No announcement yet.

Will Terence Crawford Make It at 147?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Terence Crawford Make It at 147?

I heard that Crawford's fighting the winner of Horn vs Corcoran, for the WBO title. Which of the big welterweights do you think he'll win or lose against, and why?

Let me start off with some of my predictions

Keith Thurman: Thurman is a versatile boxer-puncher, with decent power in both hands. The thing is, his body and head are vulnerable. He nearly got dropped by a body shot from Collazo, hurt to the body again by Porter, and straight up dropped by a head shot from Quandray Robertson. His power's also been looking a little sus lately. Crawford will probably be looking to hurt Thurman to the body, but he's gonna have to take risks to get those shots in. 55-45 Crawford

Errol Spence: From what I've seen, Spence is a very physical fighter, with monstrous punching power. However, going off of Spence's last match, he looks a little messy against technicians. Crawford's one of the most technically sound boxers of this generation, but Spence has the power to turn the fight around in one punch. Crawford's gonna have to put on a boxing clinic, if he wants to beat Spence. 60-40 Spence.

Danny Garcia: Garcia is a very limited fighter at 147. He has a good, but telegraphed left hook, alright upper-body movement, a good sense of timing, and an iron chin. The issue is, his power didn't move up with him, so his left hook is the only threatening punch he really has in his arsenal; he could rarely land it on Thurman, who's the only elite welterweight he's faced so far. Also, he needs to rely on his upper-body movement, because he's flat-footed. Unless Garcia somehow manages to land and hurt Crawford with his signature no-look hook, this fight will be pretty one-sided. 70-30 Crawford.

Shawn Porter: Porter's a busy fighter like Spence, but he doesn't have Spence's power, and tends to smother his own work. Going off of what I've seen, Porter bumrushes you onto the ropes or a corner, then throws everything but the kitchen sink. He also uses a lot of grabbing and dirty tactics once he traps you. Crawford's gonna want to use his footwork to keep the fight at the center of the ring, use his jab to maintain a safe distance and keep a level head to prevent Porter's style from frustrating him. I think Crawford would outbox Porter. 60-40 Crawford.

Jeff Horn/Gary Corcoran: Whichever one of them wins their match, is facing Crawford next. I got Crawford via TKO. 80-20 Crawford against either of them.
    Last edited by Slicc; 06-09-2018, 10:43 PM.

Great read. Pretty spot on assessments. Although personally I would give Crawford more of a chance against thurman. I believe Crawford just has much more ability.
    And I give spence more of a chance to best Crawford. Much bigger and more talent. But I overall I can get behind you.
    Last edited by Lopez_Boxing; 11-22-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Crawford should be more like 95/5 against Horn than 80/20, and him and Porter is not a close fight, he beats both Thurman and Spence imo aswell, there styles are tailor made for him

Comment

Yes, I think Bud will do very well at welterweight. I can hardly wait for that move up. It will be his time to shine IMO. The stage is being set, he just has to step in the ring and prove that he is worthy of being mentioned as the best of this new generation.

Comment

Bob will steer Crawford away from PBC fighters. Crawford will lose to any good welterweight. Crawford has a very limited resume for the hype he gets. I don't know how guys say he is so talented when the best guy he fought was a blown up and inactive Gamboa... who also buzzed him while being at a massive size disadvantage. Crawford fought nobody good since then and just won some belts against guys that have done nothing of substance. Why is Crawford getting so much hype from beating guys like Molina, Diaz, Postol, Delorme, etc...? You aren't some p4p king with a bum of the month club resume.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicc View Post
            I heard that Crawford's fighting the winner of Horn vs Corcoran, for the WBO title. Which of the big welterweights do you think he'll win or lose against, and why?

Keith Thurman: Thurman is a versatile boxer-puncher, with decent power in both hands. The thing is, his body and head are vulnerable. He nearly got dropped by a body shot from Collazo, hurt to the body again by Porter, and straight up dropped by a head shot from Quandray Robertson. His power's also been looking a little sus lately. Crawford will probably be looking to hurt Thurman to the body, but he's gonna have to take risks to get those shots in. 55-45 Crawford

Errol Spence: From what I've seen, Spence is a very physical fighter, with monstrous punching power. However, going off of Spence's last match, he looks a little messy against technicians. Crawford's one of the most technically sound boxers of this generation, but Spence has the power to turn the fight around in one punch. Crawford's gonna have to put on a boxing clinic, if he wants to beat Spence. 60-40 Spence.

