No announcement yet.

Ring Ratings: Stevenson stripped

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
    Its wrong if Linage means anything to you. As another poster mentioned Stevenson has tried to make the fights and should not be 'stripped' but at this point thats OK because with this new policy its TRASH now.
    hmmm lets look at the top 5

braemer ok he's out because he refuses to fight anyone

stevenson-pascal stevenson said pascal wanted too much money

stevenson-hopkins stevenson said hopkins wanted too much moeny

stevenson-kovalev stevenson is mad that kovalev resigned with hbo and now they can only fight on hbo so he won't fight him

i see one common denominator here that is preventing fights and its stevenson. maybe he thinks his opponents are being unreasonable and maybe he's even right but ggg overpays his opponents just to get them in the ring. stevenson won't even budge a little and is fine taking on no hopers for big money. that's all he cares about and he can keep doing that but he just can't keep the ring belt.

Comment

Its wrong if Linage means anything to you. As another poster mentioned Stevenson has tried to make the fights and should not be 'stripped' but at this point thats OK because with this new policy its TRASH now.
      Imagine if Baldomir went back to Argentina and fought a bum a year, is that champ worthy? It's good to have some requirements for keeping that lineal belt. Whether Stevenson met those is another question

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
        the entire point of a lineal title is that there are no policies. it's simply the man who beat the man.

if you're a fan of mandatories, there are plenty of sanctioning bodies that will suit you nicely.

stripping stevenson is ridiculous. kovalev was his mandatory. he agreed to face kovalev and a purse bid was ordered.

KOVALEV REFUSED TO FIGHT HIM.

you can try to spin things however you want, but ring magazine takes a huge credibility hit here, ESPECIALLY with HBO PPV fighter rigondeaux keeping his title despite stevenson facing a top 5 "ring contender" far more recently than rigondeaux.

glad to see ring magazine has decided to become a politically corrupt biased organization just like their big brothers the WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO . . .
        low information fanatics what can you do? they just don't care about context. the fight can be made right now so how is that refusing to fight him? please tell me. all stevenson has to do is accept the fight. he's not doing that now is he?

Comment

Don't know what I feel about this... You're not a governing body... What do you mean "strip"?! Granted stevenson is a disgrace but idk about this man

Comment

There is a HUGE hole in your logic and you're parroting the emotionally intense, but logically flawed position perpetuated by Kovalev's team.

Sanctioning body rules explicitly state that "exclusive" contracts are NOT recognized and are no excuse for not accepting a fight.

Kovalev VOLUNTARILY signed a contract that only allows him to fight on HBO. Nobody had a gun to his head. Nobody forced him to do it. Stevenson was willing to fight him on whatever network bought the fight from whatever promoter paid the most for the fight. That is how a purse bid works. Kovalev is the one that requested the purse bid. Stevenson accepted and than Kovalev pulled out. Stevenson did everything in his power to make the fight and Kovalev ducked.

You can't hide behind a television contract and then claim the OTHER guy is ducking you. That's ridiculous.

And Stevenson would be fighting on HBO right now if HBO had matched Showtime's offer. HBO had the right of first refusal and was unwilling to pay Stevenson his fair market value.

And now Kovalev expects Stevenson to face him for less than fair market value? Get out of here with that nonsense. Duva may be able to fool a rube like you, but anybody that understands this business realizes what an obvious con that is.
            if stevenson was doing everything in his power he would take the fight right now. i guess he has no power because he's not accepting it.

yes because its still his best option. you would turn down a job that makes you the most money because you are mad that you didn't get more in a deal that never happened? really now? what kind of business sense is that? i'm mad that i didn't get what i wanted therefore i refuse to make the most money from here on out!

market value lol. fanatics takling about fantasy markets that don't exist just like i talked about in my original post and sure enough here they come. they keep talking about what could have been instead of what can be. great business people always do that right?
            Last edited by daggum; 11-24-2015, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Hero Bando -

Stevenson did NOT pass on Hopkins. Hopkins was a Showtime fighter and Stevenson signed with Showtime specifically to fight Hopkins! Then Hopkins left Showtime to avoid him and went to HBO.

