Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes someone an exciting fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes someone an exciting fighter?

I was talking to a young pro boxer who is currently 8-0, by decision. No knock outs, just outpointed his opponents with a bore style like Mayweather's.

I told him, you want to get on international level / rankings / your name out there for a title shot work on knockouts and stoppages - no one is going to know who you are if you aren't an exciting fighter in the early stage of your career.

I was watching a video of his and he seems to be in poor form, no speed or explosiveness but a good technical style with average techniques - he has the potential but he needs to work on being more exciting to get his name out there.

What do you think?

You look at every successful pro boxers, they got their name out there by having a successful amateur career, a medal from the Olympics or past family members being in the sport.

And you also look at their early stages of their careers, most of the wins are by knock outs.

Comment

Someone like Ugas for me who can box and bang.

Box and hurt his opponent when needed.

First thought to my mind.

Comment

He should get hit in the face more and be a blood and guts warrior

Comment

Swing the axs get on the logs and swing away

Comment

It seems like the average person who watches boxing likes to see a knockout. I think after having seen a few fights where one guy ends up seriously injured or even comatose, I've gotten to the point where I don't really even care to see a brutal KO at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Quiksilva View Post
              I was talking to a young pro boxer who is currently 8-0, by decision. No knock outs, just outpointed his opponents with a bore style like Mayweather's.

I told him, you want to get on international level / rankings / your name out there for a title shot work on knockouts and stoppages - no one is going to know who you are if you aren't an exciting fighter in the early stage of your career.

I was watching a video of his and he seems to be in poor form, no speed or explosiveness but a good technical style with average techniques - he has the potential but he needs to work on being more exciting to get his name out there.

What do you think?
              I hate how much emphasis is being put on the spectacle in boxing. I grew up as a hockey fan when the Devils ran the league. Yes they were boring and somewhat ruined excitement in the game, but their system was better. Same thing with the Spurs in the NBA, somewhat basic and not exciting at all, but still efficient. Why can't boxing fans be that way? Why can't they appreciate the sport aspect of it instead of looking for a brawl every time?

Comment

Vulnerability

Gatti
                Vargas
                Mayorga
                Pavlik
                Manny
                Hatton
                Tito

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                  Vulnerability

Gatti
                  Vargas
                  Mayorga
                  Pavlik
                  Manny
                  Hatton
                  Tito
                  You should add Maidana, Provodnikov and Mickey Ward to that list. Come for a war but obviously beatable.

Comment

Violent, fast paced and dramatic. That's all that matters.

Violent: in that you have someone who can inflict damage because he has power (Tyson) to destroy someone or skill (Ali) to inflict punishment

Fast paced: an ebb and flow, with ups and downs, with one fighter gaining the upper hand and then being pummelled

Dramatic:
                    A surprise ending or an emotional and humiliating loss e.g. Mayweather losing.

People only care about boxing skills only in so far as they're utilised to inflict punishment NOT point scoring. Being skilful, defensive and inflicting punishment are not mutually exclusive as some of the nerds on here will have you believe.

Comment

Working...
                    X