No announcement yet.

Woot! First Spar.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SquareCircle View Post
    Here's a little tip because you're young as ****, and that's really great man, age 14 and boxing already,..man do you realize what kind of a monster you could be at age 18 if you take boxing seriously...listen to me very carefully, It takes a very mature young man to take what I'm about to say in, but if you have the maturity to take it in and understand it completely, that would be great..

Kid, before you turn 19, you can be famous, but not just you, you'll make where you're from famous as well if you put in enough work. Just remember, it's all done in the gym, so just don't **** off when you train, let nature take it's natural course and as long as you don't slack off with the training and continue to push your limits, you'll develop some serious firepower.

work on that goddamn jab like your life hangs in the balance. jab with a glove on, quick jabs and return it to your guard, when you go home after boxing. i dont care how sore it makes you the next day, do it anyway and eat eggs for breakfast when you get up in the morning. after breakfast eat a multivitamin of any kind, always, after breakfast tho so the minerals are absorbed. get some wrist weights or ankle weights and jab with it til muscular fatigue. Everyone talks about the jab at my old gym like it's something to put on the back burner, but thats my #1 tool. larry holmes, and sonny liston, are two fighters to watch some old fights of if you really want to perfect that jab, thats what i did and learned from them. Just watch a bunch of old fights man. Classic fights. live, breathe, eat, sleep and **** boxing....Do all that, and at the same time, keep your social life at a level where you dont get depressed, (Don't fall in love with the wrong girl dude) .....and you will be somebody.

only reason im tellin you all this is because I wish I had an older bro or dad to tell me all this **** when I was 14, so you really need to soak in this information if you're serious about boxing. every little bit helps.

sounds like you shouldnt spar with that trainer if you got headaches, that means he was jabbin kinda hard, i tell u, if I was in there with a 14 yr old id be throwing some soft ass shots, definately nothing that would cause a headache. u sparred a grown ass man, the kids at your school wish they had the balls you do.

are you Teddy Atlas?

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
      Hey man, take it from someone who had the exact same thing (like...scary similar) happen. You have a great attitude. I came home pissed off and upset with myself, thought about quitting (this was 2 weeks ago, and my teeth STILL dont feel right, literally), and had to get punked out of my own attitude. Keep your head up and keep your attitude going, its your best asset when your still in a learning stage. Good props.
      Well actualy, that thread you made knd of helped. Now knowing that most people do pretty bad on their first spar.

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
      Welcome to the game bro, none other quite like it. The headaches will happen from time to time but after awhile they just seem to stop happening. I remember getting my teeth x-rayed at the Dentists office and he told me that my jaw was out of alignment. He asked how it happened. Well, I never played much golf.

Congrats on stepping up and seeing first hand, too many talk and never step up to try. As they say, props to you man!!!!!!!....................Rockin'
      Hahaha, thanks man

Originally posted by SquareCircle View Post
      Here's a little tip because you're young as ****, and that's really great man, age 14 and boxing already,..man do you realize what kind of a monster you could be at age 18 if you take boxing seriously...listen to me very carefully, It takes a very mature young man to take what I'm about to say in, but if you have the maturity to take it in and understand it completely, that would be great..
      Im starting to take boxing pretty seriously. I've never found a sport I liked. But boxing I love.

sounds like you shouldnt spar with that trainer if you got headaches, that means he was jabbin kinda hard, i tell u, if I was in there with a 14 yr old id be throwing some soft ass shots, definately nothing that would cause a headache.
      Well, i've always gotten headaches easily. Even bumpy car rides give me a mild headache.

u sparred a grown ass man, the kids at your school wish they had the balls you do.
      Ha! Thats almost exactly what I told some of friends today.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel F. View Post
        So I just got back and I did horribly :P. Or so I thought. I sparred with my coach. Now, im 14 years old about 137 lbs. I've been lazy as **** all my life. I just started the gym a month ago, and im going up against "Fast" Frankie Caruso with 160 amateur fights under his belt and is 23 years old. Not only that, we are using 16 oz.

3 rounds.
        He goes 50%, but all he can do is jab.
        I go 100% and can throw any punch I want.

Its SO much different then I thought. When I first got in I was like "Hell yeah this gonna be fun.". And when he cracked me with that first good jab. I was thinking this isn't so hard. By the second round every time he jabbed me I felt this "rush" and "crack" go through my skull. And, I wasn't breathing when I punched, I wasn't thinking or I was over thinking. But they said I did good. And im excited to spar again. I've also decided i'll be running every Monday and Wedsnday.

PS. I have a huge ****ing headache.
        Love that first time in the ring. I was owned to save the fact the guy thought I was trying to hard to hurt him and thought he'd teach me a lesson and crack me good, just made me mad and I put him on his ass with a LH.

Run ever other day. Don't just go for a long distance run either. interval sprints will help you as a boxer much more than jogging. Try to sprint for the same length of time as a round 2 min for you, jog for 1 and repeat a good 6-7 times. Or at least work up to that many reps. Check out a few other sites Like rossboxing for some other endurance training tips Train smart and hard.

Comment

Hey how the **** do you do quotes, im so ******ed i cant figure out how too. Yah kingdosia i just started doing hill interval training today and my legs feel like theyr gonna die, sprinting up hills and jogging like half a mile than back at it for like 7 times. And im going to hit the gym in a bout an hour ha.

Comment

Originally posted by oshea1690 View Post
            Hey how the **** do you do quotes, im so ******ed i cant figure out how too. Yah kingdosia i just started doing hill interval training today and my legs feel like theyr gonna die, sprinting up hills and jogging like half a mile than back at it for like 7 times. And im going to hit the gym in a bout an hour ha.

Thats the way you do it...................Rockin'

Comment

What do you click !

Comment

Originally posted by oshea1690 View Post
                What do you click !
                I meant with the training, your doing it right man. Work hard and it will just come.

Click on multiple quote on the bottom. You should be good from there...............Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                  Hey man, take it from someone who had the exact same thing (like...scary similar) happen. You have a great attitude. I came home pissed off and upset with myself, thought about quitting (this was 2 weeks ago, and my teeth STILL dont feel right, literally), and had to get punked out of my own attitude. Keep your head up and keep your attitude going, its your best asset when your still in a learning stage. Good props.
                  I remember your thread about your first spar. Had a feeling you wouldn't give up. Taking another step in this game and probably don't even realize it hang in there, man up and show yourself what you are all about.

Comment

Working...
                  X