Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's more important: landing more punches vs making opponent miss more punches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defense is underrated these days. Making your opponents miss is an art. Not many can do. I don't like face first bullshit with no skills, attitude, and finesse to your art. I'd rather watch Mayweather (Canelo) toying and making opponents miss than Golovkin trying to bulldoze cans.

I think that was your point.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
      Defense is underrated these days. Making your opponents miss is an art. Not many can do. I don't like face first bullshit with no skills, attitude, and finesse to your art. I'd rather watch Mayweather (Canelo) toying and making opponents miss than Golovkin trying to bulldoze cans.

I think that was your point.

Actually, defense is getting overrated these days. Many seem to think boxing skills are only about defensive skills. When in actual fact, it is a combination of offensive and defensive skills.

I'd rather watch a guy who displays both (boxer + knockout artist), over the boxer who only displays one (a brawling or being in survival mode / running).

Gennady Golovkin's performance against David Lemieux is one of the best examples of what I mean. Wladimir Klitschko's domination for over a decade against top ranked opponent after opponent where he was mainly winning by stoppages whilst barely getting hit or even losing rounds, is another example of what I mean when I state I enjoy boxers who show the best combination of offensive and defensive skills.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
        So puncher b makes puncher A miss alot of shot while not landing any in return? is that what you are trying to say?
        I don't mean necessarily not landing any punches in return, but landing less punches in return.

Boxer A lands more punches (effective and ineffective punches) whilst also missing more punches in a specific round. However, in the same round, boxer B makes boxer A miss more punches, but lands less whilst missing less as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
          I'd rather watch Mayweather (Canelo) toying and making opponents miss than Golovkin trying to bulldoze cans.
          I agree but Canelo ain't toying with nobody

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
            Most important winning more rounds and not getting stopped in the process.

Quality of punches is important too. So what if Fighter B lands 20 but Fighter A lands 15 harder shots.
            If the 15 shots don't hurt or bother fighter B they aren't any more effective than the 20 punches.

Comment

Landing obviously. Boxing is about landing punches at the end of the day.

Defense dont get you points

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
                Actually, defense is getting overrated these days. Many seem to think boxing skills are only about defensive skills. When in actual fact, it is a combination of offensive and defensive skills.

I'd rather watch a guy who displays both (boxer + knockout artist), over the boxer who only displays one (a brawling or being in survival mode / running).

Gennady Golovkin's performance against David Lemieux is one of the best examples of what I mean. Wladimir Klitschko's domination for over a decade against top ranked opponent after opponent where he was mainly winning by stoppages whilst barely getting hit or even losing rounds, is another example of what I mean when I state I enjoy boxers who show the best combination of offensive and defensive skills.
                Wlad grab and hugged to not get hit

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                  Wlad grab and hugged to not get hit
                  Andre Ward and Floyd Mayweather Jr didn't? Wlad has beat elite level / top ranked opposition multiple times using nothing but clean boxing. Wlad wasn't even much of a clincher prior to 2012 (his prime was from 2005 - 2012). A post prime Wlad clinched more frequently which was after 2012.

Wlad has destroyed and stopped elite / top ranked opponents consistently, in fights where he rarely clinched in his prime and also in bouts where he did clinch more than he should've. Andre Ward clinches and does far more fouling and can still barely stop any elite opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
                    Andre Ward and Floyd Mayweather Jr didn't? Wlad has beat elite level / top ranked opposition multiple times using nothing but clean boxing. Wlad wasn't even much of a clincher prior to 2012 (his prime was from 2005 - 2012). A post prime Wlad clinched more frequently which was after 2012.

Wlad has destroyed and stopped elite / top ranked opponents consistently, in fights where he rarely clinched in his prime and also in bouts where he did clinch more than he should've. Andre Ward clinches and does far more fouling and can still barely stop any elite opponent.
                    Why you bring up Floyd and Ward?
                    Who said they didn't clinch and hug?

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                      Why you bring up Floyd and Ward?
                      Who said they didn't clinch and hug?
                      Since that was the original topic of discussion (in response in my original post to the user that made the claim about enjoying boxers like Floyd Mayweather over Golovkin which you responded to).

Comment

Working...
                      X