No announcement yet.

any right handed southpaws on here??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
    Don't clinch your left when you try it for a few times(100). So you can get the whip feeling down, then start to clinch your fist right before it full extends. Do that after you get the whip feeling down, and do that for a few times. Then it becomes natural and you'll always throw it like that.

Then again, I am ambidextrous so it's different for me but I prefer to use my right hand.

I switch hit btw. Two, almost totally different styles for both stances.
    Thanks will give that a try, it's worth giving it a go as I enjoy southpaw. If in a few months it isn't working in the ring then I guess I'll go to boring orthodox :P

Comment

I think it is good!

Comment

Originally posted by richwasson4 View Post
        I think it is good!
        Elaborate pls

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          having a funny cross is the price the majority of people pay when they decide to be a convert.
          If they're uncoordinated and weak with it they shouldn't convert.

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          I was a right handed southpaw for ages......from a family of right handed southpaws going back to the time of Jack Dempsey!

I do try and train both stances equally now though because my straight right from the orthodox stance is stronger than any of my right lead punches from the southpaw stance!!

As for the straight left, a half decent opponent will figure out fairly quickly that it isn't your strongest punch and exploit that by circling to your left and looking for openings for their right hand (hook or straight). This in turn would mean that your right hook would have further to travel for contact.

I also noticed that it was easy for my left to drop below chin level. I'd honestly consider adjusting to orthodox or seriously improving your left hand.

Strangely I found myself using my left hand more as a left hook than as a straight, the punch seemed far stronger than my straight left. Check out Calzaghe vs Eubank round one (the knockdown punch) to see how to throw this punch well from the southpaw stance.
          Nunn vs Kalambay KO

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
          Same here...

But going off the title I'll assume either

A) your left hand is worthless so you're compensating by putting your dominant hand foreward (i did that for a long time)
          B) its just more natural to you, and you enjoy how uncormfotable it makes orthadox fighters.

If you're going to be a right handed southpaw, you have to make a committment to work on that left hand... remember that rear hand is supposed to be your power hand.
          You'll have to spend WAY more time working on it than if you stood in a conventional manner.

So if you're choosing soutpaw because your left is weak and awkward and its frustrating to try to get better with it, so you're using your stance as a shortcut, then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Noticed you have Bruce Lee in your avatar, i believe he preferred the soutpaw stance... was that an influence?
          +1

Originally posted by Alx. View Post
          i'm sorry i didn't read the text i was staring at your sig
          My God, my God, this!! Name please. Must know.
          Last edited by Mikhnienko; 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Being a right-handed southpaw is for lazy people who have a fixation for being southpaw.
            If your leadhand was so weak ... you turn southpaw to fix it?
            That is a lazy mindset.
            No! you keep working your lead hand, develop it.

Ofc it's not going to be good in the beginning but just giving up on it is foolish.

Turning southpaw because your lefthand was weak????+
            It's a horrible-horrible idea....

You will never ever develop your left-hand....

One of the best punches in your arsenal will be extremely weak and slow(the cross).

you'll be a one handed fighter who won't be able to effectively set-up your best punches...

You will be extremely easily figured out, a sitting duck for the right hand.

You know how it's near impossible for a lefthanded orthodox to fight southpaw..
            haha well, you are doing the same thing except converted lefties don't often fight southpaws.

You will be meeting orthodox fighters all the time.

Right now you might have a slight advantage since meeting southpaws is very unnerving..
            But this advantage will quickly vanish.

You should switch stands bro before it's to late

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
              Don't clinch your left when you try it for a few times(100). So you can get the whip feeling down, then start to clinch your fist right before it full extends. Do that after you get the whip feeling down, and do that for a few times. Then it becomes natural and you'll always throw it like that.

Then again, I am ambidextrous so it's different for me but I prefer to use my right hand.

I switch hit btw. Two, almost totally different styles for both stances.
              You prefer your right hand than you are a righty !?!?!?!?!?!
              Just because you can punch with your lefthand doesn't make you ambidextrous my friend.

i'm as right-handed as can be yet my left hook is my favorite punch and I have a good jab.

It's all about developing you left hand Dempsey.
              If you stand orthodox your left hand will develop very fast and you'll be using your weaker hand more than your strong hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
                If they're uncoordinated and weak with it they shouldn't convert.

Nunn vs Kalambay KO

+1

My God, my God, this!! Name please. Must know.

Good work on the Nunn fight!

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
                  did you cause many knockdowns or knockouts with your right hook? I found the southpaw right hook to be the most awkward punch in boxing. the problem though is that the majority of southpaws are left hand happy.

The southpaw right hook from my southpaw stance feels my heaviest punch on the heavy bag, barring the straight right from my orthodox stance. But your quite right, I've never knocked anyone out with it. Its a tough punch to place against an orthodox fighter.....especially one with a high left guard. Pacquiou used it beautifully against Ricky Hatton.

I think I'd have had much more success with it against a southpaw......but I've only ever met one switch hitter in the gym, strangely I've never sparred a dedicated southpaw and I've been messing about with martial arts and this boxing lark since the early 90s!

Comment

im a left handed orthadox i write with my left hand but i throw stones and stuff with my right hand its real wierd >.<

Comment

Originally posted by J.Dempsey View Post
                      Thanks will give that a try, it's worth giving it a go as I enjoy southpaw. If in a few months it isn't working in the ring then I guess I'll go to boring orthodox :P
                      So having 2 hands is boring?
                      So being able to throw hard shots is boring?
                      So being able to throw combos easier is boring?

Nah man, it's just you who are to lazy to work on your lefthand.
                      When it start to get better, you'll be able to put together better combo's, set your punches up better etc etc.

I don't get this fixating of being southpaw/lefty some people have...
                      Sorry to tell you bro, you aren't a lefty...
                      that is why you shouldn't stand southpaw, it is made for lefties(obviously).

Do a right handed archer stand southpaw?
                      Do you throw a ball with your right foot forward?
                      Do you swing a bat with your right foot forward?

There is a reason why righties stand orthdox..
                      A very simple reason.
                      So are you telling me that a 1000 year old boxing tradition is wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X