• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ramses07 View Post
    lol yall wildin

now the that ive seen GGG vs Jacobs and canelo

Sergio Martinez wrecks GGG

that is the point

this debate was more appropriate when Golovkin was hyped

Maravilla... too slick/skilled/tough... for Golovkin...

could Golovkin have beaten Kelly Pavlik... ?

that is a more suitable question to ascertain Golovkin's level at this point

I think that would have been a life-n-death fight

Comment

I thought the whole premise of fantasy fights was to have both guys in their primes...

Comment

Even when the matchup was being tossed about during the whole Martinez-Golovkin-Quillin years I thought Golovkin was the heavy favorite to beat them both via stoppage.

Stylewise GGG is all wrong for Martinez. Martinez has more speed but Golovkin was always the better boxer. Martinez's hands down lure you in style would be his downfall since GGG's offense is far superior to Maravilla's defense. Lesser boxers with half the offensive prowess and power have landed on Martinez.

I see it playing out like the Brook fight to a degree where Martinez could be having some great moments but then starts getting hit heavy jabs and eventually some follow up shots to put him away.

Comment

A close entertaining fight.

Comment

Sergio by decision.

GGG would not start winning any rounds until after the 9th.

Unless he caught him with some lucky one hit ko. GGG is getting boxed up that entire match. Unless Sergio's knees give out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tails View Post
              Even when the matchup was being tossed about during the whole Martinez-Golovkin-Quillin years I thought Golovkin was the heavy favorite to beat them both via stoppage.

Stylewise GGG is all wrong for Martinez. Martinez has more speed but Golovkin was always the better boxer. Martinez's hands down lure you in style would be his downfall since GGG's offense is far superior to Maravilla's defense. Lesser boxers with half the offensive prowess and power have landed on Martinez.

I see it playing out like the Brook fight to a degree where Martinez could be having some great moments but then starts getting hit heavy jabs and eventually some follow up shots to put him away.
              You're either forgetting Sergio's footwork or underrating it.

He's not there to be hit like Brook. He sticks, moves, and counters. That's not Brook's game.

Can't even use PWill as a measure because PWill is a massive volume puncher. Despite beating Paul the 2nd time by KO.

GGG is great at cutting the ring off but he's a plotter with a very slow tempo but very big shots.

It would be more like the Jacobs fight where GGG got out boxed in parts of the match. Except Sergio is a much better boxer than Jacobs with much, much better footwork, and will likely win majority of the early and mid rounds until his stamina drops and his footwork wanes naturally.

Which leaves GGG playing for the late KO (Chavez Jr style) or a hope for some sort of split decision/ robbery.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                that is the point

this debate was more appropriate when Golovkin was hyped

Maravilla... too slick/skilled/tough... for Golovkin...

could Golovkin have beaten Kelly Pavlik... ?

that is a more suitable question to ascertain Golovkin's level at this point

I think that would have been a life-n-death fight

Sergio too [...] for Golovkin? No.

Could Golovkin beat Pavlik? Yes.

I think Sergio beats Golovkin but it's not because he's considerably better than Golovkin.

Styles make fights and Golovkin simply wouldn't be able to get any real offense going until the late rounds. When Sergio slows down and he's there to be hit more often.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
                  You're either forgetting Sergio's footwork or underrating it.

He's not there to be hit like Brook. He sticks, moves, and counters. That's not Brook's game.

Can't even use PWill as a measure because PWill is a massive volume puncher. Despite beating Paul the 2nd time by KO.

GGG is great at cutting the ring off but he's a plotter with a very slow tempo but very big shots.

It would be more like the Jacobs fight where GGG got out boxed in parts of the match. Except Sergio is a much better boxer than Jacobs with much, much better footwork, and will likely win majority of the early and mid rounds until his stamina drops and his footwork wanes naturally.

Which leaves GGG playing for the late KO (Chavez Jr style) or a hope for some sort of split decision/ robbery.
                  Sergio's footwork had him out of position and off balance plenty of times in his career. He had an unorthodox style but that doesn't automatically mean he had solid fundamentals. And Golovkin wasn't a plotter, if we're talking about him in a prime sense. He used to be much more light on his feet, until he started getting older and Abel had changed his style enough. The Golovkin from the Jacobs fight and the Golovkin from say, the Proksa fight, are so much different. Somehow the younger version of Golovkin has been erased by the older Golovkin and guys are assuming that's how he's always fought, which isn't the case at all. Sergio would get caught and caught often. Lesser fighters than Golovkin with much less power hit him often enough. I'd love to see him with his hands down and start taking a prime Golovkin jab to the face. I loved Sergio when he was on his reign but he wasn't without his flaws and someone like GGG wouldn't have trouble finding them. Rewatch the Proksa fight and tell me the last time you saw Gennadiy move like that.
                  Last edited by AKAcronym; 03-26-2020, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mick1303 View Post
                    Younger version of Martinez was KOd by career welter in Margarito. This tells me all I need to know about this matchup.
                    Margo could of fought easily at 160 but never chose to, i think this fight was at 147 no?

Comment

Originally posted by AKAcronym View Post
                      Sergio's footwork had him out of position and off balance plenty of times in his career. He had an unorthodox style but that doesn't automatically mean he had solid fundamentals. And Golovkin wasn't a plotter, if we're talking about him in a prime sense. He used to be much more light on his feet, until he started getting older and Abel had changed his style enough. The Golovkin from the Jacobs fight and the Golovkin from say, the Proksa fight, are so much different. Somehow the younger version of Golovkin has been erased by the older Golovkin and guys are assuming that's how he's always fought, which isn't the case at all. Sergio would get caught and caught often. Lesser fighters than Golovkin with much less power hit him often enough. I'd love to see him with his hands down and start taking a prime Golovkin jab to the face. I loved Sergio when he was on his reign but he wasn't without his flaws and someone like GGG wouldn't have trouble finding them.
                      I guess what you're basing it on is Sergio not being to withstand some early shots from GGG.

That's fair play. If Sergio can't take a shot or two early, he's going down. That's fair and I can agree with that. Although he's never showed to be chinny.

However, Proska != Sergio

Even if we say GGG's prime was during his early rise to fame. Beating Proska and Rosado etc. Those aren't boxers on that elite tier like Sergio. So it's not much to say GGG was able to cut the ring and stay on those guys when they weren't up to Sergio's level of boxing.

The first time GGG really fought a decent boxer with evasion, he got demystified. Then when he fought a true elite, he lost twice.

So, I think it's fair to say GGG will most likely get out boxed, early 30s or mid 30s, as evident of his career events. If he doesn't catch him late, as you pointed out Sergio's flaws which is true but only become exploitable late in fights. Sergio is most likely boxing him for 8-9 rounds easy.

GGG isn't and never was a volume puncher or a swarmer. He has great technique, he has tremendous power, he cuts the ring off extremely well. He's not a dancer and he's not throwing at high volumes against a mobile opponent.

Comment

Working...
                      X