Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for toughening myself for hard sparring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    Honestly man there will ALWAYS be some level of anxiety no matter what skillset or size of guy you fight or spar, thats one of the reasons why a fighter (boxer or MMA) have a lil bit of crazy in them lol BUT to be honest the best way to toughen yourself up is to do it. You get better at fighting by fighting, of course training will get you in there but you have to do it a lot in order to feel comfortable and get used to it. If you look at some of the most relaxed boxers in history for example James Toney, the guy fought all the time, its really all he did and he went up from MW to HW. He was a tough guy and very relaxed in the ring, size skill and experience never really bothered him win or lose, it was just another fight. Of course in sparring there is no real winner or loser except for gym bragging but like Addix said, except you are going to get hit and accept any can whoop you on any given day, but again that mentality will come the more you fight.
    Thanks for your reply mate, I appreciate everyone's advice here and I'm trying to use it. I did some sparring yesterday with my mate and I could barely touch him. Too quick for me, blocking all my punches and moving out of range and I couldn't touch him. Though he is heavier and taller and I couldn't figure out how to get on the inside of him, he'd go bang bang and I covered up, when I looked again he was back out of range. Very confusing lol, I've gone alright against people my own experience and similar build but against these bigger guys man, I struggle.

One person said I'm an outside fighter, the other said I was inside. Confusing

Comment

Also I'd like advice on something. When I get my arse beat in sparring or if I can't ever touch the other guys I get pretty down on myself and think I'm useless at the sport. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and how I can change those thoughts into something more positive? its been a natural reaction since I started and I know its not healthy to do but I get a bit disappointed. I think I expect to do well every time I spar and that certainly doesn't always happen lol.

Anyone got some advice on this?

Comment

Originally posted by LLTF View Post
        Also I'd like advice on something. When I get my arse beat in sparring or if I can't ever touch the other guys I get pretty down on myself and think I'm useless at the sport. Just wondering if anyone has dealt with this and how I can change those thoughts into something more positive? its been a natural reaction since I started and I know its not healthy to do but I get a bit disappointed. I think I expect to do well every time I spar and that certainly doesn't always happen lol.

Anyone got some advice on this?
        It is plenty normal. Most elite level fighters I have heard about used to get beat up in sparring at first. Don't get frustrated just relax and wait for your shot. Use the jab a lot if nothing else because that is the easiest punch to land.

Comment

Body hardening (in moderation built up bit by bit) is a good start. Toughening your abs with the medicine ball etc. But to be honest you'll get used to the tough sparring eventually you just have to suck it up unfortunately there's no quick fix. Your body will adapt

Comment

Thanks a lot for your advice boys, I appreciate it heaps. Going to spar with my mate again tomorrow and see if I can do a bit better this week, touch wood.

Comment

Working...
            X