No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: UFC is in hell thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFFICIAL: UFC is in hell thread

McGregor their biggest and only REAL draw left the sport to go compete in boxing and is about to get KTFO on Saturday night. Jon Jones the only other name they have that can some what draw is completely fuked. Im just a casual ufc/mma fan but it seems like everything that can go wrong is going wrong.

I am not stating boxing has things going on perfectly but after Saturday night the UFC will literally have no name that can draw big numbers for their organization.

Originally posted by KOVALEVKO View Post
    McGregor their biggest and only REAL draw left the sport to go compete in boxing and is about to get KTFO on Saturday night. Jon Jones the only other name they have that can some what draw is completely fuked. Im just a casual ufc/mma fan but it seems like everything that can go wrong is going wrong.

I am not stating boxing has things going on perfectly but after Saturday night the UFC will literally have no name that can draw big numbers for their organization.
    conor will compete in both...this fight with mayweather is a money grab for both...jon jones is an idiot there are plenty of stars in the ufc.

Comment

The UFC will be fine.

The #1 UFC PPV draw in history, GSP, is coming back later this year.

Conor the #5 UFC PPV draw will be back later this year best case or sometime next year if this boxing thing lasts longer, I suspect Conor vs Nate Diaz III will be happening soon & that'll probably be among the top 3 PPV's in UFC history

Amanda Nunes is averaging 1M+ buys (for fighting Rousey + headlining UFC 200 on accident on late notice due to the previous Jon Jones f#ck up), but I suspect she's got a decent following & when headlines a standalone event in a couple weeks its possible she can prove herself to be a legit draw.

And for guys on the comeup, Max Holloway has potential. Cody No Love is a guy who'll likely catch fire when he's not injured. Stipe is selling more PPV's lately. Robert Whittaker seems like he might have some potential. And then there are guys who are still in the real early stages & not headling PPV's yet & might have some drawing ability if they are good enough to make it to that level like my boy Yair & Mike Perry. If Sage Northcutt works on his game I think he could be THE draw in the UFC in the next 2.5-3yrs as he's super young right now & has a good work ethic.

So again the UFC is fine. Thats the thing with the UFC, its like the army infantry. They always got some guys they can push to the front line if the other guys got shot or stepped on a mine or whatever.

Comment

I don't follow it closely and thought GSP would be long retired by now. He has got to be way up there in age. I'm not sure Conor will be back considering the money he made for Mayweather fight and what the ufc would offer him. I think his drawing power is going to take a huge blow by the way on Saturday night because I see him getting KTFO or quitting. No one knows who the fuk Amanda Nunes is. I am sure there are plenty of young potential future stars in the ufc who will come but I am just talking about from a business stand point right now they are in terrible shape. I am just talking about from the casual fan perspective there is possibly no big name active for them right now. I didn't know GSP was still fighting but other than that there is literally no one (and I mean for the casuals) that is a big name. I think Conor is literally all they have right now and I don't think the future looks too good for him imo...

Comment

I am not some idiot saying or the ufc is dead... because that is clearly not the case and will never happen. What I am saying is that 2017 has not been a great year financially. Highest ppv so far is 850,000 buys and Conor ain't coming back later this year.

To sum up what I am saying is they are not having anywhere near a banner year financially and are struggling to create new stars for the mainstream. That is what I see from my perspective at least. Obviously you know more about this topic than I do but I have been checking buy rates and follow mmasupremacy on twitter and a few others who have said they have had a really really down year financially.

Comment

UFC is definitely dead its in massive debt and will go bankrupt in the near future. Bellator will take over but it will only be as successful as k-1

Comment

I don't follow it closely and thought GSP would be long retired by now.
              Yea its been 4 years since he fought, but he's coming back in November to fight for the 185lb title. He's 36.

I'm not sure Conor will be back considering the money he made for Mayweather fight and what the ufc would offer him.
              Thats a legit concern, but I think boxing isn't likely to go as well for Conor as he thinks & MMA will prove to be his calling not boxing. Now if he beats Floyd Saturday or even has a good showing then I think Conor's MMA career could be over or at best it got reduced by several fights.

