Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would a Ward-Kovalev outcome determine the P4P #1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wlad is the P4P King atm in my opinion. Ward could of been but he needs to step it up and get much more active. Needs to drop out from the Winky Wright School of Business.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Clearly. Both are top 5 p4p fighters right now. Whoever won would definitely receive wide and well earned recognition as the best fighter in the world.

Same with Ward/Golovkin.
      It's funny, if you think about it.... both Golovkin and Kovalev have SO MUCH to gain from Ward- Ward could literally define their potential future ATG status because a win over Ward from either one would make them the P4P #1, if what you say about Ward-Golovkin is true.

The tricky and confusing part is...... Would it be the same stipulation if Ward took a loss against one of them and fought other one? Probably not- the one who would of won first would be cemented as the P4P #1.... BUT, Golovkin-Kovalev would never happen and simply not possible, and should never even be discussed for obvious reasons. So, its kind of like a rat race to fight Ward first to be able to try and pop his cherry by possibly beating him and becoming the likely unanimous P4P #1.

Ward needs one of them as well, because "history" probably wouldn't rate a victory against anybody else in the world as much as a win over GGG/Kovalev would further propel his legacy. And at 168 he simply has no options and would be fighting there merely for money.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Fantastic View Post
        Wlad is the P4P King atm in my opinion. Ward could of been but he needs to step it up and get much more active. Needs to drop out from the Winky Wright School of Business.
        I stopped including the HW champions in P4P discussions- because they are the P4P kings by default.

Wlad (and any other HW champ in history) technically IS the reason there is a hypothetically P4P list in the first place. Since he is the HW champ, technically he's the champ of the world because nobody under HW could beat him.... but the same goes with other top HW's. If we included HW's and went by the realistic logic I just mentioned- then the P4P list would look something like:

1) Wlad
        2) Wilder
        3) Povetkin

etc, and that wouldn't be any fun.

So, while i do agree with you- I stopped including HW's in my P4P rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
          I stopped including the HW champions in P4P discussions- because they are the P4P kings by default.

Wlad (and any other HW champ in history) technically IS the reason there is a hypothetically P4P list in the first place. Since he is the HW champ, technically he's the champ of the world because nobody under HW could beat him.... but the same goes with other top HW's. If we included HW's and went by the realistic logic I just mentioned- then the P4P list would look something like:

1) Wlad
          2) Wilder
          3) Povetkin

etc, and that wouldn't be any fun.

So, while i do agree with you- I stopped including HW's in my P4P rankings.
          I see what you mean. Understandable.

In that case, I honestly don't fucking know who should be #1 atm.

Comment

the winner is easily #1 p4p

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
              It's funny, if you think about it.... both Golovkin and Kovalev have SO MUCH to gain from Ward- Ward could literally define their potential future ATG status because a win over Ward from either one would make them the P4P #1, if what you say about Ward-Golovkin is true.

The tricky and confusing part is...... Would it be the same stipulation if Ward took a loss against one of them and fought other one? Probably not- the one who would of won first would be cemented as the P4P #1.... BUT, Golovkin-Kovalev would never happen and simply not possible, and should never even be discussed for obvious reasons. So, its kind of like a rat race to fight Ward first to be able to try and pop his cherry by possibly beating him and becoming the likely unanimous P4P #1.

Ward needs one of them as well, because "history" probably wouldn't rate a victory against anybody else in the world as much as a win over GGG/Kovalev would further propel his legacy. And at 168 he simply has no options and would be fighting there merely for money.
              I'm pretty sure that unless Roman Gonzalez does something crazy, one of the trio of Kovalev/Ward/Golovkin will be p4p#1. There's no way Ward doesn't fight at least one of them, and he could potentially fight both of them. That's why I understand him wanting to wait around for Golovkin, but it looks like he may not be able to now. Which is a shame.

And of course if either Golovkin or Kovalev beat Andre Ward, they are the p4p #1. I don't think it's even a debate without someone else pulling off a remarkable win. Lomachenko/Rigondeaux is the only fight I can think of which could provide the same status to the winner that Ward vs. Golovkin/Kovalev would.

Comment

No. Golovkin is #1 until he retires because he's in an Apple commercial and beat Martin Murray.

Comment

one of the two can be crowned p4p #1 but so could GGG, Canelo, or Thurman.

Also if Gonzales beats Estrada again he would deserve to belong on top as he is now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
                    No. Golovkin is #1 until he retires because he's in an Apple commercial and beat Martin Murray.
                    Martin Murray is one win away from becoming the #1 SMW.

Comment

I been saying it for months. The winner of that fight is my number 1 p4p fighter in the world.

Comment

Working...
                      X