No announcement yet.

I'm sick of boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sick of boxing

Now, before y'all start saying "boxing doesn't need you!" or "just watch another sport", then understand, that I actually love boxing. It's a big passion of mine. I'm just so sick and tired of all these useless weight classes separated by less than 10 lbs, all of these belts being in play at once and everyone ducking everyone. Boxers are so protected that it's hard to justify and even harder to enjoy...

Why not be a bit more like UFC? More logical weight divisions, 1 relevant belt, the best being obliged to fight the best? Boxing is just becoming worse and worse...

Soon, we will have 6 belts and possibly even a 164 lbs division, a 158 lbs division and other stupid ****, instead of just going 150-160-170-180, etc.

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post

Why not be a bit more like UFC? More logical weight divisions, 1 relevant belt, the best being obliged to fight the best? Boxing is just becoming worse and worse...
    UFC paydays: six figures.

Boxing paydays: 7/8/9 figures.

UFC fighters are increasingly wanting to box. Heather Hardy and her double-fight situation.

The reality is, while fans may love UFC's approach of forced opposition, it gives no quarter for guys to negotiate for the paydays they feel they should get for dangerous sports.

Fans may not like that but, when you got guys like Holyfield who got kicked out of his mansion for non-payment and Iran Barkley working at a candy shop living on public housing, these newer fighters are going to seek big paydays. As stupid as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      UFC paydays: six figures.

Boxing paydays: 7/8/9 figures.

UFC fighters are increasingly wanting to box. Heather Hardy and her double-fight situation.

The reality is, while fans may love UFC's approach of forced opposition, it gives no quarter for guys to negotiate for the paydays they feel they should get for dangerous sports.

Fans may not like that but, when you got guys like Holyfield who got kicked out of his mansion for non-payment and Iran Barkley working at a candy shop living on public housing, these newer fighters are going to seek big paydays. As stupid as it is.
      Which is of no relevance to us as boxing fans, our fighters getting paid more doesn't mean much if anything it creates a strain on big fights actually being made to happen.

Being paid a milly or two is a big deal a very big deal, but we often have boxers acting like its chump change, is that really a good thing for the sport?
      I for one don't think so, it seems like the UFC still has a working class type of fighter in amongst its very top ranks people who are passionate about their love for the sport with boxing its often I get the feeling money is the be-all and end-all of most of the top guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Banko Villas View Post
        Now, before y'all start saying "boxing doesn't need you!" or "just watch another sport", then understand, that I actually love boxing. It's a big passion of mine. I'm just so sick and tired of all these useless weight classes separated by less than 10 lbs, all of these belts being in play at once and everyone ducking everyone. Boxers are so protected that it's hard to justify and even harder to enjoy...

Soon, we will have 6 belts and possibly even a 164 lbs division, a 158 lbs division and other stupid ****, instead of just going 150-160-170-180, etc.
        Later tater!

via GIPHY

Comment

I can understand that. I HATE how boxing operates myself.

Too many weight divisions, specifically too many lil guy divisions. Too many belts. Too much abc bs. Fights you wanna see don't happen enough. Judges f#cking up outcomes. I think plenty of people have drifted from boxing already because of one or more of the above or other dumb sh^t f#cking up the sport. I think thats why boxing gets more & more niche every year.

2017 was a nice year & there are things in play now that could trend things back the right way, but there is so much wrong with the structure of professional boxing it'd still take a decade to fully turn things around if that positive trend continued.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfknGGGtime View Post
            Which is of no relevance to us as boxing fans, our fighters getting paid more doesn't mean much if anything it creates a strain on big fights actually being made to happen.

Being paid a milly or two is a big deal a very big deal, but we often have boxers acting like its chump change, is that really a good thing for the sport?
            I for one don't think so, it seems like the UFC still has a working class type of fighter in amongst its very top ranks people who are passionate about their love for the sport with boxing its often I get the feeling money is the be-all and end-all of most of the top guys.
            Don't selective quote. I said:

That's the salient point here. UFC has more moonlighting Uber drivers than boxing.

John Alessio: https://www.mmamania.com/2015/11/3/9...ber-cab-driver

Sheymon Moraes:
            https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/12/...areer-mma-news

Cezar Ferreira:
            http://www.fightful.com/cezar-ferrei...een-ufc-fights

Tim Johnson:
            http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/uf...dcast.3352521/

That's just off the surface.

Look, I get it. You respect the "working class" mentality. But these guys are putting their lives on the line for fans. There's no excuse for some software developer out in California or Washington State sitting in a climate controlled office making $150k/year when some of these guys barely crack 5 figures a fight.

Now, I do think some C-levels are asking for too much money when they haven't earned it, but when you're a world champion barely making $100k/year? That's BS.

Comment

But these guys are putting their lives on the line for fans.
              Makes me chuckle whenever fake fans say such thing. Who actually cares other than those directly involved? You should switch to tennis or something. You don't belong in this sport. If you're okay with mismatches, then you're just fooling yourself you care about these people. You might as well say you only care about the top guys, and don't give a crap about the Salkas of the world, the over-the-hill Rioses, etc. That's what most fights compose of these days. They're too predictable.

These boxers can get out of the sport anytime they want. Nobody forced them to choose it as a career.

Comment

I mean is not like MMA is perfect with their divisions, there are many good fighter that are just unable to cut to 155 yet too undersized to fight at 170.

Comment

Working...
                X