No announcement yet.

Ward To Pull A Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    Are you sure that the split has already been agreed on? I know that's what Kathy Duva insinuates but I'd like to have it confirmed by a neutral party.
    Only from Kathy Duva yes. Why doubt her? It's not only plausible but also likely that it's already in the contract. It's a fairly standard procedure that a champion has a rematch clause where everything is written. Best example of this is the klitschko's.

No need to doubt that. Nothing has been said that implies that she is lying, so common sense and precendence and the fact that what she has said hasn't been opposed by team Ward clearly suggest that it is up to Ward to make or break the fight. Kovalev is ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
      Would be kind of strange, since I don't remember Ward previously being considered a ducker.
      ... You don't? Really? (ask around...)

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
        I can't see the rematch coming off unless Roc Nation are willingly to take another financial loss to guarantee Ward his desired purse.

The terms were agreed before the first fight between promoters, Main Events & Roc Nation. Ward is only tangled up if he is still with his promoters (expect he is).

Roc Nation guaranteed him $5 million and the fight only generated 160k PPV buys.

Their losses haven't been revealed but the recent Pacquiao-Vargas bout needed 180k to break even and that was with Arum saving himself 7.5% of HBO's take, Vargas $2.8million purse and Pacquiao on a percentage of the revenue.

How bad were Roc Nation's losses and are they prepared to suffer again - or do they think the rematch does better?
        Are you sure that it was only Roc Nation which signed that contract/deal, in the first place?... There's no Ward signature on that paper? I ask you because i don't know -- in fact who knows over here?

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
          You have to build it up a bit. ...

Social media feuds can generate interest. I think this might be an underlying consideration. I would be suprised if Ward does not fufill.
          Of course they have to build it...

... But you don't build a signed for rematch fight by stating that you rather retire in case the fight doesn't make financial sense... you don't build a fight in this manner...

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Ward thinks he deserves more than he got last time. That's not unreasonable given that he is now the champ.

But I do agree that based on these two fighter's drawing power there is a limit to how much they can realistically expect to get paid.

One thing is for sure, though: whatever money is in the pot for this bout Ward is right to demand a greater share of it than Kovalev.
            ... the "right money" in a specific fight is provided by the actual market of that fight... the purse split is dictated by the championship status... but in case Ward asks for more money than the market provides, well then...

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
              Of course they have to build it...

... But you don't build a signed for rematch fight by stating that you rather retire in case the fight doesn't make financial sense... you don't build a fight in this manner...
              Your not getting the psychology here: There are racial, gender components and psychosomatic components to this at the very least... If your raised a certain way you react to people telling you what you have to do. Its not even conscious, it could be how we were tiolet trained, our parent's actions, etc. Ward as one who identifies as Black, might not like the feeling of others so anxious to tell him he has to dance for them so to speak. Fighters didn't get to be where they are by saying "duhhh ok" every time someone Don Kings them with a contract. And gender? some people don't like mouthy broads like Duva who seems to think she can dictate terms to Ward.

Try being a person that others depend upon, that has succeded their own way... and been damn good at it. See how much you like people telling what you owe them. Ward has a family, and if he makes a stupid move he could jeapordize college for his kids. What would Duva do for Andre if Andre said "yeah I lost that fight...and and lets fight again next month...and unmotivated he came in and was stiffed by a Kolev straightener...would Duva say "oh gee Andre I am glad we won but being that I coerced this take some money from me! help yourself."

When I read this board there are a lot of very bright people. I also get the sense that there are a lot of people who work a job, perhaps with benefitts, etc...people used to others telling them what they have to do to get paid. Its very different when you are your own boss and have to makes decisions. Trust me on that one!!! Also, look at how many fighters who either duck every challenge or, do what ever is asked of them, get into bad contracts and lose their career earnings because of it. People may not like it but for those in the know Ward makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                It's a fairly standard procedure that a champion has a rematch clause where everything is written.
                Rematch clauses are common. But deciding on the purse split for a second fight before the first fight even happens is rare.

Maybe Duva snuck that into the contract and Ward's people didn't notice. In which case they messed up. I don't know.

But I'd like to hear their side of it at least before passing judgement.

Comment

Your not getting the psychology here: There are racial, gender components and psychosomatic components to this at the very least... If your raised a certain way you react to people telling you what you have to do. Its not even conscious, it could be how we were tiolet trained, our parent's actions, etc. Ward as one who identifies as Black, might not like the feeling of others so anxious to tell him he has to dance for them so to speak. Fighters didn't get to be where they are by saying "duhhh ok" every time someone Don Kings them with a contract. And gender? some people don't like mouthy broads like Duva who seems to think she can dictate terms to Ward.

Try being a person that others depend upon, that has succeded their own way... and been damn good at it. See how much you like people telling what you owe them. Ward has a family, and if he makes a stupid move he could jeapordize college for his kids. What would Duva do for Andre if Andre said "yeah I lost that fight...and and lets fight again next month...and unmotivated he came in and was stiffed by a Kolev straightener...would Duva say "oh gee Andre I am glad we won but being that I coerced this take some money from me! help yourself."

When I read this board there are a lot of very bright people. I also get the sense that there are a lot of people who work a job, perhaps with benefitts, etc...people used to others telling them what they have to do to get paid. Its very different when you are your own boss and have to makes decisions. Trust me on that one!!! Also, look at how many fighters who either duck every challenge or, do what ever is asked of them, get into bad contracts and lose their career earnings because of it. People may not like it but for those in the know Ward makes a lot of sense.
                  This isn't the place to deal with psychology, psychosomatic aspects, family issues etc -- this isn't a site for anthropologists, ethologysts or social behaviorists...

This is about an event within the boxing entertainment industry and (therefore) the business connected to it... These guys signed contracts, and they are supposed to act as responsible mature parties in this business...

... the guy gave his word, he even signed for that word -- I care less for anything else... I'm a boxing fan... And when I'm after deep psychological emotions I read one of Dostoyevsky's novels...
                  Last edited by MDPopescu; 12-23-2016, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    This isn't the place to deal with psychology, psychosomatic aspects, family issues etc -- this isn't a site for anthropologists, ethologysts or social behaviorists...

This is about an event within the boxing entertainment industry and (therefore) the business connected to it... These guys signed contracts, and they are supposed to act as responsible mature parties in this business...

... the guy gave his word, he even signed for that word -- I care less for anything else... I'm a boxing fan... And when I'm after deep psychological emotions I read one of Dostoyevsky's novel...
                    Dostoyevsky great...A teacher of mine once said Aristotle's big contribution to epistemology was to take the big awe inspiring world and made it fit into a little box... Sorry for answering you intelligently but again, you don't get it. Lets use behavoir since you crave simplicity: Ward's operant conditioning to the environment would suggest that he will fight this rematch. So dwell on whatever level you wish, self righteous moralizer regarding contracts, etc...even Ward's detractors do not consider him a ducker.

Ill put to you what another poster put to a Ward crier... wanna sig bet that he takes the rematch? If you win you can really get me by making me say I think Hegal was the beeze knees! Im betting you won't take the bet.
                    Last edited by billeau2; 12-23-2016, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Good stuff buddy. I've been this guys for years. Now, I like it when my role is clearly defined, and I do want I need to do.

I like Ward. I'd like to see a kovalev rematch too. But, I'd like to see Ward Maximize his earning potential too. None of us is getting younger, and boxers need to take fights when they have no options. Ward has options, and he should at this stage in his undefeated career.

Comment

Working...
                      X