No announcement yet.

My Top 10 Actors of All-Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by talip bin osman View Post
    The Funny thing is most Americans know the Expendables and stuff like that is crap.

I guess people had a problem with my Top 10 and honorable mentions, because I didn't include enough actors foreign to America and the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
      It's a great film, and he's great in it, but how does that contradict my "De Niro only acts within a certain range" assertion?
      You said De Niro only does De Niro......he certainly wasn't doing De Niro in Cape Fear or Awakenings, both of which he was nominated for Oscar's.

Comment

Originally posted by piggy'sSqueal View Post
        how about dustin hoffman?
        rainman
        the graduate
        kramer vs kramer
        straw dogs
        midnigt cowboy
        papillon
        all the president's man
        marathon man
        tootsie
        lenny
        I got him on there. Hoffman is very underrated. The guys won two oscar's and been in many great films.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          You said De Niro only does De Niro......he certainly wasn't doing De Niro in Cape Fear or Awakenings, both of which he was nominated for Oscar's.
          But they weren't exceptionally out of his range, were they?

And please stop putting an apostrophe in Oscars.

Comment

Not saying they don't, and your statement about Americans is EVERY BIT as ignorant as the Americans who really think like that. True story.
            Comic exaggeration.

Comment

But they weren't exceptionally out of his range, were they?

And please stop putting an apostrophe in Oscars.
              De Niro being De Niro isn't Cape Fear or Awakenings. You said De Niro only does De Niro and when he doesn't, it's not so hot. Well Cape Fear, Awakenings, and The Mission are definitely not De Niro doing De Niro.

And when you bring up little stuff like that in the conversation.....well you know, it's when you have nothing else to say in response.

You're insinuating that De Niro doesn't have much versatility, but that's not the case. De Niro was also the first actor ever to win an Oscar while speaking mostly a foreign language during the film.

Comment

I don't consider it "little stuff"... I've seen you do it four times now.

As for saying stuff in the conversation, what is there to say? You and I clearly have a different point of view on this, and that's cool. But I'm not going to agree that DeNiro playing a psychotic in Cape Fear is massively outside his usual range. A little, perhaps, but he stretched himself more as the fat priest in True Confessions.

I note that, in order to validate this case of yours, you've now added The Mission.. something that previously wasn't part of the discussion.

Comment

I don't consider it "little stuff"... I've seen you do it four times now.

As for saying stuff in the conversation, what is there to say? You and I clearly have a different point of view on this, and that's cool. But I'm not going to agree that DeNiro playing a psychotic in Cape Fear is massively outside his usual range. A little, perhaps, but he stretched himself more as the fat priest in True Confessions.

I note that, in order to validate this case of yours, you've now added The Mission.. something that previously wasn't part of the discussion.
                  Well The Mission was definitely him not doing "De Niro". True Confessions, I was just a little let down by that movie. I thought it'd be better than it was going in.

Well usually bringing up grammar and what not, when this really wasn't even a bad grammar error that much, it usually means you have nothing more to say.

People didn't like my Top 10 because I guess it didn't include enough actors foreign to America and the UK. Oh well.

Comment

Well The Mission was definitely him not doing "De Niro". True Confessions, I was just a little let down by that movie. I thought it'd be better than it was going in.

Well usually bringing up grammar and what not, when this really wasn't even a bad grammar error that much, it usually means you have nothing more to say.
                    I just find it distracting... I did say "please".

True Confessions, I agree, it was like a TV movie of the week deal.

Thanks for the tip on the Mission though, one of the few peak era DeNiros I have yet to see, so I'll check that one out.

Don't get me wrong, I really, really like the guy and think he's a terrific actor. But a massive % of his acting choices tend to be intense Italian American. Which is great and all, but someone like Steiger was a chameleon.

Peace.

Comment

Working...
                    X