No announcement yet.

Starting Late- Fighting Heaver?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
    I've been going to my local boxing gym for just over a month now, and I'm currently 20 years old.
    I want to be a decent pro and I've been training really hard since joining the gym and have a strong level of dedication, attending 3 times a week as recommended.

One thing I've noticed is that the majority of late starters in boxing fight at heavier divisions, and on another boxing forum, I've heard people say things like "In the HW division you can be late starter if you have the talent" and "Lower weight fighters burn out quickly. If you're a fly or bantam, you could be past your prime by age 27".

Personally, I've been a keen gym goer for the past 4 years, and have build up a muscular physique, and I weigh significantly more in muscle than my natural physique. I no longer train like a bodybuilder but I still do compound and functional training.
    If I keep at it, I'd probably be fighting at light heavyweight, or cruiserweight, I feel I'm too short for heavyweight being 5'10.

What I'm trying to ask is should I try to fight at a heavier weight division given my late start in boxing? Will I not be able to live up to the skill and agility relied upon by lower divisions since I didn't start till recently nor did I have a strongly athletic background?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqwku_iHRv8

Comment

Originally posted by IrishDiscussion View Post
      ^^^^^ Yes, Yes, Yes!

Comment

you are training just 3 days a week? You obviously don't even know how to train like a pro yet. But if you really want to fight pro than just let me know. I know a few guys here in Detroit who could use an easy win. We could get you guys together. I would not expect to see your face around much after your first fight though. Just another pussified kid thinking that he should be a fighter. F'n get real.
        Last edited by Rockin'; 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

sheeit, this kid hasn't even sparred yet? Get real and most of all stay off the pipe that is putting these dangerous ideas in to your head. This kid hasn't even sparred yet and he's talking about f'n with the pros. Just a 'pipe dreamer." Put in a few solid years as an amateur and then let us know what's going on, otherwise you are just talking sheeit!!

Comment

"I want to be a decent pro"...............................really?

At 20 years old your already far behind. Decent gets your head handed to you!

Sounds like your headed for an amateur body building hobby.
            It's a nice hobby.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              "I want to be a decent pro"...............................really?

At 20 years old your already far behind. Decent gets your head handed to you!

Sounds like your headed for an amateur body building hobby.
              It's a nice hobby.

Ray
              But body building means that you are a bad ass, just ask Chollo/fatboy. It's just a given.... if you have big huge bulging muscles with veins popping out left and right than you certainly know how to fight
              Last edited by Rockin'; 04-17-2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                sheeit, this kid hasn't even sparred yet? Get real and most of all stay off the pipe that is putting these dangerous ideas in to your head. This kid hasn't even sparred yet and he's talking about f'n with the pros. Just a 'pipe dreamer." Put in a few solid years as an amateur and then let us know what's going on, otherwise you are just talking sheeit!!
                Everyone starts somewhere, no need go heavy at him with this ****, if he's got some kind of goal to become a pro then let him have that aspiration, every person who started boxing with a goal has had some sort of dream of making it in the ranks, be it he hasn't sparred yet like you said and like most people who have them dreams it will could dissipate when they know what it's like to get punched in the ****in head or take a big shot too the ribs but maybe it won't and maybe he can make it.

Do you get off on putting people who want to box down ?, floating above us all acting superior in that ivory tower, disgusted by people who want to make it because you couldn't

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo- View Post
                  Everyone starts somewhere, no need go heavy at him with this ****, if he's got some kind of goal to become a pro then let him have that aspiration, every person who started boxing with a goal has had some sort of dream of making it in the ranks, be it he hasn't sparred yet like you said and like most people who have them dreams it will could dissipate when they know what it's like to get punched in the ****in head or take a big shot too the ribs but maybe it won't and maybe he can make it.

Do you get off on putting people who want to box down ?, floating above us all acting superior in that ivory tower, disgusted by people who want to make it because you couldn't
                  when they are 20 years old, with absolutely no experience, dreaming of fighting pro I do. The kid has never even sparred a round yet, let alone fought a professional round. Sheeit, I'm probably doing him a favor.
                  Last edited by Rockin'; 04-17-2018, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo- View Post

have you ever suffered brain trauma from being punched? I'm doing the kid a favor. And if he was true he would just ignore my words and just do it. Brain trauma...... And you have no clue as to why I got out
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 04-17-2018, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                      have you ever suffered brain trauma from being punched? I'm doing the kid a favor. And if he was true he would just ignore my words and just do it. Brain trauma...... And you have no clue as to why I got out
                      Leave it, let the guy box and let him decide on his own, he doesn't want insults thrown at him from a bitter idiot putting him down before he has even started. I don't find it wise either but I'm not going to start harassing the guy for having a dream, you're not "doing him a favor" because what you say isn't going to change his mind if this is what he wants to do, you're just being the standard Rockin' arsehole that you've become known for, he knows the dangers of boxing I'm sure, he doesn't need you to educate him.

Comment

Working...
                      X