No announcement yet.

Revisiting (arguably) the Worst Robbery of all Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revisiting (arguably) the Worst Robbery of all Time

finding this fight footage was harder than a bigfoot search. wouldn't be surprised if Top Rank went on a crusade to erase all evidence.

I'm talking about Brandon Rios vs Richar Abril. (April 14, 2012)

Rios: 29-0-1 (22KO) 25 years old.

Abril: 17-2-1 (8KO) 29 years old.

background (Boxrec):
    Rios entered as the #1 lightweight challenger in the world according to The Ring Magazine. Abril, a 5/1 betting underdog, was ranked #9 by the same publication. read more here. http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Br...._Richar_Abril

with Juan Manuel Marquez as the main event they were building a super fight between Marquez and Rios.

surprisingly the only judge to score it correctly was Adalaide Byrd. and this is hands down a more criminal outcome than all the fuss about GGG vs Canelo.

afterwards Keith Kizer justified it saying that watching the fight live was different than TV. and Kevin Lole said the same thing in a blog after the bout.

well if scoring on TV means the right guy wins then why not lock the judges in a booth somewhere in the building with monitors showing the fight with no commentary and only crowd noise. (this idea comes from the comment section on a BLH article.) read here. https://www.badlefthook.com/2012/4/1...-kizer-scoring

I only gave one round to Rios. he was thoroughly washed and dominated. the WBA later announced Abril would keep his interim title (guilty conscience?). but the result remained the same.

there was a $50,000 winner's bonus too.

Abril's other losses to Prescott and Lundy were also sketchy. this guy is arguably undefeated. what happened to him vs Rios was beyond criminal and its the worst robbery I've ever seen. maybe even the worst all time.

heres the fight. http://fight.mmashare.club/viewtopic.php?t=54632 (Its broken down into five videos.)

The decision stunk pretty bad, although I don't think Rios was "schooled" like many say he was. He was weight drained because he stupidly thought that he was still able to make 135 pounds and looked like crap.

Comment

I was the biggest Rios fan around at the time, and I didn't give Brandon a single round.

Abril absolutely shut him out.

Comment

yup byrd was the only judge to get it right lol, now everyone hates her. Shes a solid judge

Comment

I think I scored it around 9-3 to Abril. Blatant robbery.
          Is Abril retired? He last fought in 2016 I think

Comment

Yeah that was bad scoring. Rios got schooled big time in that fight

Comment

It was a robbery but no worse than Pacquiao got robbed in his first fight with Bradley and his fight with Horn.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                It was a robbery but no worse than Pacquiao got robbed in his first fight with Bradley and his fight with Horn.
                Horn was not a robbery, I think it's ridiculous when people think this. You can see the people who are influenced by commentary.

Comment

Working...
                X