Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: biggest factor for boxing's decline in US. PPV to blame the most?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: biggest factor for boxing's decline in US. PPV to blame the most?

First off, let's be honest here. Other then the PPV numbers which rightfully should go up with inflation of internet media marketing and hype, everything else about boxing in the United States is in decline as compare to even the 90's.

The primary reasons people listed are these:

1-The Heavyweight Division is dead in the US. As the HW goes, so do boxing.

2- Lack of superstars overall : just 2 atm. Floyd and Manny

3-lack of big mega matches because of evil promoters like arum.

4- Boxing is no longer on free network tv. PPV killed boxing.

All 4 are big factors, but which one do you think is the BIGGEST contribution to boxing's decline..
    Boxing is no longer on free network TV (PPV killing it)
    50.00%
    The HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION is dead
    16.67%
    Lack of superstar personalities and talent overall. Just 2.. in floyd and pac
    0.00%
    Lack of MEGA FIGHTS. Due to bad promoters like arum
    33.33%
    Last edited by TheHayeMaker; 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM.

personally I think PPV is to blame the most.

SAY boxing in the United States was on ABC or even ESPN. The numbers will inflate pretty dramatically, making it a premier sport again.

Honestly if it was on ESPN? I think even Hopkins vs Dawson 2 (with the mitchell undercard) might do 10 million views.

Comment

Bad promoters like Arum?

I dislike him but he does many things for the sport. Some good and some unpopular. Boxing fans hurt the sport much more than Arum. If a network doesn't want to buy his fight he spends his own money to promote those boxers. On the other hand most of us on here don't want to pay for shit, even when we have the money to pay for it.

Another thing, HW division isn't dead. It's just not being dominated by the American or Brits. Two countries with strong HW boxing traditions are getting their asses kicked by two greats from elsewhere and people cant' stomach that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayeMaker View Post
        I think even Hopkins vs Dawson 2 (with the mitchell undercard) might do 10 million views.
        You kidding, right? And PPV is proving that boxing is fine and will be fine for generations to come.

Comment

It's the lack of it being on network TV and not having enough sponsors, IMO.

It's not like the biggest fights were free before PPV. They had closed circuit, which is inferior to PPV in my experience.

But you still had good, meaningful fights on network TV, and fighters were more visible to the general public.

And now it's like almost anything gets put on PPV.

Comment

PPV. It's not even a debate.

Comment

Originally posted by nysoxfan84 View Post
              You kidding, right? And PPV is proving that boxing is fine and will be fine for generations to come.
              You don't know **** about boxing.

Boxing is not fine. I think unless you are a total moron and delusional you will admit boxing is at the lowest state ever in the US.

The Floyd Cotto fight was talked about by mainstream media in the US and UK for a total of 24 hours.

That's it. Mabye 2-3 days of promotion. I watch USA ESPN every night. I didn't see **** until the day of the fight in terms of coverage.

Lewis Tyson was being promoted by mainstream media 4 weeks beforehand and that was only in 2002

ALI FRAZIER was watched by 70 million people and stopped traffic along with everything else .

So no boxing is not 'fine' just because money team making dat BLAT BLAT BLAT BLING BLING

ok .

Also you do realize 10 million views is nothing right?

I think PPV numbers got your head ****ed up.

10 million is NHL PLAYOFF NUMBERS

and NHL PLAYOFFS IS ****ING PATHETIC
              in terms of media coverage and ratings.

If you put hopkins dawson on ABC?

You think they can't do 10 million? On a ABC Sunday ? lol

they'll do 10 milion views.

Comment

Floyd Cotto did 1.6 PPV MILLION BUYS. great that's a lot of money for Floyd and da money team..

If Floyd vs Cotto was on ABC. Sunday night

It would have probably equal NFL Playoff Numbers in the United States. making boxing mainstream instantly.

Follow that up on ABC with Pacquaio Bradley.

So people who think PPV actaully help boxing is stupid as **** and don't know ****. PPV don't help. PPV kills

the only thing PPV helps is the money team, you think Floyd give a **** about boxing and mainstream? He don't and he shouldn't. So of course he LOVES PPV. But the truth is in terms of exposure. boxing on PPV is the worst thing ever

Comment

Boxing is about to be on the major rise thanks to David Haye.

Comment

Boxing dying in the US is the result of them having no great heavyweight.

If/when they get another good/great heavyweight pounder you will see how it miraculously revived in the US
                    Last edited by ELHURACAN58; 05-12-2012, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X