No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Froch vs. Kessler II Showdown is Now Virtually Sold Out

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
    Because HBO/Showtime money typically dwarfs the gate.

Even if you assume 18,000 tickets at average of $100 it's only 1.8 million. Though I don't know how it breaks down I am sure the venue gets a good % of that or a healthy site fee that cuts into it.
    The pricerange is from £40 to £500 which is very likely an average well above $100.

And the site does not get payed to host the event. It pays. For that it gets the food and beverage sales.

I am not not sure what HBO/Sho would pay for the rights to the fight but it would be well over a million and maybe as much as two.

HBO/Sho however, will not offer that kind of money if the fight is happening in Europe and not in primetime in the USA. And it might not draw 18,000 in Vegas but it would draw a decent gate and probably at higher average ticket prices.
    That's a reach. Ward-Froch drew less than 5K in AC and tickets where given away as I recall it.

Not only that but I don't think Froch has that much issue with traveling to the USA. He's never gotten real respect from UK fans and they're only now jumping on his bandwagon after Haye and Khan turned out to be jokes.
    Froch was always adored in Nottingham and now it has spread to all over Britain.

Comment

Checked out the site yesterday, only the really expensive tickets were left. This fight will be huge on box office. Well worth shelling out for. Froch!!!!

Comment

Not only that but I don't think Froch has that much issue with traveling to the USA. He's never gotten real respect from UK fans and they're only now jumping on his bandwagon after Haye and Khan turned out to be jokes.
        Not really sure that's fair. It has a lot to do with exposure. A lot of the casuals either weren't aware of him or hadn't watched him fight. Froch had no Olympic platform to promote him like Khan.

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Not really sure that's fair. It has a lot to do with exposure. A lot of the casuals either weren't aware of him or hadn't watched him fight. Froch had no Olympic platform to promote him like Khan.
          And let's not forget he was in the dark for years with no promotion what so ever.

His Super Six run was on Primetime for crying out loud.

Comment

Because HBO/Showtime money typically dwarfs the gate.

Even if you assume 18,000 tickets at average of $100 it's only 1.8 million. Though I don't know how it breaks down I am sure the venue gets a good % of that or a healthy site fee that cuts into it.

I am not not sure what HBO/Sho would pay for the rights to the fight but it would be well over a million and maybe as much as two.

HBO/Sho however, will not offer that kind of money if the fight is happening in Europe and not in primetime in the USA. And it might not draw 18,000 in Vegas but it would draw a decent gate and probably at higher average ticket prices.

Tickets + £15 PPV and the fight in America doesn't make anywhere near as much as in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
              And let's not forget he was in the dark for years with no promotion what so ever.

His Super Six run was on Primetime for crying out loud.
              Plus he fights like an orangutan and blocks punches with his face. We always knew he was a hard bastard, but he's exceeded everyone's expectations at world level considering his 'unorthodox' style.

I don't think anyone in the UK really took Khan seriously did they? For the past few years I've felt he's had a bigger following in the US than over here.

Haye is still a draw, but has been a big let down when it comes to backing up the talk. Chisora was more like it, but he needs to pull that out of the bag against better opposition. Why he ever felt he should give Audley Harrison a fight I will never know, it almost killed his career. I mean, what does it say about you, as a world champion (at the time), to give a clown like Audley a shot at the title?

Comment

Originally posted by cameltoe View Post
                Plus he fights like an orangutan and blocks punches with his face. We always knew he was a hard bastard, but he's exceeded everyone's expectations at world level considering his 'unorthodox' style.

I don't think anyone in the UK really took Khan seriously did they? For the past few years I've felt he's had a bigger following in the US than over here.

Haye is still a draw, but has been a big let down when it comes to backing up the talk. Chisora was more like it, but he needs to pull that out of the bag against better opposition. Why he ever felt he should give Audley Harrison a fight I will never know, it almost killed his career. I mean, what does it say about you, as a world champion (at the time), to give a clown like Audley a shot at the title?
                Yeah that was the main thing with Froch. He came onto the scene all guns blazing, talking incredible trash whilst doing nothing, but, he looked horrible. He didn't look like he was going anywhere in the sport, lacked speed, skills, ability etc so of course he rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way which may have been why plenty wouldn't go near him for a while, who knows.

Khan was taken seriously, for sure. Everyone's been hyping him up since he was 17. People expect him to do well, even now. We'll see how his career goes. I believe he'll be world champion again.

As for Haye, well, he just couldn't turn down that pay day with Audley Massive joke of a fight. But the £££ was clearly there and he knew the casuals would be conned into buying it.

I think Froch deserves to be the face of UK boxing but sadly he isn't.

Comment

Froch has got this!

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                    Froch was always adored in Nottingham and now it has spread to all over Britain.
                    hometown following alone does not make a big domestic star. like he said, the general casual fanbase are only now coming to his bandwagon. Froch had been criminally neglected in the UK over the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                      Yeah that was the main thing with Froch. He came onto the scene all guns blazing, talking incredible trash whilst doing nothing, but, he looked horrible. He didn't look like he was going anywhere in the sport, lacked speed, skills, ability etc so of course he rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way which may have been why plenty wouldn't go near him for a while, who knows.

Khan was taken seriously, for sure. Everyone's been hyping him up since he was 17. People expect him to do well, even now. We'll see how his career goes. I believe he'll be world champion again.

As for Haye, well, he just couldn't turn down that pay day with Audley Massive joke of a fight. But the £££ was clearly there and he knew the casuals would be conned into buying it.

I think Froch deserves to be the face of UK boxing but sadly he isn't.
                      Khan.... Maybe, but I remember seeing him put in some piss poor performances early on in his career against people like Gomez, McCloskey, and of course, Prescott, and not really thinking he had what it took. Plus he still fights like an amateur. I'm a fan though, but he needs to sit down on his punches more and learn to control the centre of the ring. Too often he has way too much movement and fights like an amateur. If he could economise his skills he could be great. Garcia etc would never find those openings if he just took his time. Hopefully Virgil will make the difference.
                      Last edited by cameltoe; 02-06-2013, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X