Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mayweather vs. Ortiz: Could This Be Money May's Farewell Fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather vs. Ortiz: Could This Be Money May's Farewell Fight?

When the judges unveiled their unanimous decision that Floyd Mayweather, Jr. had beaten Shane Mosley, it seemed hard to believe that fans would have to wait more than a year to see Money back in action.

Popular demand and media speculation hinted that a bout against Manny Pacquiao was a distinct certainty, but an agreement between the two parties has become un-negotiable.

The failure for the two camps to agree to terms prompted Mayweather to announce on Twitter that he will fight WBC World Welterweight Champion Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) on Sept. 17.

The 24-year-old Ortiz is an impressive fighter, especially when his age is taken into consideration. In his championship bout against Andre Berto, Vicious showed he can weather a flurry of punches and that he has a solid left jab.

Pretty Boy will provide a much sterner challenge; he is more accurate than Berto and quicker. Victory against Ortiz will not be routine, but it is reasonable to expect from a man who is unbeaten from 41 professional fights and is a five division champion.

What is more interesting is the future prospects for Mayweather, as there are potential bouts available that could attract his attention.

Sergio Martinez has called out the former No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter but it seems that a fight against Pacquiao is what fans want to see.

Pac Man has added fuel to the fire by suggesting he would be willing to fight Mayweather, provided he wins his WBC bout against Ortiz Saturday. Speaking in the Manila Bulletin, the Filipino said,*“That’s good [referring to news that Mayweather is battling Ortiz]. Ortiz is a southpaw like me, so I think Mayweather is preparing. If he gets past Ortiz [then a fight can be made].”

The dream fight, however, may forever be condemned to be nothing more than a flight of fantasy. If it is to go ahead, Pacquiao will have to agree to Mayweather’s exorbitant blood testing demands. He may also have to offer Mayweather a bigger cut of the gate receipts, even though a 50-50 split has already been tabled.

If the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight does not go ahead, Mayweather may be tempted to answer Sergio Martinez’s challenge.

Although the Argentine is currently scheduled to fight Darren Barker on Oct. 1, Martinez has openly called out both Mayweather and Pacquiao for a bout at 154 pounds.

"I never said to Pacquiao or Mayweather to come up to my weight at 160 pounds," Martinez said. "What I said in the past was, 'Hey, let's make an agreement. Let's do a catch weight or let’s fight at 154 pounds.'"

Although making the weight could be a challenge for Pacquiao, especially when one looks at the damage he took from Antonio Margarito, 154 pounds is a weight Mayweather should easily be able to make.

Indeed, the belief that the fight will take place is echoed by promoter Sampson Lewkowicz:

“Mayweather is a true champion and he will take the fight. My thoughts are he will take the fight if it’s on the table because he will want to prove that he’s number one and beating Martinez would prove that he’s No. 1. I believe it’s a fight that could happen,” he said.

It seems unlikely this will be Mayweather’s last bout, given the fact that he is challenging for a world title. He has lost his recognition as a top pound-for-pound fighter due to inactivity and this is bound to dent his ego.

If this was to be his farewell fight, why would he bother challenging for a title? It seems he is trying to rebuild his name, which has taken a knock in the past 18 months.

Link
    Last edited by freeloada; 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM.

He'll go on vacation until late 2012, then fight Khan or Berto.

Comment

Originally posted by freeloada View Post
      When the judges unveiled their unanimous decision that Floyd Mayweather, Jr. had beaten Shane Mosley, it seemed hard to believe that fans would have to wait more than a year to see Money back in action.

Popular demand and media speculation hinted that a bout against Manny Pacquiao was a distinct certainty, but an agreement between the two parties has become un-negotiable.

The failure for the two camps to agree to terms prompted Mayweather to announce on Twitter that he will fight WBC World Welterweight Champion Victor Ortiz (29-2-2, 22 KOs) on Sept. 17.

The 24-year-old Ortiz is an impressive fighter, especially when his age is taken into consideration. In his championship bout against Andre Berto, Vicious showed he can weather a flurry of punches and that he has a solid left jab.

Pretty Boy will provide a much sterner challenge; he is more accurate than Berto and quicker. Victory against Ortiz will not be routine, but it is reasonable to expect from a man who is unbeaten from 41 professional fights and is a five division champion.