Danny Garcia: Garcia is a very limited fighter at 147. He has a good, but telegraphed left hook, alright upper-body movement, a good sense of timing, and an iron chin. The issue is, his power didn't move up with him, so his left hook is the only threatening punch he really has in his arsenal; he could rarely land it on Thurman, who's the only elite welterweight he's faced so far. Also, he needs to rely on his upper-body movement, because he's flat-footed. Unless Garcia somehow manages to land and hurt Crawford with his signature no-look hook, this fight will be pretty one-sided. 70-30 Crawford.

Shawn Porter: Porter's a busy fighter like Spence, but he doesn't have Spence's power, and tends to smother his own work. Going off of what I've seen, Porter bumrushes you onto the ropes or a corner, then throws everything but the kitchen sink. He also uses a lot of grabbing and dirty tactics once he traps you. Crawford's gonna want to use his footwork to keep the fight at the center of the ring, use his jab to maintain a safe distance and keep a level head to prevent Porter's style from frustrating him.
            I think Crawford will outbox Porter. 60-40 Crawford.

Jeff Horn/Gary Corcoran: Whichever one of them wins their match, is facing Crawford next. I got Crawford via TKO. 80-20 Crawford against either of them.
            Good read & assessments of the fighters. But I think it would be closer with Thurman & a little closer with Danny. Let's see how all this plays out if bob would let the leash go.......

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
              Bob will steer Crawford away from PBC fighters. Crawford will lose to any good welterweight. Crawford has a very limited resume for the hype he gets. I don't know how guys say he is so talented when the best guy he fought was a blown up and inactive Gamboa... who also buzzed him while being at a massive size disadvantage. Crawford fought nobody good since then and just won some belts against guys that have done nothing of substance. Why is Crawford getting so much hype from beating guys like Molina, Diaz, Postol, Delorme, etc...? You aren't some p4p king with a bum of the month club resume.
              Postol was a bum ! He was the consensus no.2 guy behind only Crawford, same with Indongo no credit though ?

Are you an actual boxing fan ?

Comment

Crawford was a big 135/140 fighter. He entered the ring at around 154/5 and walks around at 162+. WW is where he needs to be. I think he can carry his power up to 147 with no problem. Combined with his boxing skill it will be enough to compete with the likes of Thurman, Spence, Garcia etc. I see Thurman/Crawford as a 50/50 fight. A lot of fans have been writing Thurman off as of late because of his inactivity and his preference for counter-punching. But he's still top 3 in the division and he's fighting smarter.

I would slightly favor Spence over Crawford, even though Crawford is the more polished boxer of the two. Spence is naturally bigger and more powerful and has just enough tools all around to bother Crawford.

Danny Garcia would get his ears boxed off. As would Mikey Garcia at 147. Horn would get stopped inside 6 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicc View Post

Shawn Porter: Porter's a busy fighter like Spence, but he doesn't have Spence's power, and tends to smother his own work. Going off of what I've seen, Porter bumrushes you onto the ropes or a corner, then throws everything but the kitchen sink. He also uses a lot of grabbing and dirty tactics once he traps you. Crawford's gonna want to use his footwork to keep the fight at the center of the ring, use his jab to maintain a safe distance and keep a level head to prevent Porter's style from frustrating him.
                  I think Crawford will outbox Porter. 60-40 Crawford.

Good write up. I am a little more bullish on Crawford at 147 than many.

I would put him at 75/25 with Porter and 65/35 with Thurman. I think he easily deals with Porter's madness. I think Thurman tries to outbox him like Canelo did Floyd and loses big.

Danny is my boy but I would put him at 80/20 with Danny. I agree with your assessment.

Spence/Crawford is the next big fight IMO. I see it as 50/50. It could really go either way. Gun to my head, I think Spence being heavier and his slightly longer reach might offset Crawford's boxing ability.

I can't wait for them to fight.

Comment

Very good odds but mine are a little different. Crawford-Thurman 75/25 Crawford. Crawford-winner of Horn-Corcoran 97/3 Crawford. Crawford-Spence 80/20 Spence. Crawford-Porter 75/25 Crawford. Crawford-Garcia 90/10 Crawford.

Comment

Working...
                    X