Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jab-only sparring (videos), please critique!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
    You just need to make your jab stronger. It's should always extend all the way and be stiff as a lead pipe. I noticed you're just slapping it out there hoping to land (sorry if rude).
    Thanks, I'll work on it!

Originally posted by McNulty View Post
    Never spar with just jabs, it's not good for you mentally.
    Why?

Thanks for all the advice!
    As for crossing the legs, I noticed that too. It's one of those things I know but forget when sparring

Comment

I like your jab to the body, I don't think your partner expected it.

Comment

Try to slip his jab and not block it with your face

Comment

Originally posted by oldcanvasback View Post
          I like your jab to the body, I don't think your partner expected it.
          One of the most underrated punches in the sport, the jab to the body.

Comment

Great drill.

-You can develop your Jab Defense particularly catching the Jab
            - Develop a understanding of positioning for example when doing a drill like this it's important to jab and catch the jab. It's equally important to go backwards on defense and coming forward on defense. An the same on offense. The most natural thing to do would be to style and have fun during this drill. However putting yourself in good positions like learning how to walking an offensive opponent down or initiated a clinch, this all starts with the jab and jab defense. So yeah...positioning.
            -Throw different types of jabs at different speeds and different powers.
            -Develop your eyes. As a general rule if you can defend vs the jab you can see most everything else. There is an old myth that a shorter fighter has to bum rush a taller fighter. Not true. Watch George Benton vs Johnny Smith. Benton defended the jab, jabbed as well, read, and finished his opponent.

My point is that it's a great drill. You guys did great with it and keep up the good work
            -

Comment

You're obviously a newbie, having said that I must add great ****in' job. I watched you touch him in his belly and then follow up with some upstairs. I saw you feint, you did nothing with it, but atleast somebodies whisperin' good things to you. In time you will not let a guy just walk in with out doing something about it. And in time your eyes will get sharp and you will grow a ton. Nice work........Rockin'

Comment

I like Rockin's words of encouragement, and echo them

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  One of the most underrated punches in the sport, the jab to the body.
                  Yup, one of the easiest points to score in amateur boxing.........Rockin'

Comment

I have to say this to the kid in the white headgear. Yeah, I called you a newbie but I just can't get it out of my mind. The way that you slipped his jabs, 2 times right in a row type thing. That was sharp! .....Rockin'

Comment

The jabs looked a little slow and pushed, not very snappy. Try to imagine the jab exploding out like a cannon. Also make sure you get your hand back to guard your face. While I get that its a jab only spar you don't want to develop bad habits. Leaving your jab out there on the way back will get you smashed by a hook. A couple of the slips looked good. You do look a bit flat footed and your footwork could be a little better. You were a little too much on the backfoot it looked like.

Also you generally odn't want to circle the same direction the whole time in a fight.

Second round looked a little better I thought. Are you tense in your hands/shoulders/arms?

Comment

Working...
                      X