No one knows who the fuk Amanda Nunes is.
              She's got the 3rd highest average PPV buys in UFC history to Conor & Brock. Like I said its kinda a fluke with how it happened, but people know her & how well they do will show on Sept. 9 when she's headlining a show without any extras that helped her out the previous two times she sold 1M+ PPV's.

I am sure there are plenty of young potential future stars in the ufc who will come but I am just talking about from a business stand point right now they are in terrible shape.
              I'm a long time UFC guy (since the video tape days in Blockbuster) & I've been hearing this since Royce was the man & then when Shamrock was the man, Then Severn, Then Coleman, then Tito, then Couture, than Matt Hughes, then Belfort, then Liddell, then GSP, then Silva, then BJ, then Brock & so on til we got to Conor & Ronda of recent memory. There have been a bunch of stars in the UFC & they burn those guys up & new guys always come up & take their place. Being a Star of the UFC is like being 4th Stage Cancer Patient of the Year. You aren't going to be around a long time in either case most likely.

The UFC is fickle as f#ck & not like boxing with names.

Here's the biggest UFC PPV of the year for the last 12 years.

'06 Chuck Liddell vs Tito Ortiz (1M+)
              '07 Georges St. Pierre vs Matt Hughes (750k+)
              '08 Brock Lesnar vs Randy Couture (1M+)
              '09 Brock Lesnar vs Frank Mir (1.6M+)
              '10 Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin (1.1M+)
              '11 Georges St. Pierre vs Jake Shields (800k+)
              '12 Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen (920k+)
              '13 Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman (1M+)
              '14 Chris Weidman vs Lyoto Machida (540k+)
              '15 Ronda Rousey vs Holly Holm (1.1M+)
              '16 Conor McGregor vs Nate Diaz (1.6M+)

'17 (so far) Jon Jones vs Daniel Cormier (850k+)

If the above doesn't prove that the UFC is a much more fickle business than boxing look at boxing's biggest PPV of the last 12 years & how many times you see the same names involved vs the same names in the UFC.

'06 Oscar De La Hoya vs Ricardo Mayorga (920k+)
              '07 Oscar De La Hoya vs Floyd Mayweather (2.4M+)
              '08 Oscar De La Hoya vs Manny Pacquiao (1.2M+)
              '09 Manny Pacquiao vs Miguel Cotto (1.2M+)
              '10 Floyd Mayweather vs Shane Mosley (1.4M+)
              '11 Floyd Mayweather vs Victor Ortiz (1.2M+)
              '12 Floyd Mayweather vs Miguel Cotto (1.5M+)
              '13 Floyd Mayweather vs Saul Alvarez (2.2M+)
              '14 Floyd Mayweather vs Marcos Maidana (920k+)
              '15 Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao (4.4M+)
              '16 Saul Alvarez vs Amir Khan (450k+)

'17 (so far) Saul Alvarez vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr (1M+)

Different business models.

Comment

UFC has been working pretty hard over the years to minimize the starpower of their fighters.

They want fans who will simply cheer for two rockem-sockem robots in Reebok uniforms.

It really dulls down the entire watching experience, but their target has not been combat sports aficionados for quite a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                  She's got the 3rd highest average PPV buys in UFC history to Conor & Brock. Like I said its kinda a fluke with how it happened, but people know her & how well they do will show on Sept. 9 when she's headlining a show without any extras that helped her out the previous two times she sold 1M+ PPV's.
                  lol Nunes had nothing to do with any of those buys. She isn't a star.

Comment

lol you don't know anything about mma.

The UFC has gone through this kind of thing MANY MANY times in the last 20 years and they have survived it all.

Sean Sherk got popped for roids in 2002 and got his title stripped ppl thought UFC would never recover
                    When BJ Penn vacated his titles and signed with PRIDE ppl thought UFC would never recover
                    When Couture retired ppl thought UFC would never recover
                    When Liddell got ko'd ppl thought UFC would never recover
                    When Silva got ko'd ppl thought UFC would never recover
                    When GSP retired ppl thought UFC would never recover
                    When Ronda got ko'd ppl thought UFC would never recover

No matter what happens, UFC always recovers because theres always someone else. If Jones gets banned for life and Mcgregor retires today, UFC will recover.
                    Last edited by -Swizzy-; 08-23-2017, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X