No announcement yet.

Drive Belt Issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Drive Belt Issue

My work vehicle, 99 Altima, the brake and battery lights came on and the temperature gauge continuously rose until I was able to pull over. Before I came to a stop, my power steering was out. Yesterday morning when I started it and before I left work it made a slight screeching sound that went away.

I let it cool for a bit then I opened the hood and the belt was a bit loose. There was coolant leaking under the car, I couldn't see where exactly it was coming from.

The pulleys that I could get to were able to spin and the belt showed no signs of wear.

Perhaps a pulley further down was stuck (water pump?)

The alternator was a bit loose, but would that just be from the belt not being properly tensioned? Should it stand firm alone by itself with out the belt?

Any insight/suggestions appreciated.
    Last edited by RlCKY; 05-03-2014, 09:13 AM.

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post
    My work vehicle, 99 Altima, the brake and battery lights came on and the temperature gauge continuously rose until I was able to pull over. Before I came to a stop, my power steering was out. Yesterday morning when I started it and before I left work it made a slight screeching sound that went away.

I let it cool for a bit then I opened the hood and the belt was a bit loose. There was coolant leaking under the car, I couldn't see where exactly it was coming from.

The pulleys that I could get to were able to spin and the belt showed no signs of wear.

The compressor was a bit loose, but would that just be from the belt not being properly tensioned?

when my water pump went in my rex, i had issues with steering from a standstill. parking, stop signs, etc, were where i had issues. once the car warmed up, the issues would often subside.

you'd get the standard belt squealing sound, and the steering would go hard and get a bit bumpy.

i had a regular service for the timing belt @ 100K miles, and at that time they were able to get to, and switch out the water pump.

i am not a mechanic, so i can't help you much beyond that. given the signs, the increase in temperature, i'm guessing that you've got an issue with your timing belt or your water pump. probably the water pump.

have you had the timing belt done? and how many miles?

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      when my water pump went in my rex, i had issues with steering from a standstill. parking, stop signs, etc, were where i had issues. once the car warmed up, the issues would often subside.

you'd get the standard belt squealing sound, and the steering would go hard and get a bit bumpy.

i had a regular service for the timing belt @ 100K miles, and at that time they were able to get to, and switch out the water pump.

i am not a mechanic, so i can't help you much beyond that. given the signs, the increase in temperature, i'm guessing that you've got an issue with your timing belt or your water pump. probably the water pump.

have you had the timing belt done? and how many miles?
      I bought it not too long ago...it had the timing belt done previously, there was a sticker on there for it, I forget how many miles the previous owner had it done at.

I'm thinking it's the bearing for the water pump pulley. It's hard as f to get to it. I don't know if just the pulley can be changed or if I would need the water pump changed.

Comment

Alternator bolts broke off inside the alternator causing it to become loose and lose tension. Could have been worse.

Comment

Originally posted by RlCKY View Post

The alternator was a bit loose, but would that just be from the belt not being properly tensioned? Should it stand firm alone by itself with out the belt?

Your car is fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            Your car is fucked.
            No, he is.

Comment

Your accessory belt is not operating the water pump, power steering, and whatever else it drives. Find out what bolts are broken on alternator and change them out. Readjust tension on a new belt and you should be good to go. This has nothing to do with your timing belt.

Comment

Working...
              X