No announcement yet.

Foreman's Fighting Style

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
    Why do people continue to insist foreman didnt have any boxing skills?If he couldnt box and was so slow wouldnt he have more than 4 loses in his career?Two in his prime and two when he came back..(He was Robbed against Briggs).Foreman boxed he had a really really quick jab probably one of the best in boxing history.his right had was great his hook was great his uppercut was vicious he was quick on his feet,,,just ask Ali why did the rope a dope.He said it was because Foreman was to quick to outbox.Foreman fought stupid against Ali and now he is labeled as some stupid boxer who just loaded up with every punch based on just that fight.
    Anyway Foremans style was weird.And do you remember how he used to push away his opponents when they got close?I never seen any other fighter try to do that either.But that is just George for you i guess.

Have to disagree with this one - Foreman didn't have boxing skills - he won through his incredible raw power, size and athleticism. To me, he's like the Ben Wallace of boxing - pure athleticism with little skill. This is not only based on the fight against Ali - I've seen several of his fights and it's always the same ugly, winging style. The only thing is - if he catches you with one, you're dead. He certainly wasn't efficient and he could easily be hit. Fortunately, he could dish out way more than anyone else.

Comment

You still dont get it kid.If he didnt have skill he would of been easy to out box.Norton would of outboxed him.Norton fought Ali first so if Foreman was so bad it would of been real easy for Norton since Ali was a better boxer and faster than Foreman right?Just as buff mike said Foreman came back to win the title at 45 and fought until he was 48 beating Briggs and Tyson cant even beat Danny Williams or McBride so Foreman must of been a better boxer than Tyson.Even Joe Louis was done in his late 30s losing to Walcott and Charles neight are as good as Moorer,Morisson,Holyfield,Steward,Cooney,Saverase or Briggs and Foreman fought all of them when he was past 40,
      Foremans defense was no worse than Ali's defense infact in Foremans 47 fights in his prime he was hit alot less than Ali did in his first 47 fights.Foreman took less punishment than any fighter did in boxing history in his prime.does that mean his defense was great?Not really but it wasnt as awful as you claimed.But nothing i say to you will change what you believe.
      You will probably still think a 180 pound man like Marciano could compete with the true modern heavyweights. when in reality he isnt even a top 100 heavyweight because he isnt a heavyweight but a cruiser or light heavyweight.You will still believe tyson was special when in reality he only looked good fighting complete bums.You will still believe Ali was this dancing master who couldnt be hit when he was always hit and stunned not just went he came back and fought better opponents.so what can i say to you,

Comment

"You will probably still think a 180 pound man like Marciano could compete with the true modern heavyweights. when in reality he isnt even a top 100 heavyweight"

Wow this may be the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum. Believe me, that's saying a lot.

Comment

lol kid the dumbest thing is how a little white boy like you can't grasp marciano isnt a heavyweight but a cruiserweight or a light heavyweight.bum is thinking just because maricano is white he is better than all of the black men who tried to move up to heavyweight and besides holyfield they all failed.dumb is thinking a little italian guy who had trouble with 155 pound guys like archie moore who started his career at middleweight and fought there for 7 years could even go 1 round with somebody like lennox lewis or a david tua.guys who actually are heavyweights and not 180 pound boys who get attention only because of their skin color.marciano isnt even great for being 180 pounds .roy jones would of killed him..you say roy has a glass chin?moore and charles have been down far more and knocked out far more than the 2 times roy has and both moore and charles wern't nearly as fast as roy jones.jones would of ripped little boy maricano apart.so would people like bob foster,micheal spinks,micheal moorer knocked out every person he faces at 175 pounds but did he keep knocking out 220 plus pound men?nope but hey moorer is black and marciano is white so you know marciano is better huh?should i go one with who could destroy marciano?toney,foreman bowe both klitcko's cory sanders,lewis,ali,frazier,norton,ron lyle,jerry quarry,gerry cooney,larry holmes,mike tyson,shavers,david tua,ike ibeabuchi,sam peters,tommy morisson,golata,brewster,david izon,shannon briggs.lol you get my point but wait marciano is white and you read in a book that size isnt important just skin color right?size isnt important but yet their are alot of different weight classes saying size is important.no 180 pound man period could compete with 220 pound plus guys or one would of.so if you want to live in this little world where what you want to believe is true then great for you.but i dont make post so ******s like you can respond too.i just make post so white black or green people who know their boxing and not racially biased or just biased because they want to believe soemthing can act like i care what they type

Comment

par·a·graph (păr'ə-grăf'):

A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

Comment

lol is this school?or is this a computer boxing forum where i type words and ******ed idiot little white boys like you reply to them?when a 180 pound little white boy is champ again in the heavyweight division then get back with me.but that will be never so bye bye

