No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin vs David Lemiuex Does Roughly 150,000 PPV Buys

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
    If these numbers hold true then Bumlovkin can just forget about a Cotto or Canelo fight.

I bet that Andre Ward fight is looking very tempting to K2 right about now. Ward vs "B" Side Bumlovkin coming Spring 2016.

Lol..
    are you serious? They're for sure gonna go after Tureano, Lee or maybe heiland. They want no part of Ward

Comment

I don't know that PPV is a totally dying model but there is a clear way to do it right which I don't think they really did.

The fight quite simply needed to marinate, mainly on the Lemieux end. Lemieux was a fairly obscure guy even with his title. That title fight was on like FS2 when those stations were brand new, I remember the fight thread because I was watching the fight and there were maybe 10 dudes in that thread for what was a quality fight. More people were watching the garbage Ward fight simply because more people had access to BET.

He needed more exposure to really be a PPV B-side, a couple decent looking wins on HBO along with some talk of the fight building over time would have done wonders. If they were serious about maximizing PPV numbers anyway

Comment

Plain and simple. You dont have a PPV debut against somebody that nobody cares to see you fight.

If this was vs ward it would have did 250-300.

Comment

Originally posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
          If these numbers hold true then Bumlovkin can just forget about a Cotto or Canelo fight.

I bet that Andre Ward fight is looking very tempting to K2 right about now. Ward vs "B" Side Bumlovkin coming Spring 2016.

Lol..
          Even if golovkin sold only 1 ppv,that's still 1 more than ward has ever sold. Stay salty.

Comment

Lmao at all.the excuses tho.

Comment

It makes me happy. If it would have been big, every fight after this with him in it would have been PPV. Reality is a good thing. The sport will only get more sliced and diced with pay per views. Sick of them.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                I don't know that PPV is a totally dying model but there is a clear way to do it right which I don't think they really did.

The fight quite simply needed to marinate, mainly on the Lemieux end. Lemieux was a fairly obscure guy even with his title. That title fight was on like FS2 when those stations were brand new, I remember the fight thread because I was watching the fight and there were maybe 10 dudes in that thread for what was a quality fight. More people were watching the garbage Ward fight simply because more people had access to BET.

He needed more exposure to really be a PPV B-side, a couple decent looking wins on HBO along with some talk of the fight building over time would have done wonders. If they were serious about maximizing PPV numbers anyway
                It's a dying model not because PPV in itself is dying. It's a dying model because professional boxing has been dropping in terms of it's popularity. PPV numbers dropping reflects that.

Comment

Originally posted by -MEGA- View Post
                  Plain and simple. You dont have a PPV debut against somebody that nobody cares to see you fight.

If this was vs ward it would have did 250-300.
                  If it was against Ward, they would have had to pay people to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                    9 million would be 150,000 sales plus gate and sponsors...GGG made 2 million...Lemieux 1.5 million.. The main undercard was a couple hundred grand each guy I think...

They probably made out ok but hoped to make much more...
                    The PPV carrier keeps 50 percent (cable companies, etc.) ... so add that into your equation.

Also, does this number include Canadian PPV?

Comment

Originally posted by Luiz View Post

Rapidly declining market? I'm definitely rooting for PPV's demise, but boxing has broken its PPV revenue record three times during the last 8 years, twice during the last 2 years & I believe the UFC has 4 fighters (Weidman, Rousey, McGregor & Jones) who are pulling in 700k+ numbers lately which is great for them. Doesn't seem like its a rapidly declining market unless that just happened in the last 60 or so days.

If Canelo vs Cotto does 400k I think we can start talking about maybe Floyd vs Manny & Manny vs his subpar opponents pre-Floyd & Floyd vs subpar Berto post-Manny PPV's having a overall negative impact on PPV, but I think its just the formula of fights seen as lacking in competitiveness &/or hype not generating big numbers not the PPV going to ****.

Comment

Working...
                      X