Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bodybuilding to Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't that fellow Butterbean knocked out - Louis Monaco, a bodybuilder before he started boxing? He obviously wasn't very good, although I think he improved a bit as he fought more. Frank Bruno looked a bit like a bodybuilder. He was solid as a rock. It probably didn't do him any favours, though.

Comment

Here's a good article from Rosstraining
      Train the body as a unit, not a collection of small pieces .
      Focus most of your time around compound movements .
      Develop a strong core .
      Incorporate variety into your strength program .
      Do not limit yourself to one modality .
      Target multiple strength qualities .
      Steer clear of failure when training for pure strength .
      Never sacrifice skill and conditioning for strength work .
      Focus on quality over quantity .
      Keep strength workouts brief, 2 to 3 days per week .
      http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html

Comment

Originally posted by Wood23ard View Post
        Has anyone done this? I am, i've wanted to for ages but i was so hooked into bodybuilding i've been putting it off again and again (When i say hooked, i don't think i missed a workout/meal in 8months and it was really unhealthy.

However 2 weeks ago i fell ill, haven't worked out since and frankly don't give a ****! When i first fell ill i was really worried about losing size etc. but i really don't care anymore and tommorow i take my first steps to becoming a boxer, i am going with my friend (who has been trying to get me to go for ages) i am so excited and feel i have wasted a year of my life bodybuilding but i'm SO pleased to have gotten out of it, feel like a new person.

Anyways, like i said i'm starting boxing tommorow. What do i need to know? What will i likely to be asked to do on the first day? My cardio is awful, really awful but i'm working on that.

Also what sort of stuff will i need, i can borrow stuff of my friend for a few lessons but i'd like to use my own gear. Anyone else gone from bbing to boxing?
        Have you heard of Ross Enamait? The guy is a beast and has a website. It has a lot of useful information. http://www.rosstraining.com

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
          Here's a good article from Rosstraining
          Train the body as a unit, not a collection of small pieces .
          Focus most of your time around compound movements .
          Develop a strong core .
          Incorporate variety into your strength program .
          Do not limit yourself to one modality .
          Target multiple strength qualities .
          Steer clear of failure when training for pure strength .
          Never sacrifice skill and conditioning for strength work .
          Focus on quality over quantity .
          Keep strength workouts brief, 2 to 3 days per week .
          http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...htraining.html
          You beat me to it.

Comment

consider ignoring anyone you don't know who calls you "son."

Comment

Just got back and LOVED it, he didn't realise it was my first time an put me in soft sparring first thing lol. We swapped partners every minute, i did get hit ALOT but it was all good. I went and spoke to the coach afterwards and he sent one of the other guys to do some one on one stuff with me for the lesson (the main coach was busy focusing on someone who has a fight next week)

Can't wait for next week, gonna start doing 2 days a week, 2 hours each time and then do other stuff at home.

Comment

get ready to loose that hard earned muscle, but that will only benefit towards boxing, having unnecessary bulk drains the body of stamina, muscles require energy and oxygen forcing your heart to work extra hard during intense physical activity such as boxing. you will also get quicker and lighter on your feet as you trim down your weight.

Comment

Working...
                X