Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Win or lose - Will Brook get his due respect?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how anyone can say they don't respect him. It's not like he's ducking anyone.

Props to both of these guys for taking this fight. We need a lot more of this, and a lot less of people looking for any and every reason to hate on a fighter they don't particularly care for.

Comment

Both get a lot of respect for taking this fight.

Brook doesn't really get a lot of love because you look at the top 15 or so fighters at welterweight, Brook has only fought one of 'em. And that's not his fault really; too much money fighting in England to come to America, and no one really wants to risk going to England. But because of that, he hasn't really had any top shelf wins since winning the title.... but fans still want to see him in with Garcia, Broner, Khan, Thurman, Vargas, PEDerson, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
        This guy has been criticized for years for his lack of opposition and I don't blame y'all. But eventually we have to put things behind.

He was picked to lose vs Porter and came into foreign soil and pulled through.

After getting a hefty paycheck he could had easily quit vs GGG but instead he finished on his feet and it was his corner who stopped the fight.

He is now taking on Spence. He had no reason to really take this fight. He could had easily just taken a tune up and "whored" himself once again for a big fight or a pretty decent paycheck vs someone else but he didn't.

If he loses, will he just be called a bum who never left England or will he get his due respect?
        If he loses, he will have had a 13 year career, with a victory over shawn porter as his high point.

He did quit versus ggg, just not on his stool. if you watch that 5th round again, he started getting tagged, dropped his hands, and started running around the ring, looking over at his corner. his body language suggested a man that wanted to quit, and his corner obliged. he didn't protest afterwards, either.

he didn't have to take this fight, but tell me, whom else would he have fought, and got a 3 million dollar payday, which is second highest in his career, only to ggg? he didn't have many options.

win or lose, kell brook is kell brook. i'm not really concerned where people rate him, i won't argue with anyone. but enough heaping praise on the guy for being a professional fighter, and taking the biggest money fights available to him. other fighters get killed for having that mentality.

you either win a fight or lose (mostly). if kell wins, he gets a TON of credit from me. if he loses, he doesn't get any "extra credit."

Comment

two of the best in the division going at each other, i have no problem giving credit to whoever wins...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            I had aton of respect for him after the Porter win, but then he;
            -sat on that belt for 2 years.
            -cashed grabbed in the ridiculous Golovkin fight.
            -tried to get a fight with anyone but Spence.
            -finally did what he was SUPPOSED TO DO and fought Spence.

I'm not into giving credit for things a guy is supposed to do. If he loses, whatever. I'm not going to bash him for it. But, if he wins, he gets full credit. Spence is not entirely proven, but he's got such momentum that derailing that train should earn you respect.
            Exactly my thinking. Thanks for summing it up so well.

Comment

Originally posted by FLY TY View Post
              If he loses, he will have had a 13 year career, with a victory over shawn porter as his high point.

He did quit versus ggg, just not on his stool. if you watch that 5th round again, he started getting tagged, dropped his hands, and started running around the ring, looking over at his corner. his body language suggested a man that wanted to quit, and his corner obliged. he didn't protest afterwards, either.

he didn't have to take this fight, but tell me, whom else would he have fought, and got a 3 million dollar payday, which is second highest in his career, only to ggg? he didn't have many options.

win or lose, kell brook is kell brook. i'm not really concerned where people rate him, i won't argue with anyone. but enough heaping praise on the guy for being a professional fighter, and taking the biggest money fights available to him. other fighters get killed for having that mentality.

you either win a fight or lose (mostly). if kell wins, he gets a TON of credit from me. if he loses, he doesn't get any "extra credit."
              We found one!

Keyboard warriors are so easy to spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                I had aton of respect for him after the Porter win, but then he;
                -sat on that belt for 2 years.
                -cashed grabbed in the ridiculous Golovkin fight.
                -tried to get a fight with anyone but Spence.
                -finally did what he was SUPPOSED TO DO and fought Spence.

I'm not into giving credit for things a guy is supposed to do. If he loses, whatever. I'm not going to bash him for it. But, if he wins, he gets full credit. Spence is not entirely proven, but he's got such momentum that derailing that train should earn you respect.
                He tried to fight everyone but Spence? You're talking as if he was forced to fight Spence. Like I said in my op, he could had just fought anyone else.

Comment

We found one!

Keyboard warriors are so easy to spot.
                  keyboard warrior? takes one to know one.

i basically took foxx's post a step further. if he wins, he gets respect. if he loses, what extra respect does he deserve? he's a prize fighter, interested in taking the biggest money fights out here for him. those are facts. you can give him all the credit you want to.

ETA: he would've gladly given up that belt for an amir khan fight. why?
                  Last edited by FLY TY; 05-26-2017, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    i'm expecting brook to look dead because of the weight loss. he was a big welterweight to begin with, and FFS the guy just came down two weight classes. he looked completely dry at the weigh in. i'm actually expecting spence to get little credit if he does win. the guy looks super drawn.
                    We will find out about the weight and eye in the first 3 rounds a la Chad Dawson.

Comment

You reminded me of something else, Brook could had easily just missed the weight too but he obviously worked his ass off to make the weight.

And yes, both should get credit no doubt BUT my point is that this fight is more necessary for Spence (if he wants to establish himself) than it is for Brook. Brook can make some good money fighting anyone else other than Spence but he chose to go this route and take on Spence. Yet again, another fight they said he didn't want but he took it.
                      Yes this is true as well, UK is far more forgiving of losses than Americans which makes them the best fans in boxing. If Brook loses those same fans will come out for his next fight, I could see Kell Brook vs winner of Liam Williams vs Liam Smith II drawing well regardless of what happens tomorrow. For Spence if he loses sure the critics will attack with the "Overrated" "Hype Job" all that but he will be able to bounce back as well and work his way back for another chance

This is 1 Fight and this fight doesn't put NEITHER over Thurman, it is still so much unfinished business at 147 this fight is only the START of what is to coming potentially at 147. So I look forward to not just this fight but what happens after it as well because it does set the tone at 147!

Comment

Working...
                      X