Stevenson agreed to a purse bid with Kovalev and Kovalev backed out. Stop falling for the propaganda HBO narrative. The facts are all easily verifiable.

Retro Speed -

You are free to value or recognize whatever you wish. I personally think all of the weight classes other than heavyweight are silly because the 100th best heavyweight in the world would still beat all of these guys we are discussing. I'm not a fan of the WNBA or the little league world series. I like to watch the best.

But lineal champion means what it means and you can't change it to suit your needs. If that means you don't think being lineal champion is important, that's fine with me. Nobody is telling you what you should think is important.

Boxing existed for decades without any sanctioning bodies or mandatories. You fought who the public wanted to see you fight because that is what was going to make you the most money.

The only thing stopping Stevenson from fighting Kovalev is the fact that Kovalev backed out of the purse bid.

Daggum -

Stevenson recently tried to fight Kovalev and Kovalev backed out of the purse bid. Stop letting the HBO propaganda suck you into an emotional vortex. The facts are very clear.

The common denominator preventing fights is HBO. HBO had right of first refusal on Stevenson and didn't match Showtime's offer.

Low information fanatic? I'm not even a fan, let alone a fanatic. I've made my full time living in the combat sports industry for the last 17 years and have zero allegiance to any fighter.

You say all Stevenson has to do is accept the fight... but he DID accept the fight. Kovalev demanded a purse bid and Stevenson said YES. Then Kovalev backed out.

This is all very simple stuff man. But most boxing fans are very emotional and therefore highly susceptible to HBO's emotionally based arguments.

All I care about is facts. The facts don't support your premise.

Stevenson did do everything in his power, he accepted the purse bid Kovalev demanded. It's funny the alternate reality that some of you live in.

Stevenson didn't turn down a job that makes him the most money, he accepted the job that makes him the most money. Showtime offered more for his services than HBO did, so he accepted. HBO had the right to match Showtime's offer and they declined.

A purse bid is not a fantasy market. A purse bid is the precise way that you determine market value by um, actually letting the market determine the value!

If you want to talk about "great business people," I'd love to know what YOUR business qualifications are. If you're such a great business mind, please explain to us your business accomplishments.

I own several businesses, including an international newspaper, a gym, real estate, a production company, etc. I'm very diversified and have been very fortunate to find success in a variety of industries. But since you're dishing out the business lessons, please let us know what you do for a living so we know the qualifications of our professor.
              if you see a 20 dollar bill on the ground and you try to pick it up but it blows away and then later you see a 10 dollar bill on the ground you wouldn't pick it up because you could have had a 20? how are you a great businessman if you let that happen? that's what stevenson is letting happen. he's thinking about what could have been. that opportunity is gone. the opportunity that actually exists is still great. he should swallow his pride and make a business decision . the only reason he isn't taking the fight is because of emotional pride.

Comment

stevenson fanatics and great businessmen still talking about opportunities that no longer exist and saying i live in an alternate reality. oh the irony.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
                  Imagine if Baldomir went back to Argentina and fought a bum a year, is that champ worthy? It's good to have some requirements for keeping that lineal belt. Whether Stevenson met those is another question
                  I understand what you and daggum are saying -- my whole problem is that that which made the Ring title significant is being abolished ; we should respect and preserve legacy -- only men determine whos the champ not sanctioning bodies , its done in the ring not in a board meeting.

Comment

I understand what you and daggum are saying -- my whole problem is that that which made the Ring title significant is being abolished ; we should respect and preserve legacy -- only men determine whos the champ not sanctioning bodies ,its done in the ring not in a board meeting.
                    only one man....al haymon

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                      only one man....al haymon
                      lol coming to HBO real soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X