No announcement yet.

Power punchers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power punchers

Might be a bit of a silly question but can you tell if someone is a heavy hitter from taking them on the mitts?

I know the best way to find out is by actually getting in the ring and fighting but just curious if you were to take someone like GGG or a Randall Bailey etc on the mitts would you be able to tell they had deadly power if you never knew anything about them?

Thanks.

Of course you can feels someones power thru the mitts as long as you hold the mitts close to your body

Comment

Yeah you feel the difference in power if you have held mitts for lots of fighters. Your bound to come across some fighters that can just straight crack

Comment

ppl say i have a lot of power... but it's kinda pointless when i can't land them cleanly in actual spars ...

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
          ppl say i have a lot of power... but it's kinda pointless when i can't land them cleanly in actual spars ...
          You gotta not focus on loading up and just aim for clean, fast and accurate technique. If you have the power it will be there if you employ good technique and turn over on your punches.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
            You gotta not focus on loading up and just aim for clean, fast and accurate technique. If you have the power it will be there if you employ good technique and turn over on your punches.
            thanks for the advice!
            and yep! been trying to land clean/with proper form. i feel like power is overrated..

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
              thanks for the advice!
              and yep! been trying to land clean/with proper form. i feel like power is overrated..
              It is in many aspects, it's not something a beginner should be focussing on too much at all, technique isfirst and foremost. Great results can be obtained from punching with sound technique and timing at beginner level.

That said though, power is the most useful attribute imo, even more so than speed at the end of the day because the puncher is always, always in the fight.

Just today at the elite level we saw the difference power makes between two good boxers, in geale v golovkin. As soon as geale tasted the power his gameplan was faltering and he lost his confidence. Then they almost simultaneously connected and the bigger puncher came away with the knockdown and the win.

Comment

Originally posted by One more round View Post
                It is in many aspects, it's not something a beginner should be focussing on too much at all, technique isfirst and foremost. Great results can be obtained from punching with sound technique and timing at beginner level.

That said though, power is the most useful attribute imo, even more so than speed at the end of the day because the puncher is always, always in the fight.

Just today at the elite level we saw the difference power makes between two good boxers, in geale v golovkin. As soon as geale tasted the power his gameplan was faltering and he lost his confidence. Then they almost simultaneously connected and the bigger puncher came away with the knockdown and the win.
                i completely agree with you

Comment

Working...
                X