Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CDC: 80,000 people died of flu 2017 winter in U.S., highest death toll in 40 years

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
    Besides at-birth vaccines and probably 2 more before I turned 15, I've never gotten any other vaccine.

Didn't even accept flu vaccines when I worked at a hospital.
    I agree with this.

Comment

Vaccines do work. You take what you need. If you are going to travel there are certain parts of the world that you will need to get a shot or two.

Flu vaccines do work but it doesn't have every flu strand. There is a reason that they are mandatory in nursing homes and some healthcare facilities.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
        Everything is a balance in the body (one of the reasons supplements can be a risk), get your K2 to prevent the calcifying effects of Vitamin D, and obviously don’t take too much. Best source is always the natural one, if you are in a naturally sunny country, you’re fortunate. Not the case in plenty of places. Likewise, then there’s the issue’s of skin color, sunscreen, diet, obesity etc.

There’s plenty of legit doctors and research papers you can read on the efficacy of Vit D, although I don’t think you are arguing that, but just the supposed deficiency in the population.
        Here’s a short, simple read: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532266/

Look at it like this, The RDA for gives you just the minimum amount you need to avoid deficiency related conditions. Minimum may not be deficient, but it is not optimal.

I hadn’t been sick for god knows how long, not even a sniffle, likewise with most guys I know on Vit D and C supplements.(this isn’t a sunny place you see). Got sick for a solid week or two after discontinuing my Vit D supplement, when I got back on it, cleared in 2-3 days. Likewise, my Aunt, an old woman who seemed on the verge of death during the winter, made me decide to give her some Cod liver oil (vit A aswell as D, she was already on Vit C), after she woke up paralyzed one day. I don’t know her body, but after 2-3 days, she was considerably better, if not all but cured.

Edit: I forgot to mention this. Getting just enough in the summer time does not mean you will be getting enough when the sun becomes scarce. Your levels will obviously change. Same when stress is introduced. The spanish Flu peaked late Fall to December too. It’s usually always during those times when people are vulnerable. And if you read the article I posted. It’s not the only one I’ve read mentioning that hospitalized individuals are usually low in Vitamin D. In some studies I’ve read that between 40-70% in ICU are deficient in vitamin D. And with that said, The US doesn’t even like to test for Vit D.
        As far as Vitamin C and antioxidant supplements they do more harm than good. its better to eat fruits and bell peppers for antioxidants.

Antioxidants: Skip them - an excess of these has been linked to an increased risk of certain cancers, and you can eat berries instead.

Vitamins A, C, and E are antioxidants found in plentiful form in many fruits - especially berries - and veggies, and they've been touted for their alleged ability to protect against cancer.

But studies suggest that when taken in excess, antioxidants can actually be harmful. A large, long-term study of male smokers found that those who regularly took Vitamin A were more likely to get lung cancer than those who didn't.

And a 2007 review of trials of several different types of antioxidant supplements put it this way: "Treatment with beta carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E may increase mortality."

Vitamin C: Skip it - it probably won't help you get over your cold, and you can eat citrus fruits instead.

The Vitamin C hype - which started with a suggestion from chemist Linus Pauling made in the 1970s and has peaked with Airborne and Emergen-C - is just that: hype.

Study after study has shown that Vitamin C does little to nothing to prevent the common cold. Plus, megadoses of 2,000 milligrams or more can raise your risk of painful kidney stones.

So get your Vitamin C from your food instead. Strawberries are packed with the nutrient.

Vitamin C from supplement form is ineffective unless you have severe deficiency which is rare you need to eat the source to get antioxidant in its most potent and useful form.

The best thing to do is eat bell pepper and oranges or kiwi, read this article the vitamin C is only absorb through fruit which has toxins that strengthen your immune system

supplements you buy do more harm than good most of the stuff is not regulated they contain low amounts and filler or toxic metals and poisons.

Fruits and Vegetables Are Trying to Kill You

Antioxidant vitamins don’t stress us like plants do—and don’t have their beneficial effect.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/f...ng-to-kill-you

Comment

Originally posted by STREET CLEANER View Post
          Vaccines do work. You take what you need. If you are going to travel there are certain parts of the world that you will need to get a shot or two.

Flu vaccines do work but it doesn't have every flu strand. There is a reason that they are mandatory in nursing homes and some healthcare facilities.
          Another intelligent and rational answer. Its good to see people who still have a brain here. You should take vaccines before traveling to places like Africa or Asia unless you want to get sick.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
            As far as Vitamin C and antioxidant supplements they do more harm than good. its better to eat fruits and bell peppers for antioxidants.

Antioxidants: Skip them - an excess of these has been linked to an increased risk of certain cancers, and you can eat berries instead.

Vitamins A, C, and E are antioxidants found in plentiful form in many fruits - especially berries - and veggies, and they've been touted for their alleged ability to protect against cancer.

But studies suggest that when taken in excess, antioxidants can actually be harmful. A large, long-term study of male smokers found that those who regularly took Vitamin A were more likely to get lung cancer than those who didn't.

And a 2007 review of trials of several different types of antioxidant supplements put it this way: "Treatment with beta carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin E may increase mortality."

Vitamin C: Skip it - it probably won't help you get over your cold, and you can eat citrus fruits instead.

The Vitamin C hype - which started with a suggestion from chemist Linus Pauling made in the 1970s and has peaked with Airborne and Emergen-C - is just that: hype.

Study after study has shown that Vitamin C does little to nothing to prevent the common cold. Plus, megadoses of 2,000 milligrams or more can raise your risk of painful kidney stones.

So get your Vitamin C from your food instead. Strawberries are packed with the nutrient.

Vitamin C from supplement form is ineffective unless you have severe deficiency which is rare you need to eat the source to get antioxidant in its most potent and useful form.

The best thing to do is eat bell pepper and oranges or kiwi, read this article the vitamin C is only absorb through fruit which has toxins that strengthen your immune system

supplements you buy do more harm than good most of the stuff is not regulated they contain low amounts and filler or toxic metals and poisons.

Antioxidant vitamins don’t stress us like plants do—and don’t have their beneficial effect.

You’re not showing me anything I don’t know.
            If your only point is get your nutrients from natural sources. I agree. That said, even excess water is lethal.

Comment

You’re not showing me anything I don’t know.
              If your only point is get your nutrients from natural sources. I agree. That said, even excess water is lethal.
              Vitamin C supplement didnt make you prevent a flu or cold, your immune system is probably strong from being around people or around viruses daily so you build up stronger immune system.

its placebo

Comment

Vitamin C supplement didnt make you prevent a flu or cold, your immune system is probably strong from being around people or around viruses daily so you build up stronger immune system.

its placebo
                Never said it did. I said Vit D did (from cod liver oil). I use it only once every 2 days or w/e. My diet is already rich in Vit A.

Comment

Never said it did. I said Vit D did (from cod liver oil).
                  I know, im just saying it as a statement like talking as a whole.

Like i said vitamin D is good, but only for those who really need it but its also not needed in high doses like some people are doing. Vit c and other supps are wasted money for the majority.

Comment

I know, im just saying it as a statement like talking as a whole.

Like i said vitamin D is good, but only for those who really need it but its also not needed in high doses like some people are doing. Vit c and other supps are wasted money for the majority.
                    I see. Good talk.

Comment

I actually read that Vitamin C could potentially be an effective supplement for fighting off a cold or preventing one if you have an athletic level of fitness, but for everyone else, it’s useless.

Comment

Working...
                      X