Collapse
No announcement yet.

An argument for why Rigo doesn't lose against Loma the way Khan and Brook did

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An argument for why Rigo doesn't lose against Loma the way Khan and Brook did

Brook went up 13 pounds to face the heaviest handed fighter in boxing and he wasn't even the biggest puncher in his own weight class.

Brook also went into the fight and decided to exchange with GGG. One could say he was forced into it and if that were the case it really doesn't speak too well for Brook's skill set.

Lastly, Brook gains a lot of weight after weigh-ins so in this case I don't believe he trained harder for the GGG fight, I think he trained less as he didn't have to cut extra 13 pounds.

Now to Khan:

Amir moved up 8 pounds to face Canelo which is the same amount of weight that Rigo will be gaining (or is it, will discuss this later) to face Lomachenko. The problem with Khan moving up is the same as Brook's problem. He didn't have to gain that weight, he just had to lose less as he walks around 180 in between fights.

This is also not the first move up in weight for Khan. If I am not mistaken he started his career at 135 and going up 20 pounds in weight and having one of the glassiest chins in boxing against a very good puncher was just not a good idea at all.

Neither Khan nor Brook presented GGG and Canelo with any style problems or above average IQ, or a single intangible that could trouble GGG or Canelo.

Now to Rigo:

Rigo is moving up 8 pounds in weight to face Loma but on fight night Rigo weighs in at around 130 pounds. So for the Loma fight Rigo will not have to gain extra weight that could hinder his speed and stamina.

He also won't have to cut less weight for this fight the way Khan and Brook did.

Rigo is the biggest puncher at 122 and at 126. Loma is not the biggest puncher at 130. Loma beats down fighters by getting them tired and landing precise body shots. I have never seen Rigo get tired or get hit cleanly with a body shot, NOT ONCE!

Loma's bread and butter are his angles or the step around step against righties where he lands his signature shots. That is not an advantage against Rigo because Rigo is a southpaw himself and Rigo is a master of that angle game. It will be harder to corner Rigo and land body shots on him the way Loma has been able to do to his opposition. Neither Loma nor Rigo is as great when facing a fellow southpaw so that bodes well for Rigo.

I believe Rigo's problem against Loma might be his age and definitely his inactivity, and not having faced world class opponents in the past few years. This is never good for a fighter and I am sure Top Rank is banking on it or otherwise they wouldn't have made the fight. But if Rigo is the same fighter he was in the Donaire fight, going up in weight and facing Loma is not a problem the way it was for Khan and Brook.
    Last edited by pesticid; 09-15-2017, 07:14 PM.

I agree with this. Rigo is also more talented than brook or khan. Loma isn't a monster puncher like GGG nor will he have same power advantage that Canelo had over Khan. Loma will have size and more power but he just won't be able to eat Rigo's punches like they're nothing like GGG and Canelo did. Loma will box smart and I think try to strategically apply more pressure to land something big...But I don't know how the hell he's going to outsmart a guy like Rigo... I think we'll really see Loma's chin tested in this fight... Loma is going to have to eat some precision straight lefts from Rigo at some point. Loma usually has vastly superior footwork and speed than his opponents, but not in the fight. In fact, I give Rigo the speed and footwork edge... I think it would come down to who is the more skilled fighter, who can adapt faster

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
      Brook went up 13 pounds to face the heaviest handed fighter in boxing and he wasn't even the biggest puncher in his own weight class.

Brook also went into the fight and decided to exchange with GGG. One could say he was forced into it and if that were the case it really doesn't speak too well for Brook's skill set.

Lastly, Brook gains a lot of weight after weigh-ins so in this case I don't believe he trained harder for the GGG fight, I think he trained less as he didn't have to cut extra 13 pounds.

Now to Khan:

Amir moved up 8 pounds to face Canelo which is the same amount of weight that Rigo will be gaining (or is it, will discuss this later) to face Lomachenko. The problem with Khan moving up is the same as Brook's problem. He didn't have to gain that weight, he just had to lose less as he walks around 180 in between fights.

This is also not the first move up in weight for Khan. If I am not mistaken he started his career at 135 and going up 20 pounds in weight and having one of the glassiest chins in boxing against a very good puncher was just not a good idea at all.

Neither Khan nor Brook presented GGG and Canelo with any style problems or above average IQ, or a single intangible that could trouble GGG or Canelo.

Now to Rigo:

Rigo is moving up 8 pounds in weight to face Loma but on fight night Rigo weighs in at around 130 pounds. So for the Loma fight Rigo will not have to gain extra weight that could hinder his speed and stamina.

He also won't have to cut less weight for this fight the way Khan and Brook did.

Rigo is the biggest puncher at 122 and at 126. Loma is not the biggest puncher at 130. Loma beats down fighters by getting them tired and landing precise body shots. I have never seen Rigo get tired or get hit cleanly with a body shot, NOT ONCE!

Loma's bread and butter are his angles or the step around step against righties where he lands his signature shots. That is not an advantage against Rigo because Rigo is a southpaw himself and Rigo is a master of that angle game. It will be harder to corner Rigo and land body shots on him the way Loma has been able to do to his opposition. Neither Loma nor Rigo is as great when facing a fellow southpaw so that bodes well for Rigo.

I believe Rigo's problem against Loma might be his age and definitely his inactivity, and not having faced world class opponents in the past few years. This is never good for a fighter and I am sure Top Rank is banking on it or otherwise they wouldn't have made the fight. But if Rigo is the same fighter he was in the Donaire fight, going up in weight and facing Loma is not a problem the way it was for Khan and Brook.
      Lomachenko will have a considerable size advantage there's no denying that. But Rigo might have the skills to overcome it. This will be an ATG victory if Rigo pulls it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
        Lomachenko will have a considerable size advantage there's no denying that. But Rigo might have the skills to overcome it. This will be an ATG victory if Rigo pulls it off.
        I just keep thinking of how successful Gamboa was against Crawford until he got tired and reckless and Crawford could legitimately be p4p # 1. Well Rigo is levels above Gamboa and won't be giving up as much size as Gamboa did. Gamboa was fighting at the same time Rigo was fighting in Cuba and he was fighting at the 51kg division because Rigo was at the 54kg division. So size does win you the fights later in the fights the way Crawford beat Gamboa or Robinson couldn't keep going against Joey Maxim.

Comment

Probably good if the Cuban wins the fight.
          We can then have a rematch.
          Another rivalry this sport needs badly.
          Instead of reading the sames names every day.

Comment

If Rigo wins I am naming my first son El Chacal

But I am afraid Loma will crack that chin rather easily. Loma comes in at nearly 140 correct? There's just too much size between them at this point

Comment

When two great fighters match up, the bigger one will always have the advantage. I think that will be the deciding factor!

Comment

No doubt about it Loma has the size and youth advantage. But must not mean **** to rigo for him to take the fight...guess it would be the same as Gamboa v Crawford. All I know is this fight I am not missing

Comment

Working...
                X