Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Garcia beating Spence be the best win of the modern era?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but it be devalued somewhat because Spence would get completely trashed.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
      Yes but it be devalued somewhat because Spence would get completely trashed.
      That's very true. It goes back what what i said about Spence v Brook.

If Spence loses to Garcia, you will get people saying Spence was never that good anyway, never fought top fighters and only beat a Brook coming off a loss/surgery/dropping too much weight, which i actually think there's some truth to.

That's the thing, there's never any middle ground with boxing fans. You're either winning or a hype job.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
        Any other wins that could be considered above it if Mikey won?
        taking into account going up in weight that much to beat a fighter like Spence
        No canelo vs fielding is the greatest so far

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
          Well, that's the question altogether. Is Spence THAT established? - one could argue that all Spence has done is beat Brook that dropped down 2 weight divisions and coming off eye surgery and a beating off GGG.

But in terms of high profile fights, it's not often you get a fight with 2 supposed top quality operators that many have in the P4P top 10, and one of them jumps 2 divisions and on paper has all the odds stacked against them with few giving him a chance.

Maybe modern era is the wrong way to put it. I meant in the past 10-15 years kind of thing.
          Mikey has already fought twice at 140 and won a world title at 140 so he is really only going up one weight class. Mikey weighed 149 on fight night for Easter while Spence weighed 156 on fight night for his last fight as announced on both shows. Mikey is clearly a huge lightweight who at 31 years old is probably much more comfortable fighting at 140 and now 147. Mikey said he plans to gain muscle and to weight about 155 in the ring with Spence. I think if Mikey can beat Spence it might he the most impressive win of the last ten years. I think the chance of him beating Spence is so unlikely it's not worth worrying about.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            Duran beating Iran Barkley to me was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. He got hit flush by a huge Middleweight in his prime numerous times and took them. Barkley also showed some good boxing skills but Duran (37) put on a masterclass and dropped him. Duran was a beast.
            Barkley himself was a beast! So a past-prime Duran fighting way above his best weight, the way he fought Barkley, and that fabulous ending; that was a fight for the ages. Both men left it in the ring that night.

Very, very few boxers today have Duran's mix of supreme skills, ring savvy, and grit.

Comment

Originally posted by FinitoxDinamita View Post
              Marquez KO6 Pac for me..
              I got to agree with this... That KO will be remembered in the boxing history books forever.

Mikey beating Erroll would be a great victory but wouldnt be the best win in modern era...

Comment

szeremeta beating ggg would be the best win of the modern era just look at the odds!

Comment

Originally posted by Zaryu View Post
                  I think it would probably be the most significant upset in the welterweight division since Mosley steamrolled Margarito.
                  Vernon Forrest dominating Mosley was another...or mayorga stopping Forrest for that matter.

Comment

LOL get out if you think Ward beating Kovalev is better than Garcia beating Spence. I don't know where to begin to explain how silly that is.

Not only does Garcia become P4P#1 if he beats Spence, but he becomes P4P#1 through 10. He will be p4p by several country miles

Comment

if spence took out everyone in welter then I'd say sure, but spence's best win is still over a broken brook

i would say marquez over pacquiao in their 4th fight but it's too bad marquez had to be on the roids to do it

don't know about "best" but pacquiao over fishnets needs to be up there mainly because pacquiao was never supposed to win and he not only won, but pretty much destroyed him that he didn't even want to come off his stool. fishnets was the favorite and a lot of people said his jab alone would beat pacquiao. I don't buy the "weight drain" because pacquiao was coming from 135 and fishnets 154, are they not supposed to meet in the middle and was pacquiao supposed to go from 35 to 54? Folks also forget fishnets was preparing to go back to 47 since that's where the rematch with the woman beater *floyd was going to take place. Prior to the fight there were no talks of fishnets being over the hill weight drained etc, it was only after he got destroyed folks started to say that

Comment

Working...
                      X