What is more interesting is the future prospects for Mayweather, as there are potential bouts available that could attract his attention.

Sergio Martinez has called out the former No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter but it seems that a fight against Pacquiao is what fans want to see.

Pac Man has added fuel to the fire by suggesting he would be willing to fight Mayweather, provided he wins his WBC bout against Ortiz Saturday. Speaking in the Manila Bulletin, the Filipino said,*“That’s good [referring to news that Mayweather is battling Ortiz]. Ortiz is a southpaw like me, so I think Mayweather is preparing. If he gets past Ortiz [then a fight can be made].”

The dream fight, however, may forever be condemned to be nothing more than a flight of fantasy. If it is to go ahead, Pacquiao will have to agree to Mayweather’s exorbitant blood testing demands. He may also have to offer Mayweather a bigger cut of the gate receipts, even though a 50-50 split has already been tabled.

If the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight does not go ahead, Mayweather may be tempted to answer Sergio Martinez’s challenge.

Although the Argentine is currently scheduled to fight Darren Barker on Oct. 1, Martinez has openly called out both Mayweather and Pacquiao for a bout at 154 pounds.

"I never said to Pacquiao or Mayweather to come up to my weight at 160 pounds," Martinez said. "What I said in the past was, 'Hey, let's make an agreement. Let's do a catch weight or let’s fight at 154 pounds.'"

Although making the weight could be a challenge for Pacquiao, especially when one looks at the damage he took from Antonio Margarito, 154 pounds is a weight Mayweather should easily be able to make.

Indeed, the belief that the fight will take place is echoed by promoter Sampson Lewkowicz:

“Mayweather is a true champion and he will take the fight. My thoughts are he will take the fight if it’s on the table because he will want to prove that he’s number one and beating Martinez would prove that he’s No. 1. I believe it’s a fight that could happen,” he said.

It seems unlikely this will be Mayweather’s last bout, given the fact that he is challenging for a world title. He has lost his recognition as a top pound-for-pound fighter due to inactivity and this is bound to dent his ego.

If this was to be his farewell fight, why would he bother challenging for a title? It seems he is trying to rebuild his name, which has taken a knock in the past 18 months.

stopped reading right there.first of all he's a southpaw.secondly his right jab sucks.

Comment

Could be, but I don't know if Floyd is going to be able to retire anytime soon with all the debt and expenses he has.

Comment

I don't think Floyd will lose, but why are people saying it'd be his last fight if he did?

Comment

Mayweather's making a lot of money fighting Golden Boy fighters and he wont fight anyone else.This is a business and his life is pretty set.He's already fought Hatton,Mosley,Marquez all Golden Boy fighters.Now he's going for:
            1:Canelo next
            2 Khan
            3 Berto (even though he's not a GBP) the Al Hymon connection ensures a huge purse.

Pacquiao has no intention of fighting Mayweather and so does Arum.For Mosley to fight Pacquiao he had to go to Top Rank.Sorry guys this is the way boxing works now,sign as many fighters in your company then let them fight each other.Look at Cotto-Margarito,Pacquiao,Mosley then now Marquez.Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by Leohappy View Post
              I don't think Floyd will lose, but why are people saying it'd be his last fight if he did?
              I don't know if Floyd would retire with a loss, but many undefeated fighters have retired or turned **** the moment they were beaten. Someone with an ego as big and fragile as Floyd may have big problems coming to terms with defeat.

Comment

Originally posted by louvega View Post
                I don't know if Floyd would retire with a loss, but many undefeated fighters have retired or turned **** the moment they were beaten. Someone with an ego as big and fragile as Floyd may have big problems coming to terms with defeat.
                He has a rematch close so he will be back immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakutindi Wauya View Post
                  He has a rematch close so he will be back immediately.
                  He can have whatever he wants. If Ortiz smashes him (I very much doubt it), I don't think Floyd will get anywhere close to a ring with him again. You know rematch clauses don't mean **** most of the time and can be easily avoided, both by the winner and the loser.

Comment

If the fight is a close decision, then yes, I can see them having an immediate rematch.

Comment

Working...
                    X