swings and guilt. A number of families members are extremely ill. My mother is sick as is my father, my brothers are not helping and alot has been to me to figure out.

How am I dealing with it? Gym twice a day. Spending time with friends, focusing on positive aspects of my life and refusing to get down by stuff I cannot control.

What am I not doing? Speaking to a doctor. I don't want to go on prescription medication, I don't feel that is the answer.

Thank you for taking the time to make suggestions, it means a lot. Even the keyboard warriors typing pure ****, I genuinely hope you guys are happy one way or another.

I'm doing good but I've a lot of work to do. I hope none of you feel this way at any stage of your life. Watching your family suffer is difficult
    Yeah, good idea for now. Tbh, after we had a lecture a couple of years ago in an intro psych class about depression, and the professor said that antidepressants work for 80 something % of the people who seek help (the percent of people who seek medical help for depression is low however). Sounds like a good number and all, then I got curious and looked up anti depressant medication and damn, the negative side effects might as well say "death". It sounds like you're doing the right thing for now, keeping active

Keep in mind PB, depression is an illness, something some people are born with (predisposed to have), and certain events trigger it, so don't feel weak or like you wish you were stronger, it's possible you were just born that way. Even though I am strongly against antidepressants, if it gets really bad just seek medical help man, depression is an illness that needs treatment. It's a legit illness in that, people with depression have decreased amount of dopamine in their brain. And good advice from Bringer on staying away from alcohol

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thank you to Bringer and Kev for the advice and offering of support, means a lot.

I have spent the last week off work on sick leave,
      This was not recommended by my doctor (as I have still not consulted one.) this was my decision.

I am still off social media and training a lot. Yesterday, I broke down. I don't know why.

Doing my best still. This message means nothing to 99.9% of you. It's my way of writing things down though.

Thanks again,
      Pb32

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy32 View Post
        Hi Guys,

Thank you to Bringer and Kev for the advice and offering of support, means a lot.

I have spent the last week off work on sick leave,
        This was not recommended by my doctor (as I have still not consulted one.) this was my decision.

I am still off social media and training a lot. Yesterday, I broke down. I don't know why.

Doing my best still. This message means nothing to 99.9% of you. It's my way of writing things down though.

Thanks again,
        Pb32
        u have to accept your depressed

and have to come to your senses that there are people out there that are dealing with greater depression in life.

keep being positive and dont let it put u down
        negativity has nothing positive for u

you are not alone

Comment

Get out into the sun, walk around, and sleep normal hours.

Volunteer and help others.... This always works.

Comment

You don't have to tell us why exactly you're depressed, but maybe you should be honest with yourself and start at the root of the problem. Women, money, family, stress, existential crises, ect. General advice would be to always keep busy, it's hard to find the motivation when you're depressed (believe me, I know all too well) but you have to get out of the house and keeo yourself active and mind occupied. Meet some women, join a gym, pick up a hobby or part time job.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
              Keep it trashy.

Seriously, though : Drinking is universally considered to be one of the worst things somebody with depression can do. Alcohol is a depressant. When taken with already existing depression you're just going to feel worse once the buzz wears off. Then you're going to want to get drunk again for the buzz to avoid feeling like ****. It's a cycle.

Rinse and repeat until you end up sucking d*ck in the bathroom stall at the bar like our buddy Georges here.

Try some exercise, PB32. Nothing crazy. Don't set any goals or anything - You might find yourself more depressed if you don't have the energy to meet them. But try a light workout. Maybe some cardio or light weight work. Put on some music and see if you feel any better when your blood gets pumping.

Diet can be pretty important too. If you're eating **** you're going to feel like ****.

Of course, sex always helps too. Not sure if you have a boyfriend at the moment or not but you might wanna hit up the local gay bar. :*******:

Kidding, of course. Hope you feel better, dude.
              Originally posted by Barn View Post
              I went through something similar to depression recently and found these steps helped.

1. Force yourself to the gym everyday (or something similarly productive)
              2. Eat clean, drink water
              3. Stop beating your meat
              4. Delete social media and other useless time sinks
              5. Stop drinking or taking drugs

These should be goals you should aim for, but start small. Try and have just one day of eating great, or doing a small run at the gym on your first day, for example.

The most important thing however is sorting out the HUGE parts of your life that are getting you down. Terrible job? Quit it if you can, it beats wanting to kill yourself. C*nt of a girlfriend? Get rid of her. Being lonely beats wanting to kill yourself. Meditation or writing down your thoughts is also a great way to feel better. If you're feeling directionless or disillusioned then having a real hard think about stuff can be useful. Be sure to remind yourself of the positives of your life, and the ways you have value to both yourself and others. Also, be sure to keep in mind that life truly is just a ride and you can choose to live it any way you want so try not to get bogged down in doing things just because it's socially expected of you.
              Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
              Get out into the sun, walk around, and sleep normal hours.

Volunteer and help others.... This always works.

volunteering really works, you'll forget about your own problems when you help someone else with theirs

all good advice ^ except I can't figure out the don't beat your meat, I think that would help you feel less depressed

Comment

that sucks bro i hope u can get better.

i don't believe i have depression but my social anxiety and anxieties in general are probably going to get me to that point if i don't do something aobut it soon enough. i haven't told anyone about it,not even my mom. what sucks is that i could easily tell her and she'll help me get to a doctor who could help me out ASAP with my anxiety and prescribe me some drugs but i'm too scared to talk about my feelings,especially wiht my mom. i have trouble openining up fully to people that are closest to me for some reason. i hate talking about my feelings.

btw from what i hear anti depressants can have some terrible side effects and what not but anxiety medications are alot different and can help you tons.

Comment

Stay away from alcohol. Go to the gym, lift heavy sht and make that your therapy.. i took sertraline and xanax when depression hit me several months ago. It helped. But lifting works for me the best

Comment

Smoke every single night before you go to bed...

Becoming a temporary pothead is far better than becoming an alcoholic. This if you already started with the drink... Distance yourself far from the drink. Then you can start to follow in the advice of the rest of these homies that is far better, but far more difficult, then the one I offer you.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleLeftH00k View Post
                      u have to accept your depressed

and have to come to your senses that there are people out there that are dealing with greater depression in life.

keep being positive and dont let it put u down
                      negativity has nothing positive for u

you are not alone
                      This is a relative privation fallacy, which is just a modern twist on the more well known moral equivalence fallacy. The entire basis of your argument is fallacious because it seeks only to discredit OP's depression by attempting to dismiss his legitimate feelings by making comparisons to more extreme cases of X, Y, or Z.

The truth is that everybody is dealing with a different set of circumstances in life. My problems in life are different from yours. OP's problems are different from mine. Couple that with the fact that everybody has their own unique thresholds for various forms of pain tolerance, be they physical or mental.

Somebody in this thread could lose their job tomorrow and find their brain switch to a depressive state as a result. Another dude in this very same thread could have the same thing happen to him and it wouldn't affect his mental state whatsoever.

Life experience and the reaction of the individual's mind to those experiences are all relative and subjective. Depression is a legitimate mental illness as defined by the DSM-5 and, contrary to the popular beliefs of a misinformed public, it's not something you can just "keep being positive" about while "not letting it put you down."

As for PB32 - I like what you're doing here by not only shedding light on your experience with depression, but by keeping us updated with your thoughts as you navigate your way through it. That's a pretty bold step in a forum as fucking chaotic and backward as this one, and I applaud you in doing it.

Please, keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X