No announcement yet.

Which coach suits Cotto better, Steward or Diaz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which coach suits Cotto better, Steward or Diaz

I believe it was Steward. He was banging to the body often, Emanuel worked on improving his balance and reintroduced the straight right hand/liver shot into his arsenal. We saw him clinch Mayorga in spots although I praise Diaz on teaching Cotto to frustrate Margarito's pressure with turning. I also liked that he was locking Margarito up, smothering his offense by pushing him back into the ropes and unleashing fierce combos upstairs.

They both had success and brought different things to Cotto's game but I feel like Steward benefits him most in working off his strengths and focusing on solid boxing fundamentals, especially for a fighter like Cotto who has transformed his style throughout the years. He went from boxer/buncher, to educated brawler after the first loss, to more of boxer later in his career and at a heavier weight class.

(Secretly, 2010-present version of Cotto has become my favorite. He's disciplined and paces himself better than before. Still makes mistakes but adjusts accordingly. His fights are always entertaining for both the diehards and general public. Miguel Cotto is not shot. Has his career been as successful as it otherwise could've been? Probably not. But it's not over yet, which begs the following questions: Is there still the potential for him to become an ATG of our era? Even so, has he solidified his status as a future Hall of Famer? )

They both had just 1 fight with him

Hard to tell

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
      They both had just 1 fight with him

Hard to tell
      Steward had Foreman/Mayorga
      Diaz of course had Marg

It is somewhat a stretch to evaluate between the two based on only 3 fights, but judging the difference in Cotto's abilities now to the one who fought Jennings, Clottey and Pacquiao what tweaks have you seen?

Comment

Originally posted by War Aficionado View Post
        Steward had Foreman/Mayorga
        Diaz of course had Marg

It is somewhat a stretch to evaluate between the two based on only 3 fights, but judging the difference in Cotto's abilities now to the one who fought Jennings, Clottey and Pacquiao what tweaks have you seen?
        Way better at footwork and angles is probably the biggest. Both trainers seemed to be focusing on getting cotto to be a two handed fighter again, which he is, so thats a major tweak. He just needs to go to the body more, i dont know if diaz is focusing on that but steward was talking about it all the time.

Comment

i think 95% of cotto's game is already set in stone - he is who he is. . . however, i think diaz is probably a better fit. . . steward wanted cotto to fight standing straight up, which would ultimately cause him to get tagged more, and render his combinations less effective. . . he tries to apply a "tall fighter's" game to guys like cotto who aren't tall for their division. . .

overall, i just think diaz is a few steps ahead of steward. . . steward is old school and set in his ways, whereas diaz is evolves with the game - he does research and stays on top of every development/new techniques/training methods, etc. . . he just seems like the future of successful boxing trainers. . . he comes from THE BEST boxing system in the world, in cuba. . .

i feel like steward just goes through the motions, and is more concerned about sealing his legacy and getting paid, whereas diaz actually IS IN LOVE with boxing, and actually enjoys every minute of what he does

Comment

Díaz.

He admitted that he even worked psychologically with Cotto. This man knows his game.

Comment

When asked about returning to Cotto's corner after the fight it didn't look like Diaz will be back. He said the compromise was only for the Margarito fight and that they delivered what they promised, a revenge W over the "Tijuana Ceiling Fan".

He said he was going back to Montreal where he lives and that he couldn't say wether he'd be back. Maybe Cotto will bring back Steward for his next fight, though I hope he keeps the Dr., Mr. Sports Science, Pedro Diaz.

Comment

Originally posted by cotto#1p4p View Post
                When asked about returning to Cotto's corner after the fight it didn't look like Diaz will be back. He said the compromise was only for the Margarito fight and that they delivered what they promised, a revenge W over the "Tijuana Ceiling Fan".

He said he was going back to Montreal where he lives and that he couldn't say wether he'd be back. Maybe Cotto will bring back Steward for his next fight, though I hope he keeps the Dr., Mr. Sports Science, Pedro Diaz.
                Cotto said that he plans to keep learning from Díaz. So I expect to see him back, though it appears Cotto hasn't talked about it with Mr. Sports Science.

Comment

Diaz.

Manny said last night that he would have had Miguel fight inside with Margarito and bang with him, believing he would have got the KO. For me that's not the best strategy for that fight. Diaz got it perfect, improved Miguel's inside flaws in terms of teaching him how to hold effectively.

Overall I liked what Diaz done. He had Miguel performing balance drills, co-ordination drills and several other things that improved him. I believe Miguel looked much better the other night than he did against Mayorga.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                    Diaz.

Manny said last night that he would have had Miguel fight inside with Margarito and bang with him, believing he would have got the KO. For me that's not the best strategy for that fight. Diaz got it perfect, improved Miguel's inside flaws in terms of teaching him how to hold effectively.

Overall I liked what Diaz done. He had Miguel performing balance drills, co-ordination drills and several other things that improved him. I believe Miguel looked much better the other night than he did against Mayorga.
                    Basically what he sent Cintrón to do in their second fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X