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
                lol kid the dumbest thing is how a little white boy like you can't grasp marciano isnt a heavyweight but a cruiserweight or a light heavyweight.bum is thinking just because maricano is white he is better than all of the black men who tried to move up to heavyweight and besides holyfield they all failed.dumb is thinking a little italian guy who had trouble with 155 pound guys like archie moore who started his career at middleweight and fought there for 7 years could even go 1 round with somebody like lennox lewis or a david tua.guys who actually are heavyweights and not 180 pound boys who get attention only because of their skin color.marciano isnt even great for being 180 pounds .roy jones would of killed him..you say roy has a glass chin?moore and charles have been down far more and knocked out far more than the 2 times roy has and both moore and charles wern't nearly as fast as roy jones.jones would of ripped little boy maricano apart.so would people like bob foster,micheal spinks,micheal moorer knocked out every person he faces at 175 pounds but did he keep knocking out 220 plus pound men?nope but hey moorer is black and marciano is white so you know marciano is better huh?should i go one with who could destroy marciano?toney,foreman bowe both klitcko's cory sanders,lewis,ali,frazier,norton,ron lyle,jerry quarry,gerry cooney,larry holmes,mike tyson,shavers,david tua,ike ibeabuchi,sam peters,tommy morisson,golata,brewster,david izon,shannon briggs.lol you get my point but wait marciano is white and you read in a book that size isnt important just skin color right?size isnt important but yet their are alot of different weight classes saying size is important.no 180 pound man period could compete with 220 pound plus guys or one would of.so if you want to live in this little world where what you want to believe is true then great for you.but i dont make post so ******s like you can respond too.i just make post so white black or green people who know their boxing and not racially biased or just biased because they want to believe soemthing can act like i care what they type
                your the dubest guy ive meet this month.

are you saying i can like marciano because he is white like me.

i have 2 white guys in my top ten and im a racist

and oooooh and maciano fought several big men.

Comment

back to topic.

allthough george`s boxing look ugly he has skills, its just hard to see cause its so ugly and weird kinda like VK.

like he was very good at cutting the ring and going to the body.

Comment

Yes Foreman did have some skills and there were certain aspects of the sport that he was very good at, besides the obvious one of punching power, but you can say that about a lot of so called unskilled guys.

Rocky Marciano was actually a cagey guy who would feint, go into a crouch, and displayed good head movement by the end of his career. Prime Ali said he was very very impressed with how hard it was to land his jab on a forty-something Marciano when they sparred.

George Chuvalo was in reality an adept inside fighter and bodypuncher. He was not the walking punching bag he was remembered at.

Ingemar Johansson was a decent defensive fighter though he'll only be remembered for that huge right hand.

So Foreman was good at cutting off the ring, as well as using his forearms as a defense, and using his strength effectively to push opponents who might smother his punches away, but when you compare him to Ezzard Charles, Gene Tunney, Joe Walcott, Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, or the other stylists who wore the heavyweight crown, Foreman was extremely limited.

Yes he had some skills but in the grand scheme of things he didn't have much versatility as a fighter. He came in and did his damnest to get to you and knock you out early. Simplest fight plan of any heavyweight bar none. Even Jim Jeffries knew to pace himself and was harder to hit in his crouch than Foreman was standing straight up.

So people can try to dress Foreman up as a skilled fighter with more depth to him than meets the eye but in reality he was a brute slugger with a few tricks up his sleeve. He was no magician.

Comment

George was not fancy, he did what worked because he didn't need to do more to win. He had to have skills to win a gold medal. A was lot more skilled than Marciano.

The open glove style is used to parry over a punch, mainly a weak and slow jab, and allow you to throw right hand over that punch.

It also jams an opponents punch, mess up their timing and distance. Open glove requires opponent to find the right distance, timing, and way around the open hand.
                      When you slip the boxer gets the right distance but not the timing or angle. So this open hand style helps you stay a safe distance away from an opponent. That is why foreman hardly got hurt in his first carrer. It requires more energy than using a slip though.... This also fools the opponent in thinking he is at a safe distance but isn't, especially if you already got a longer reach...

Because you jam the opponents punch, it slows the fluid motion of a punch, and slow them down. When you slip, the punch goes past the target and you need to pull the punch back fast. you keep the same flow and momentum. With the jam it kinda keeps the hand there because all the energy is going into an impact and back into your body into the legs. George was powerful enough he could use because it also required you to negate the power of the punch with an open hand block instead of using a slip. Takes more energy and power.

Trust me, you teach that to 100 decent amateurs and they all look stupid doing it except maybe one or two guys let alone master it.

The second style later on was the cross arm. Not fancy but helps protect the head but gives up the body (foreman had a lot of body 2nd time around). Requires less energy but a good defense when you are slow and old and can't move and wanna protect that head.
                      Last edited by ricecrispi; 06-17-2005, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X